Oh no... I feel so bad for this guy

Just read this thread... poor man.  Turns out his doctor never asked him if he has scarring issues, and he suffers from Keloid scars.  

His head will never be normal again :(

What an idiot doctor for not doing his due diligence.  This should be criminal.  Having this forum as a place to educate people is so important...

Here are pictures I'm referring to (3 months post HT)

r/HairTransplants - Any tips or remedies?r/HairTransplants - So I’m 13 weeks post OP Had a some trouble with scabbing I had a few areas with blood after removal (I know I might have lost some grafts smh)specifically the pink spot right here

Check out my journey here:

Oh wow. That's bad. 

I hope he somehow manages to find a way to get that sorted. I'm personally very sad whenever i see anybody end up in this situation. I truly think that it's become such a wild west of Horror Mills. 

FUE3361,

Wow that’s terrible. When I see and read about situation like this, my heart sinks. Because the truth is, situations like this can be avoided.

It’s discussion forums like these that empower and enable patients to find excellent doctors who will actually do their due diligence and make sure someone is a candidate before simply operating on them. Clearly this patient was not a candidate nor was the doctor knowledgeable or thorough enough to make sure the patient was safe.

The truth is, this patient’s scalp will likely never be the same. However, I suspect something can be done to get this patient in a better spot and position than he is now.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Did a little searching online, apparently it can take months for the keloids to slowly develop, like as far out as 9 months. Seems to happen mostly in the donor area, but if you are sensitive enough they can form in the recipient area judging by his pics. I wonder if the extra scar tissue caused any of the surrounding grafts to fail? 

There's a pic of the back of some guy's head that actually looks worse than this guy below.  There are some mitigation steps that can be done, but I don't know that I would risk it even with those if I had a history of scarring bad.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5596650/

Further, the risk of keloid formation can be minimized by starting immediate postoperative prophylactic measures such as pressure therapy, silicone gel sheeting, silicone gel, and flavonoids.[6] Although the applicability, utility and efficacy of these preventive measures to scalp keloids following FUE in particular are unpredictable.

The Reddit OP admitted in his thread that - even before his surgery - he knew he had sensitive skin and was prone to keloids. In fairness to the doctor, I actually think the onus is on the patient to bring this up. I'm sure OP was given a form similar to "Name all of your pre-existing conditions", etc. Can't blame the doctor for this keloid issue if the patient consciously withheld the fact that he is prone to keloids. Doctors are not mind readers. 

However, that being said, Reddit OPs situation does seem really severe. I wonder if there is more at play here than a keloid/sensitive skin issue.

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

How would this be prevented. I want fue but I also have sensitive skin and feel I could get keloids. Does that basically rule me out for all HT procedures?

Theres a difference between sensitive skin and skin that is prone to keloid scaring. Google keloid scars.

One also must assume the patient in question visited a hair mill. Bad combo.

Dozens of factors go in to play for a safe and professional HT.

3 hours ago, MAIZE1694 said:

Theres a difference between sensitive skin and skin that is prone to keloid scaring. Google keloid scars.

One also must assume the patient in question visited a hair mill. Bad combo.

Dozens of factors go in to play for a safe and professional HT.

So I I am prone to keloids I can’t have a HT?

4 hours ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

How would this be prevented. I want fue but I also have sensitive skin and feel I could get keloids. Does that basically rule me out for all HT procedures?

Choose a top Dr/Clinic and discuss the possibility, some will do a test transplant IE take a few grafts and see what happens/develops. 

1 hour ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

So I I am prone to keloids I can’t have a HT?

I've actually heard my surgeon talk about this. 

Basically, just paraphrasing, it's very risky to get a HT if you have keloids, but they can do a test run, where they extract 20-30 grafts (I'm making this number up, it was a low number), implant them, and then monitor how the scarring goes for the person.  If everything turns out good and a favorable result is seen, then they can look towards future plans.  If not, well, minimum damage done.

They might have other protocols in place post op as well, but I haven't heard anything about that.

Edited by Fue3361
  • Like 1

Just now, Fue3361 said:

I've actually heard my surgeon talk about this. 

Basically, just paraphrasing, it's very risky to get a HT if you have keloids, but they can do a test run, where they extract 20-30 grafts (I'm making this number up, it was a low number), implant them, and then monitor how the scarring goes for the person.  If everything turns out good and a favorable result is seen, then they can look towards future plans.  If not, well, minimum damage done.

Hmm but didn’t they say in one of the above articles you could grow keloids 9 months after procedure? How would they know right after trial and error test if you could still grow keloids in donor or receipt a year later?

Just now, JoDimaggio22 said:

Hmm but didn’t they say in one of the above articles you could grow keloids 9 months after procedure? How would they know right after trial and error test if you could still grow keloids in donor or receipt a year later?

I don't know how long they wait to monitor the growth and scarring...  Maybe they wait for over a year to monitor it?  

• 11 months later...

Curious if anybody has the Reddit link mentioned above or the photo from the 1st post.  I've got a July FUE scheduled but am researching heavily as I have formed keloids on my back, shoulders and chest from injuries.  Never on my head though.  Thanks.