Hello 

Sorry to hear abour your experience. 

I don't wanna sound pessimistic or jump to early conclusions but like you said yourself things aren't looking great for 6.5 months. 

There is still room for some  improvement but I wouldn't expect miracles at this stage. 

Try to stay optimistic and Insha-Allah it will improve until the 8-10 month mark. 🙏

To answer your question more specifically, there are many different reasons for poor survival. The 2 most frequent are

-Poor extracting skills. This often happens in turkish hairmills when uneducated technicians "transect" the grafts during extraction. Those grafts generally do not survive. 

-Poor handling of the grafts. Crushing the grafts during handling, letting them dry out while on the gloves, spending too much time outside the scalp etc...

There are also some very rare conditions that can cause poor growth like scarring alopecia, lichen planopilaris, scalp infection or weak donor area affected by DHT-caused DUPA. 

In your case the 2 first are more likely. 

Where did you get your procedure done ? 

6 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Usually, even with good surgeons, it takes two surgeries to get really ideal density. 

maybe....I just had surgery with an elite doc. In the post op review we were reviewing density with a periscope device and he got 80cm2 in some areas. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

maybe....I just had surgery with an elite doc. In the post op review we were reviewing density with a periscope device and he got 80cm2 in some areas. 

Damn that is impressive.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Damn that is impressive.

i'll say! I have a great donor and great hair caliber so the doctor could be pretty liberal. 

I do think with your average doctor, and even your good but not great B-list doctors, a "satisfactory" result will be 40-50cm2 on one pass. 

Boys, thanks for advice. To be fair to the clinic they've been very responsive in answering my queries so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt until 12 months when I know it can't improve rather than harm their rep now. If mods think that's unfair then no problem I can delete this post and come back then. 

With regards to how my post op photos versus my other photos look:

1. Do you see the empty lines between the donor and recipient? Is this simply an area they forgot to fill? 

2. If I cant see new hairs sprouting through, do you think this means this is my final point in terms of density? 

• Administrators

There’s no such thing as 6.5 month failures. You’re only halfway. Wait until 12 months to cast judgment. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.