Recipient Area Bumps 14 Days Post-Op

Hello HRN community,

I am at 14 days post-FUE (3000 grafts to lower hairline) and I'm seeing a lot of bumps in the recipient area (photos attached). My clinic says that these are pimples and should go away on their own, but I wanted to check with the community for a second opinion and advice.

I'm hoping that these bumps are just pimples from excess oil, and I'll continue to wash the area twice per day. But I've heard bad stories about cobblestoning, subcutaneous scarring etc. so I wanted to check here. How do these photos look?

recipient area 1.jpg

recipient area 2.jpg

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Argentina2Japan said:

Hello HRN community,

I am at 14 days post-FUE (3000 grafts to lower hairline) and I'm seeing a lot of bumps in the recipient area (photos attached). My clinic says that these are pimples and should go away on their own, but I wanted to check with the community for a second opinion and advice.

I'm hoping that these bumps are just pimples from excess oil, and I'll continue to wash the area twice per day. But I've heard bad stories about cobblestoning, subcutaneous scarring etc. so I wanted to check here. How do these photos look?

recipient area 1.jpg

recipient area 2.jpg

Have you cleaned off the scabs? They could be residual scabs. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hello Melvin, thanks for your reply!

I was the guy from a few days ago who had very heavy scabbing; you advised me that it didn't look good, and I had to wash ASAP.

I think I was too gentle, and worried about dislodging my grafts. I was washing them by pouring shampoo/water mix over them, without touching.

I soaked them in shampoo and conditioner at day 11 and 12, and they all came off very easily.

I think these bumps may be clogged pores/acne from having scabs too long...but am also concerned about something more serious like folliculitis or cobblestoning/scarring.

Pimples are certainly expected at this point but you may want to contact your surgeon.  Glad to hear the scabbing came off cleanly.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Doesn't look infected.  To me the white stuff looks like crusts.  Unless I'm just not seeing what you're talking about, nothing looks awful.  It wouldn't hurt to contact your surgeon, though.  

Great to hear.  Send us pictures of your progress in 3-4 months.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 months later...