Protecting scalp from UV?

Do baseball caps sufficiently protect the recipient area after HT?

I'm 1 month post-op and I've tried to limit sun exposure. When I'm forced to go outside or drive I wear a baseball cap to protect my recipient area from the sun. 
I have not been outside long enough to get a sunburn although I've driven for a couple of hours in my car and wore a baseball cap the entire time.
Is that safe?

Edited by hairyharry

3 hours ago, BaldBobby said:

I was told the harm comes from direct sunlight so driving in a car should be fine unless you have a sunroof open. 

Thanks for the response. I always wear a hat when outside. I guess my question is "As long as I wear a hat outside, does that fully protect the recipient site?" I suspect the answer is "yes" but looking for confirmation if true. Thanks

Edited by hairyharry

@hairyharryIf you are concerned about UV radiation, you can tint all your windows including front windshield of your car. That would block out a lot of the harmful UV rays. Additionally, you can spary on some scalp sunscreen.

11 minutes ago, Antlor said:

@hairyharryIf you are concerned about UV radiation, you can tint all your windows including front windshield of your car. That would block out a lot of the harmful UV rays. Additionally, you can spary on some scalp sunscreen.

@Antlor Is this what you did after your HT?

I had my second HT about 2 months ago. Well I had my car windows tinted a few years ago. Yes, I do spray sunscreen on my scalp and then rub it for thorough coverage. Note that I use sunscreen frequently and application to my scalp is a new regimen for me now. 

9 hours ago, Antlor said:

I had my second HT about 2 months ago. Well I had my car windows tinted a few years ago. Yes, I do spray sunscreen on my scalp and then rub it for thorough coverage. Note that I use sunscreen frequently and application to my scalp is a new regimen for me now. 

OP: "Do baseball caps sufficiently protect the recipient area after HT?" Short of tinting my car windows and using sunscreen on my scalp, will a baseball cap sufficiently protect the recipient area 1-6 months after HT?

Edited by hairyharry

Hairyharry,

A baseball cap should work just fine in protecting your newly transplanted scalp from the sun.  I employed this method several times as I had for hair transplants. After the first one I actually went to the beach two days later which admittedly wasn’t the best idea in the world.  But I already had scheduled plans with friends amd I didn’t want to cancel.   My transplant and my scalp were very well protected although it was quite hot and I did sweat.   Sweating won’t hurt anything but it can make your scalp itch and scratching isn’t a good idea.

Long story short, a baseball cap will work just fine and protecting yourself from the sun however, make sure that there is no mesh material on top. I find that the fitted hats work the best but it needs to be a lose for for the first week.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

25 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Hairyharry,

A baseball cap should work just fine in protecting your newly transplanted scalp from the sun.  I employed this method several times as I had for hair transplants. After the first one I actually went to the beach two days later which admittedly wasn’t the best idea in the world.  But I already had scheduled plans with friends amd I didn’t want to cancel.   My transplant and my scalp were very well protected although it was quite hot and I did sweat.   Sweating won’t hurt anything but it can make your scalp itch and scratching isn’t a good idea.

Long story short, a baseball cap will work just fine and protecting yourself from the sun however, make sure that there is no mesh material on top. I find that the fitted hats work the best but it needs to be a lose for for the first week.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thanks for your response. This is exactly what I was looking for! 

1 hour ago, hairyharry said:

Thanks for your response. This is exactly what I was looking for! 

May be overkill, but if you are prone or have a family history of skin cancer in general, and are outdoors alot, may be worthwhile to look into "UPF" rated products. 

Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) indicates how much UV radiation (both UVB and UVA) a fabric allows to reach your skin.

https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-prevention/sun-protection/sun-protective-clothing/

On 6/6/2022 at 8:33 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Hairyharry,

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

My office desk faces floor to ceiling windows. Although it faces north and I'm not getting direct sunlight there is sunlight coming into the room. Is there any concern about UV damaging my newly transplanted hair from this or is the concern only with a sunburn from direct sunlight?

Edited by hairyharry