Shock Loss around FUT Donor

Hi everyone,

It’s been 4 weeks since my FUT surgery. Everything seems to be going alright, except I believe I have developed shock loss around the fut donor incision. Doctor seems to think it’s fine but thought I would go ahead and ask all of you as well. 

That’s the left and right side in the photos. Back seems to be okay and not as visible. The scar line seems to be actually covered up at this length of hair , which is a no.4 

If you zoom in, I think you can see some little hairs coming. But I’m just trying to stay optimistic.

D4711469-75CE-4EAD-AA52-A671E1330E0C.jpeg

E6DC6A64-BDD9-44EB-9443-6F2AB96946AB.jpeg

5A3AC00F-12EE-4203-BA16-D6B6528B9843.jpeg

Edited by TorontoGuy
Adding photos

48 minutes ago, TorontoGuy said:

Hi everyone,

It’s been 4 weeks since my FUT surgery. Everything seems to be going alright, except I believe I have developed shock loss around the fut donor incision. Doctor seems to think it’s fine but thought I would go ahead and ask all of you as well. 

That’s the left and right side in the photos. Back seems to be okay and not as visible. The scar line seems to be actually covered up at this length of hair , which is a no.4 

If you zoom in, I think you can see some little hairs coming. But I’m just trying to stay optimistic.

D4711469-75CE-4EAD-AA52-A671E1330E0C.jpeg

E6DC6A64-BDD9-44EB-9443-6F2AB96946AB.jpeg

5A3AC00F-12EE-4203-BA16-D6B6528B9843.jpeg

in which clinic did you do the FUT ? Your FUT scar looks very bad actually...There's always risk with FUT procedure that you can end up with an ugly linear scar in the donor...All candidates should know that before proceed with that procedure.

Edited by Gramatik

Hi all, 

Just wanted to clarify, my actual scar isn’t visible in these photos. You can see hear it’s a little red but it’s also a thinner line pinkish white line. The hair loss is around the scar. I’ve added a photo showing some of the scar. Sorry hard to take these. 

2097A44A-D5AC-4C75-89EE-E7524DF42849.jpeg

Edited by TorontoGuy

Another detail. I shaved my head prior to these photos. It wasn’t apparent at a longer length. 

I don’t have a photo of the suture line post op, but here it is about one week. It’s hard to see but it’s where you can see the blue sutures. 

To me, the line seems thin but it’s also accompanied by hair thinning around it. 

4EA9D61F-283B-45E5-9678-8ED88FC38482.jpeg

Seems like shock loss , you just had the operation done about a month ago . I would relax and give it until months 6 . It is extremely likely that you have recovered a significant amount until the 6th month mark . Healing takes time . 

• Like 1

It looks normal. I had a band around 1.5cm wide of shocked out hair which grew back around the same rate as the transplanted hair.

It should fill in over the next 3-4 months.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Moderators

Shock loss above and below the donor scar is normal. It grows back. Wait a few months and see if it looks any better.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I concur…definitely looks like shock loss and should fill back in.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

TorontoGuy,

Given that you’re only a couple weeks out from surgery, it very well could just be shock loss aka telegenic effluvium. Obviously, it’s too early to assume there are any problems so I wouldn’t suggest even going there until enough time passes and another evaluation can be made.

For what it’s worth, I experienced some donor shock loss during one of my procedures as well around the same. In my case, it was only on one side but it certainly can happen all over as  everyone is different.

For now, I suggest hanging in there and giving it the time it needs to heal and the donor shocked hair to return.  After another six months or so, you can evaluate the situation again. Shocked hair can take up to 6 to 12 months to return but it often grows back faster.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:20 PM, TorontoGuy said:

Another detail. I shaved my head prior to these photos. It wasn’t apparent at a longer length. 

I don’t have a photo of the suture line post op, but here it is about one week. It’s hard to see but it’s where you can see the blue sutures. 

To me, the line seems thin but it’s also accompanied by hair thinning around it. 

4EA9D61F-283B-45E5-9678-8ED88FC38482.jpeg

The above comment and picture says it all. If the scar itself looks and appears thin but you have thinning hair surrounding it, I’d be willing to bet money on the fact that what you’re experiencing is temporary shock loss.  This means that the hair will return in time.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi Everyone, 

Just wanted to follow up. It seems that there is already new hair growth around and through the scar. So fingers crossed it’s shock loss. And very happy to see this! Week 5 FYI

F1E08414-95AF-41EE-AE9C-2D55CB7BBD93.jpeg

Edited by TorontoGuy

It sort of looks like it may have been a try-closure technique with new hair starting to appear through the scar?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 1 month later...

My premonition is that there has been improvement in the area…hopefully he will post a few progress pics soon.

Gillenator

Considering the last update showed signs of growth in the scar which is starting g to reduce its appearance, my prediction also is that there’s substantial improvement at this stage.  That said, I’m looking forward to seeing an update from the OP.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

In addition, the pics showing the closure displays a clean result with a tri-closure method…healing looks good and no redness nor raised inflammation.

• Like 1

Gillenator