Down the road head shave

Do you mean “buzz cutting” ?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I was also curious about this and I found this video regarding recipient area, hoever I dont know if this guys is accurate, maybe someone more experienced can verify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSAZeCqPwxs

Concidering donor area it leaves very small white dots which arent visible except if you know about hair transplant and probably nobody is going to care anyway.

Edited by JimKan1

Barnan,

When people use the phrase “shave your head “, they often mean different things. Are you referring to shaving your head down to the scalp or a number one clip for example?  Because in the world of hair transplant surgery, these can be very different.

To be honest, I usually tell people who plan on shaving their head down to the scalp later down the road not to bother getting a hair transplant at all.  Not only will at least some kind of scarring show, albeit minimal, but the purpose of surgical hair restoration is to restore one’s hair and make them appear more useful.

If your ultimate plan is to shave your scalp all the way down to bare skin for example, I think it’s better to save the money and just shave it down sooner than later. That way there are no risks of scarring showing through but you also save a bucket load of money.

Now, if you’re talking about shaving your scalp down to a one clip, you may very likely be able to get away with not showing any signs of scarring if you underwent FUE and still showcase your new hairline even if it’s stubble due to cropping it exceptionally short. But then, you may want to consider undergoing a procedure known as scalp micropigmentation or SMP rather than surgical hair restoration.   It’s not only much cheaper but there is no scarring.  Are you familiar with the procedure?

SMP is a procedure where an artist will essentially provide you with micro tattoos the same color as your hair that look just like hair stubble.  Inexperienced hands, the micro tattoos will look just like hair and nobody will be able to tell the difference. Of course, since it’s not actually hair, anyone who touches your scalp will find out that it’s not real hair.  But this is another alternative to surgical hair restoration for those individuals who plan on cropping their hair exceptionally short without shaving all the way down to the scalp.

As for photos, I’m sure I could provide you with Dr. Rahal patient examples of closely cropped hair on the sides and back after undergoing follicular unit extraction (FUE).

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. I’m 5 weeks out from my first FUE procedure. I was just wondering if you were to shave your head completely bald later on in life(60/70 years old) if it were going to be noticeable that you had one done. 

I’m hoping I never do but we never know what is going to happen to our hair later on down the road. I’m so happy after my first I’m only 5 weeks in and hoping I’ll be able to have a second to fill the crown area and add more density. For me I’ll probably need to extract some beard hair. But, I have some time I have to wait in order to figure that out. 

• 11 months later...
On 5/16/2022 at 3:26 AM, Barnan12550 said:

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. I’m 5 weeks out from my first FUE procedure. I was just wondering if you were to shave your head completely bald later on in life(60/70 years old) if it were going to be noticeable that you had one done. 

I’m hoping I never do but we never know what is going to happen to our hair later on down the road. I’m so happy after my first I’m only 5 weeks in and hoping I’ll be able to have a second to fill the crown area and add more density. For me I’ll probably need to extract some beard hair. But, I have some time I have to wait in order to figure that out. 

did you find out eventually?

On 5/16/2022 at 3:26 AM, Barnan12550 said:

I was NW6 and had 5300 grafts. I have not tried shaving, but so far I don't see any scars or anything in the recipient area. There might be some in the donor area, but my hair is longer there so I'm not sure. Nothing to see, but I cannot be totally sure there. If you get it done a good place, I think the risk of scars that can be seen by someone not looking for it is slim.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

If you shave your head you will always have scars. The darker your skin the more prominent the scars are. As you age scars to improve over time but will always be there. If anyone has the slightest inkling of shaving their head then I always recommend not going through with surgery.

2 hours ago, Mike10 said:

HT is usually one way road

I would say that more than 50% of people who do hair transplants do not have enough donor for full coverage and would possibly be better shaving than having sparse hair and combovers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, Barnan12550 said:

FUE scars are something I hear about more than I actually see.

I know two people who got FUE transplants a few years ago, and they both wear short cut hairstyles on the sides and back of their head.  One of them wears it at a near-zero buzz cut level.  I can't see any scars on either of them, and I aggressively inspected their donor areas up close.

I am also a couple of weeks out of a 3200 FUE transplant, and my donor is all healed and all I have been doing in these past two weeks is shining a flashlight close range onto my donor area looking for scars.  I see nothing.  I will probably buzz my sides and back of my head (in another couple of weeks) and check again, but I'm amazed at how invisible the FUE scars are (assuming I even have scars).

I plan to get another HT for the crown and my plan is to wear it buzzed in the future, as I experience future loss.
I would never razor my head (seems like a lot of work, along with the skin irritation) so I'd like to sport a nice short stubble buzz cut...with the added benefit of a nicely framed hairline and evenly distributed stubble (despite it thinning).  My goal is to  eliminate the 'pattern' loss and the five-head that comes with it. 

I think FUEs have gotten better, especially with the variable FUE punch sizes.  A lot of what you see online (in terms of FUE scars) may also be older photos of FUE procedures done at poor clinics with larger punch sizes many years ago.

Of course, I think skin tone makes a big difference and if you have olive or brown skin, then it will very likely show scarring...but at the same time, I've seen photos of some remarkable SMP work done on donor scarring, so I think FUE scarring is a non-issue anyway.