Had a Hot Burnt Feeling on Scalp while Blow Drying ? Hair Loss Possible ?

jooeey

Hi Guys,

I have had transplant in the past I just had a quick question. I was trying to style my hair using blow dryer and I am a little new, I am beginner, a new starter as far as blow drying and using hair dryer for styling hair is concerned. I think by mistake I kept the hair dryer a few more seconds at one spot, instead of keeping it moving and that kind of gave me a hot burning feeling on my scalp my question is could this one time incident cause any hair loss ? This was just one time incident that happened with me there was no visible or evident injury, or mark or anything that I can see. Just the hot burning feeling and sensation on my scalp. Could this cause hair loss?

Edited by jooeey

• Administrators

Use the blowdryer on cool next time.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Use the blowdryer on cool next time.

Hi Melvin,

Yes I do get that, but what about the incident that has already happened ? Can such a one time incident pose any potential threat ? I did see some hair in the bathroom sink when I washed my hair, not many around 40-50 hair strands but those maybe also from my daily telogen hairfall that even a normal person has. I am not suffering from any aggressive hairloss last few years because I have been on Minoxidil and Finasteride/Dutasteride on and off.

So I don't think the 40-50 Hair Strands that I saw in the bathroom sink were actually androgenetic alopecia hairloss. But you never know.

So can an one time incident of getting scalp burn because of blow drying cause any immediate hair loss ?

Edited by jooeey

• Administrators

You should be fine

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You’ll be absolutely fine, you’re worrying for no reason.

I would imagine you’d have to seriously damage your skin deep into the dermis to affect the hair follicle. More like severe burns that would lead to scarring rather than a hot scalp from a hair dryer.

Think about even when you burn yourself badly in the sun - the hair on your arms, legs, chest or whatever doesn’t fall out and the follicles are left completely undamaged even though you’ve actually caused quite a bit of damage to the skin. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JDEE0 said:

You’ll be absolutely fine, you’re worrying for no reason.

I would imagine you’d have to seriously damage your skin deep into the dermis to affect the hair follicle. More like severe burns that would lead to scarring rather than a hot scalp from a hair dryer.

Think about even when you burn yourself badly in the sun - the hair on your arms, legs, chest or whatever doesn’t fall out and the follicles are left completely undamaged even though you’ve actually caused quite a bit of damage to the skin. 

Just got more worried because the next very day of my hair wash and I see around 40-50 Hair Strands in the Bathroom that was unprecedented !! I never ever see or have seen so many hair strands on my hair wash day. So was freaking out and was trying to draw a correlation.