Wellbutrin (bupropion) after hair transplant

Axel

I used to be prescribed bupropion for anxiety and adhd and was wondering if anyone had an experience with this particular medication post hair transplant? It's known to cause hairloss/thinning, but my main question would be in regard to its use directly after a hair transplant. I'm two weeks post transplant and wondering if it could possibly affect the establishment of the new hair grafts and their productivity. 

Edited by Axel

• Administrators

Stress and anxiety is worse for your hair. I’m not aware of this medication causing hair loss. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yeah, I'd read about the risk of thinning from SSRIs and bupropion as well a long while back. It doesn't seem to affect everyone. But I agree, stress and anxiety probably also cause hair loss lol. Also, congrats on successfully quitting smoking! Here's a link regarding antidepressants and hairloss if interested:

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/wk/incps/2018/00000033/00000001/art00004

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=0&q=Bupropion+hair+loss&hl=en&as_sdt=0,44#d=gs_qabs&t=1654575668470&u=%23p%3DbkuVTFBSTqgJ

"Compared with bupropion (Wellbutrin), all other antidepressants had a lower risk of hair loss, with fluoxetine and paroxetine having the lowest risk."

"Studies have found that all other antidepressants have a lower risk of hair loss compared to bupropion." 

Edited by Axel