After 2 months post-op, grafts can't be dislodged but can they be damaged by applied pressure on the scalp?

Hello friends,

I am 2 months (56 days) post-op.

I know that at this point grafts are securely rooted and can't be dislodged but can they be damaged if someone gripped/holded the recipient area firmly with applying some pressure for about 5-10 minutes with one hand? No blood and pain, just felt some pressure. 

You may wonder under what circumstances it could happen to me but it did happen to me today so I am wondering if it could damage the hair bulb/hair root.

I am ashamed to tell you this but you should know the details to be able to evaluate the situation accurately. 

I was so stressed about my hair because of some little mistakes and someone suggested to go to priest to make calm our soul by reading holy book so that get rid of being under stress. But the opposite happened, it raised my anxiety even more. I was kinda shy to tell him not to touch my scalp because he was saying outloud words and i could not interrupt him, i know that i was stupid not to tell. He held firmly my recipient area with his one hand.

Our non-transplant hairs have been so many times under pressure in different situations and no problem happened to them. What about transplanted grafts, do they act same in such situations or are they fragile and vulnerable after being extracted and transplanted?

I really appreciate your answers, i just want to have an idea of its consequences.

Edited by Urmat
Added some more info.

1 hour ago, Cantstandya said:

huh?

Basically OP went to a priest as a friend thought spirits may be affecting him and the priest grabbed onto the OPs head and applied quite firm pressure. 

OP now's wondering if his grafts despite being surgically scarred will get traumatised due to what he thought was excessive pressure. 

My feeling is no, but somebody else can chime in. 2 months is the ugly duckling phase, usually. I don't know why you felt "mistakes" would have affected your hair OP and its entirely your business to keep that private but you should be fine. Just wait it out. You got 10 more months. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Basically OP went to a priest as a friend thought spirits may be affecting him and the priest grabbed onto the OPs head and applied quite firm pressure. 

OP now's wondering if his grafts despite being surgically scarred will get traumatised due to what he thought was excessive pressure. 

My feeling is no, but somebody else can chime in. 2 months is the ugly duckling phase, usually. I don't know why you felt "mistakes" would have affected your hair OP and its entirely your business to keep that private but you should be fine. Just wait it out. You got 10 more months. 

Yeah, makes total sense now 😵💫😵💫😵💫

1 hour ago, Cantstandya said:

Yeah, makes total sense now 😵💫😵💫😵💫

Sorry, meant surgically secured, not scarred lol. 

The gist of it is that OP wants to know if somebody applying firm pressure on the top of the head for a short time with their hand palm down could cause any issues. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, it sounds very strange. But there is a belief in our religion that reading that book may help when you can't get relaxed while being under excessive stress. 

My friend did not tell that spirits may be affecting me, i wanted to tell that it could heal our soul not spirit, i used a wrong word. I was stressed because i thought maybe i went to wrong clinic, used tap water etc. that my result will be very bad. So he suggested to go there. As stress is also bad for hair, i just went there thinking maybe it could help. It didn't :)))), i want to have a really good result that I am ready to do msny things for that even such things that may sound crazy😀

Edited by Urmat

2 hours ago, Urmat said:

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, it sounds very strange. But there is a belief in our religion that reading that book may help when you can't get relaxed while being under excessive stress. 

My friend did not tell that spirits may be affecting me, i wanted to tell that it could heal our soul not spirit, i used a wrong word. I was stressed because i thought maybe i went to wrong clinic, used tap water etc. that my result will be very bad. So he suggested to go there. As stress is also bad for hair, i just went there thinking maybe it could help. It didn't :)))), i want to have a really good result that I am ready to do msny things for that even such things that may sound crazy😀

I think you need to just relax. It's only been 2 months and you will likely be in the stage known as the "Ugly Duckling" phase where the majority of the hair fall out and then start to regrow. This is perfectly normal and to be expected. By the 12 month and beyond, you have i would say 96-99% of your results generally. It's at that point you might have to see whether there's any real issues. 

The clinic you chose and what was done usually determines the success of your hair transplant and not little things at 2 months like using tap water or somebody touching your head with a bit of pressure. 

• Thanks 1

Urmat,

First of all, don’t be ashamed of your situation. Nothing you experienced was your fault. I find it odd that the priest did that and frankly, I’d like to know why. That being said, none of that is your fault so don’t be embarrassed or ashamed.

Also, your transplanted hair is deeply rooted and should be just about if not completely secure as your natural hair. Therefore, if the same kind of pressure was applied to your natural hair and you feel you wouldn’t have a problem, then the same can be said about your transplanted hair.

Long story short, it will take a whole lot of pulling to damage your Transplant hair and cause it to fall out.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I don't think you have anything to worry about in regards to the pressure applied to yours scalp. Those grafts have long been secure, and there's no way someone applying pressure like that could ruin them. 

I hope you find ways to relax and alleviate your stress, though I know it can be difficult to do. The waiting is often the hardest part of the entire hair transplant process, so you'll just need to find ways to not obsess over it. The work has been done, and now all you can do is wait and see how it all turns out - and hope for the best. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thank you so much for taking time and replying. 

I checked my scalp right away if there was blood or dislodged graft and everything seemed ok. I was just wondering even if they don't fall out, can they be damaged while being under epidermis/scalp. After hair transplant, I am thinking the grafts are very fragile that they can be hurt easily, I hope I am wrong and just overthinking. 

Edited by Urmat
Corrected mistake.

If your transplant was performed correctly  and you followed the post op instructions for the first 2 weeks then NOTHING my friend can damage your grafts 2 months post op except some major trauma such as some major scalp injury from car accident for example, some severe accidental burn etc....

Other than that, even if you bump your head relly hard or even if you do a boxing match it will make absolutely no difference to the final outcome of your transplant. 

If you experience poor growth, then chances are your hair transplant was poorly performed to begin with. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:13 PM, Urmat said:

Hello friends,

I am 2 months (56 days) post-op.

I know that at this point grafts are securely rooted and can't be dislodged but can they be damaged if someone gripped/holded the recipient area firmly with applying some pressure for about 5-10 minutes with one hand? No blood and pain, just felt some pressure. 

You may wonder under what circumstances it could happen to me but it did happen to me today so I am wondering if it could damage the hair bulb/hair root.

I am ashamed to tell you this but you should know the details to be able to evaluate the situation accurately. 

I was so stressed about my hair because of some little mistakes and someone suggested to go to priest to make calm our soul by reading holy book so that get rid of being under stress. But the opposite happened, it raised my anxiety even more. I was kinda shy to tell him not to touch my scalp because he was saying outloud words and i could not interrupt him, i know that i was stupid not to tell. He held firmly my recipient area with his one hand.

Our non-transplant hairs have been so many times under pressure in different situations and no problem happened to them. What about transplanted grafts, do they act same in such situations or are they fragile and vulnerable after being extracted and transplanted?

I really appreciate your answers, i just want to have an idea of its consequences.

There's nothing to worry about. Even if pressure is applied after the 2nd month, it is still okay. You will not be able to damage the grafts.

22 minutes ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

There's nothing to worry about. Even if pressure is applied after the 2nd month, it is still okay. You will not be able to damage the grafts.

Thank you so much for your reply. It was really stupid of me going there and believing such things. 

It is so great that such network exists and we can get experts opinions. 

• Thanks 1