Am I too young for HT surgery?

16 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

SoSoz,

While age is certainly a factor for doctors considering whether or not a patient is a candidate for hair restoration surgery, it’s certainly not the only factor and obviously not the most important one.

Believe me, I was pretty young when I started losing my hair also and was quite stressed and upset when it started happening. As it got worse, I became depressed and I knew I wanted to do something about it.  So I understand exactly how you feel. It’s a good thing that you found this discussion forum, which is a great place for getting genuine and honest information about the best hair restoration treatments and doctors   

For starters, I would definitely strongly consider getting on finasteride.  In fact, finasteride typically works the best at thickening thinning hair in men with diffuse thinning patterns, which you appear to have.  So in my opinion, I would consider getting on it for a good year to see how it works for you. Hopefully, at the very least it will slow down or even stop the progression of male pattern baldness and if you are lucky, it will thicken your thinning hair and it will make the appearance of your overall hair much thicker looking.

Keep in mind of course that finasteride does come with the potential for side effects and though rare, some men do experience them. That said, side effects do typically stop in the majority of men if they stop using the medication.  Of course, any benefit from the medication will also cease if finasteride is stopped.

Hopefully you’ll be a good responder to finasteride and after one year of treatment, you can proceed with hair transplant surgery.

I will tell you straight up, hair restoration is a marathon, not a sprint. I know how emotional it can be to lose your hair and I’m sure you would like a quick fix. But if you’re going to get it done right and are looking to restore a youthful looking appearance for the long term, it’s far better to follow a solid long-term hair restoration plan then to jump in the chair with the first doctor willing to operate on your head.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

So true, loosing hair in this young age can be very very depressing. I think it makes a big difference if you are balding with 20 instead of balding with 30. 
Literally it has destroyed the time of my life which should have been the “best”. 
I still suffer from that. 
I also agree that you need to jump on Fin ASAP, there are chances that your balding spot all over your head will cover up niceley. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

You are eligible for a transplant in accordance to your age. However  Finasteride will be important in your case so that any further progression of baldness. If you do not take finasteride then you will lose more hair in the future and you will inevitably have to go for another transplantation procedure again in the newly emptied areas.

A 2nd HT is often inevitably regardless whether the patient takes Fin though. Yes but in this case I would agree that the patient needs fin because the donor hair is finite!

I think this is a good time to start meds, you still have some good amount of hair and with some medication you might aswell be able to get away with some regrowth. 

In any case it seems like your forehead is getting bigger and the signs of a potencial NW5 are all there. My strategy would be get on Finasteride for a year, if not enough then add Minoxidil for the second. If these two maintain but still fail to deliver the results that you need that's when I would start escalating to a Transplant but right now I will tell you the same as the first doctor that I consulted before medication as far as surgery goes.

"It would be disastrous."

On 3/31/2022 at 3:05 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

SoSoz,

Who said said that you shouldn’t be on finasteride prior to her transplantation? I can’t imagine anybody on this discussion forum suggesting that.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Melvin- Moderator
Removed video

Dude just get on finasteride I was on topical finasteride for 6 months because I was just like u you guys scared of side effects now I’ve been on oral finasteride for a year no side effects the pills are small just take one everyday at night and done you still have a lot of hair left finasteride will save it and you can get a fut to maximize grafts take finasteride for one year then reassess dr bloxham would be great for fut I’m 23 rn so Ik as a young guy it sucks to have to take a pill everyday but it’s really not that bad 

13 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Dude just get on finasteride I was on topical finasteride for 6 months because I was just like u you guys scared of side effects now I’ve been on oral finasteride for a year no side effects the pills are small just take one everyday at night and done you still have a lot of hair left finasteride will save it and you can get a fut to maximize grafts take finasteride for one year then reassess dr bloxham would be great for fut I’m 23 rn so Ik as a young guy it sucks to have to take a pill everyday but it’s really not that bad 

The problem is I can't even swallow pills lol

No, you aren't necessarily too young.

I started losing my hair in 2005 at 16. Started propecia in 2010. Got a HT in 2012 at 23.

Here are photos of me last year aged 31...

The keys to overcoming long term hair loss is medication to stabilise your loss + realistic goals i.e a conservative HT without restoring a juvenile hairline, not touching the crown. I am now looking to get crown work 10 years later as my loss pattern is more established. 

Or you just let nature take its course and in 10 years you can be one of these NW6s that goes to Eugenix and gets 9k grafts. 

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon