Minox/Fin decreased efficiency

Devy

Hello, 

I’ve lately been suffering from hair loss even-though i’m consistently using Minox/Fin.

I started balding approximately around 9 years ago, 21-22 years old,  it mainly was around the crown region. I was placed on minoxidil for 4 years, then we had to add finasteride in because minoxidil wasn't enough anymore, so i’ve been consistently using them for the past 6 years, never discontinued them.

During the past two years, 30 years old now, things have been going downhill quickly, crown area is way thinner and the front hair line is thinning too. Everytime I place minoxidil and massage it in, or in the shower, around 30 hairs are seen on my hand. I visited my doctor and he told me that the medications are working but i’m having a stressful time (i do have lots of exams so not gonna deny it), and that this is just temporary. Honestly im having doubts about it, and I just feel like minox/fin stopped working on my hair. 

Has anyone experience this before?

I was thinking about adding dermarstamping to my routine, but I read somewhere that it might affect future hair transplants.

Edited by Devy
Submitted by mistake before i finish writing

Yes I have experienced this, unfortunately for aggressive balding finasteride and minoxidil cannot stop hair loss, only slow the progress.

With 100% certainty though if you quit both, thinking they aren't doing anything, you will lose hair so fast you will probably go slick bald. This is the unfortunate reality us young hair loss sufferers face.

However, staying on both drastically increases the chances of having a good transplant, so don't worry, find the right doctor for your type of loss/donor characteristics and you can still get your hair back.

Generally Minox loses effectiveness after a few years. We know that Fin can be effective for decades. However, that is not guaranteed and it can lose effectiveness esepcially when MPB is very aggressive. Some folks switch to Dut as a result. So the answer to your question would be yes. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Min/Fin don't lose efficacy, they don't completely stop hair loss, they slow it down. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

22 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Yes I have experienced this, unfortunately for aggressive balding finasteride and minoxidil cannot stop hair loss, only slow the progress.

With 100% certainty though if you quit both, thinking they aren't doing anything, you will lose hair so fast you will probably go slick bald. This is the unfortunate reality us young hair loss sufferers face.

However, staying on both drastically increases the chances of having a good transplant, so don't worry, find the right doctor for your type of loss/donor characteristics and you can still get your hair back.

Yes I will definitely not stop them, it’s just demoralizing to see all the hair being lost after all those years of consistency. 

19 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Min/Fin don't lose efficacy, they don't completely stop hair loss, they slow it down. 

But i’ve been using them for like 10 years now and it was all good, why did it get much worse during the past year and a half?

22 hours ago, Devy said:

Hello, 

I’ve lately been suffering from hair loss even-though i’m consistently using Minox/Fin.

I started balding approximately around 9 years ago, 21-22 years old,  it mainly was around the crown region. I was placed on minoxidil for 4 years, then we had to add finasteride in because minoxidil wasn't enough anymore, so i’ve been consistently using them for the past 6 years, never discontinued them.

During the past two years, 30 years old now, things have been going downhill quickly, crown area is way thinner and the front hair line is thinning too. Everytime I place minoxidil and massage it in, or in the shower, around 30 hairs are seen on my hand. I visited my doctor and he told me that the medications are working but i’m having a stressful time (i do have lots of exams so not gonna deny it), and that this is just temporary. Honestly im having doubts about it, and I just feel like minox/fin stopped working on my hair. 

Has anyone experience this before?

I was thinking about adding dermarstamping to my routine, but I read somewhere that it might affect future hair transplants.

You may consider PRP and Laser.  These can help reverse the thinning.  

It is important to recognize the mechanism of action of each is totally different and are thus synergistic when used simultaneously.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Devy said:

But i’ve been using them for like 10 years now and it was all good, why did it get much worse during the past year and a half?

DHT damage is accumulative, that’s why hair loss isn’t over night. Finasteride doesn’t completely block DHT. You may need to upgrade to dut. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The main issue with Minoxidil is that it does not tackle the underlying rootcause of genetic hairloss in men which is hair follicles sensitivity to DHT. 

Minoxidil acts by hyperpolarizing the K+ potassium channel in the dermal papilla cells. It prolongs the anagen phase by stimulating the keratinocytes proliferation that DHT is trying to shut down via different complex mechanisms. 

Ultimately it just buys you time...But you cannot expect it to fully hold on to your hair for the rest of your life. No way. 

Finasteride blocks 5AR type 2 and 3, type 2 being mostly expressed in the follicles and prostate. 

It lowers scalp DHT by 40-60% according to different studies which is enough for over 90% of  men to stop further hairloss according to 3 scientifical studies. 

If you want maximum scalp DHT supression then Dutasteride 2.5mg is the only way get over 90% supression.

You can add some topical anti androgens on top of it. Fluridil, RU58841, CB0301 and soon pirylutamide etc...

Even with Dutasteride and topical AA there still gonna be some residual androgens on the scalp. 

Ultimately the only thing that is going to stop Androgenic Alopecia dead in its tracks for the rest of your life is surgical castration. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️