Can SMP fix this low density? (previous FUE)

I got a hair transplant 13 months ago and got my temples done, and I'm not happy with the results. The clinic have offered to add some more density for free, but im not sure if I wanna go through the whole process again.

I think they overharvested my donor area, and I don't want them to make it look even worse. Im only 30 so I want to save some for the future if needed. Im also afraid for permanent shock loss that will affect my native hair.

The whole process was not so fun, not being able to go out without a hat for the whole summer.

The thing is that I've talked to a SMP clinic that said that they could fix this very easy with SMP, and I will do anything to avoid going through the hair transplant process again. Do you think SMP would be a good option? With Toppik it looked dense and full.

The whole situation is killing my mental health for real. I've heard guys with dark hair and pale skin more often have this problems, and that SMP would be a good solution to make it look denser. 

All three pictures was taken recently.

ht11.jpg

htttt3.jpg

ht22.jpg

Your native hair was already super dense so this was going to be a challenge. The temple reconstruction already looked like a pretty nice dense pack, so I wouldnt really blame the surgeon that much. A lot of times a second pass is needed in cases like yours imo. SMP would do the trick for sure but what about Toppik with the sprayer? Just two sprays of fibers in each temple would certainly do the trick before each time you went out.

32 minutes ago, ML488 said:

Your native hair was already super dense so this was going to be a challenge. The temple reconstruction already looked like a pretty nice dense pack, so I wouldnt really blame the surgeon that much. A lot of times a second pass is needed in cases like yours imo. SMP would do the trick for sure but what about Toppik with the sprayer? Just two sprays of fibers in each temple would certainly do the trick before each time you went out.

Thx for reply. Toppik works really good, but I want something a little more permantent. Applying it everyday and freaking out if it's gonna rain is my two biggest issues.

• Like 1

Batman,

It would definitely help if we saw some photos of your scalp from a bit further away. These close-ups show that your natural hair is incredibly dents and the transponder hair, while quite dense it’s just simply not as dense as your natural hair.

The truth is, most patients aren’t candidates for “true density“ hair transplant procedures.  While true density can be performed by surgeons who perform state of the art hair transplant surgery , it is not always practical especially because most patients either have too much hair loss or will progress to that point at some point in the future. In either case, it’s important that surgeons make the best use of the limited donor hair and keep enough in reserve for further recession.

The few patients who have established hair loss patterns in the lower Norwood classes and/or have stabilized their hair loss with medication for years maybe eligible for true density hair transplants where the density of the transplanted hair matches their natural hair density.

Either way of course, the hairline itself should be a bit finer in appearance using finer single haired follicular units in the first row followed by double and multi haired follicular units behind it to add density.

Regarding your case, without seeing photos of your hair from a bit more of a distance, it’s difficult to evaluate it’s naturalness.  But in looking at the close-ups, there does seem to be an obvious difference between the density of a transplanted hair and your natural hair.

If you are a candidate for it, you can go back for more density in the hairline so that the transplanted hair either gradually increases in density until it hits the natural hair or transplanted hair is added in between and around the previous transplant, creating true density. 

Unless you’re planning on shaving your hair down to a one guard, I’m not so sure that SMP would be the solution here especially in the hairline.  If you were trying to add the illusion of density further back such as in the crown or the Scott midsection, I’d feel differently but in this case, I think adding density with actual hair would be ideal if you’re a candidate for it.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

OP, your hair is super short and because the density is almost never matched with native density in a single pass due to the "50% rule of thumb", when grown out to a longer hairstyle and length, the temporal areas probably won't seem as bad. 

However, the frontal hairline does have a natural feathered look on the temporal area when grown out it looks like too.

I do think SMP would help, but if you truly want to add density, a 2nd procedure is needed imo. 

8 hours ago, ML488 said:

topic works on the hairline?

Thx for all the replies!

I have a second transplant booked next week for free, but I don’t know if I should cancel it and go for the SMP or not. My biggest fear is my donor area getting more sparse.

I will upload some pictures of my donor area, the first one is from when I trimmed it down without a guard, and the second is from two weeks growth after that. What do you think of the donor? I also fixed my crown in case you wondering why they took so much.

I will also upload an image that shows my temples little more far away. I don’t now about the redness though, everytime I touch the area it still gets red. Does it mean it still haven’t healed yet? You think it's still in it's maturing and thickening phase?

So these are my options:

1. Fix the temples with second HT and hope my donor can do it?

2. Fix temples with SMP

3. Hide the temple area with bangs.

4. Hide it with toppik for the rest of my life

0485E81E-AD82-4A01-B0DE-CAD246400970.jpeg

2F8C3689-1B35-4997-B0CC-6B2AEDEA6D96.jpeg

2BAAC3E5-FC03-4A43-A5AB-468D92B8F568.jpeg

Edited by batman1122

If available to you, you should consider SMP on the donor area also. :)
It does look overharvested, especially since you only got your temples done.

SMP should do the trick, rooting for you. ^-^

(For reference, same area; with and without SMP - note it's still healing so the dots are thicker and darker than the final result)
image.thumb.png.2f9624156a33f5ae445f56f81f1e5a6c.png

Edited by SeanToman

• 7 months later...
On 6/7/2022 at 4:05 PM, SeanToman said:

If available to you, you should consider SMP on the donor area also. :)
It does look overharvested, especially since you only got your temples done.

SMP should do the trick, rooting for you. ^-^

(For reference, same area; with and without SMP - note it's still healing so the dots are thicker and darker than the final result)
image.thumb.png.2f9624156a33f5ae445f56f81f1e5a6c.png

Crazy good results. How long did you wait to get smp done on your recipient area? How long would it be ok to get it done on your donor? Also do you think smp would be good for work on the side corners of an fue if it wasnt dense?