FUT recovery inquiry (best/worst case)

I’ve consulted with a number of Doctors, recommended from this Forum and have landed on one with the earliest date being the last week in January 2023 (which is great). 

My concern is that I’m getting married the end of April 2023. The HT will be FUT and between 3000-3500 graphs. The plan will be to strengthen my hairline (age appropriate) while focusing on density for the frontal 2/3rds. 

I don’t necessarily need to schedule this in January although I’m enthusiastic to lock in a date. Although I know I won’t see much result from Jan to April, my concern is potential worst case scenarios of redness, healing, etc.

I’d love to hear opinions, experience, advice from members. Is it advisable to lock in January or hold off until after our ceremony?

Thank you in advance. 

Realistically, you will be very much in the shedding phase without much progress. With shock loss your hair might even look worse than it does right now, even with early growth at the 3 month mark it will not make much cosmetic difference.

I'm not sure even concealer will help much, maybe there is some stylist out there that can do some magic to make it look realistic.

If you can get it in November then by April you should be far ahead enough so that with concealer it will look much better.

IMO you need to hit the 5 month mark or so after your transplant to be able to pull of cosmetic tricks to make it look great.

Do you have photos of your current hair? Some people are able to get FUTs but able to conceal it if they have long enough hair. Three months is still the ugly duckling phase for most people. In my experience, three months wasn't long enough for me to feel comfortable in important social settings.

Maybe you can lock in a date with your surgeon for January, but let them know you are hoping they can fit you in earlier if a cancellation or rescheduling occurs. If you're not able to get in earlier, you could also reschedule for after your wedding. 

• Moderators

It varies from patient to patient, but a lot of it is going to be dependent on how much hair you had to start with and how you style your hair. For example, some minor frontal recession can usually be hidden by keeping your hair long and combing it a bit forward to hide the area, but if you have more extensive hair loss then you will still be in the healing stage at 3 months and probably not looking too good yet. If you are lucky you will be just getting back to what it looked like prior to surgery at that point.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.