Minoxidil

High blood pressure is pretty common, the cdc estimates are about half of US adults have it to some degree. The topical minoxidil box panel below for a popular brand, kirkland, doesn't mention hypertension specifically, just to consult your doctor if you have heart disease. While minoxidil was original developed to treat high blood pressure, there's alot better and safer stuff out for doing that now. I wouldn't consider the oral minoxidil if you already have some cardiovascular issues, like high blood pressure, especially if you already taking medication for that.

Back to the topical minoxidil, high blood pressure is just a risk factor for eventually developing heart disease. The important questions are whether your high blood pressure is being effectively managed now with doctor supervision, and whether you have been diagnosed with heart disease. If you do get the green light from your doctor to take the minoxidil, I'd still recommend getting one of those little home blood pressure monitors and keep a log of your readings for a few weeks to see if it effects your blood pressure to any significant degree.

https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm

image.png.f18cbc323dbc230e2919bbd4bb730d14.png

Whufcdanny95,

Are you using oral or topical minoxidil?  I think this question is best asked of your doctor.  But here's my opinion.  If minoxidil is helping you and you feel it's either slowing down,  stopping or reversing the progression of male pattern baldness and you don't feel that you're experiencing any side effects, then you are probably safe in continuing its use.   That said, I think it'd be wise to monitor your blood pressure and make sure it isn't climbing or getting worse.  Again, I also suggest speaking to your primary care physician.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

4 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Whufcdanny95,

Are you using oral or topical minoxidil?  I think this question is best asked of your doctor.  But here's my opinion.  If minoxidil is helping you and you feel it's either slowing down,  stopping or reversing the progression of male pattern baldness and you don't feel that you're experiencing any side effects, then you are probably safe in continuing its use.   That said, I think it'd be wise to monitor your blood pressure and make sure it isn't climbing or getting worse.  Again, I also suggest speaking to your primary care physician.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

I've been using oral minoxidil 2.5mg. Also my heart rate was slightly high at last reading and I don't know if the minoxidil may be causing that. I do have a review in 4 weeks, so I'm thinking carrying on how I am but eating better and exercising more and then speak to the doctor and see what they suggest with the minoxidil going forward 

4 hours ago, ciaus said:

High blood pressure is pretty common, the cdc estimates are about half of US adults have it to some degree. The topical minoxidil box panel below for a popular brand, kirkland, doesn't mention hypertension specifically, just to consult your doctor if you have heart disease. While minoxidil was original developed to treat high blood pressure, there's alot better and safer stuff out for doing that now. I wouldn't consider the oral minoxidil if you already have some cardiovascular issues, like high blood pressure, especially if you already taking medication for that.

Back to the topical minoxidil, high blood pressure is just a risk factor for eventually developing heart disease. The important questions are whether your high blood pressure is being effectively managed now with doctor supervision, and whether you have been diagnosed with heart disease. If you do get the green light from your doctor to take the minoxidil, I'd still recommend getting one of those little home blood pressure monitors and keep a log of your readings for a few weeks to see if it effects your blood pressure to any significant degree.

https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm

image.png.f18cbc323dbc230e2919bbd4bb730d14.png

Appreciate your response mate. Maybe I should consider swapping oral back to topical