Did My Dog Dislodge Any Grafts?

I realize this could be seen as a silly neurotic question, and I feel the common sense answer is already "Hell no you're grafts are fine". But to be completely honest this incident has nonetheless caused me so much anxiety and worry and I think validation from the forum will help me put this issue to bed. It's really the only issue that has caused me significant stress post-op. If I can just stop worrying about this stupid item I can really relax and have an easy recovery period. 

I flew home on Day 2 post op. My mom picked me up from the airport and had the dog in the car with her. 

I was in the front passenger seat and the dog in the back. The dog was super excited to see me and for a few moments got really close to my scalp and may have scratched the left temple recipient area. She was smelling my scalp a whole lot too. I'm sure all the surgery smells really excited her. 

Mind you I had my surgery headwrap thing on this entire time, so there was that small barrier between the dog and my scalp. 

I got home and did not see any blood in the recipient area or in the headwrap. I did not observe any dislodged grafts either (but perhaps they could have fallen out unobserved by me?)

Below are four pictures I took as soon as I got home, of the area my dog may have scratched. The glare is from my camera. 

I am just being super excessively anxious about this right? There was no damage done? Please be honest.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Edited by HappyMan2021

• Moderators

If you aren't seeing any problems then as you said "Hell no you're grafts are fine"

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I understand why you'd be alarmed and obsessing over this, as I'd probably do the same. However, I really do think you're fine here and there's nothing to worry about. The general rule to follow about dislodged/damages grafts is that they are always accompanied by pain and bleeding - neither of which you experienced. The pictures look fine as well. That said, I'd definitely keep the dog away from your scalp for the rest of the healing process! ;)

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

HappyMan,

Given the circumstances, I understand your concerns.  After all your newly transplanted hair is vulnerable only two days after surgery.  The good news is however, you did not see any blood and your recipient area looks fine in the photos. To be honest, I don’t think your dog caused any damage to your grafts.  Try not to stress about it and hopefully this gives you some comfort.

Best wishes,

Bill

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.