Current Consultations So Far, What's Next?

So previously I have made a few posts with the conslutations I had with the different doctors so far from my shortlist and now I feel like I have a better understanding of the bigger picture. Thing is I am currently still undecided about which clinic to chose because even though I was happy with one of them I am still not sure if this is what I would really want to go for or at least feel like it would be the most confortable path.

So my situation is the following:

Current Baldness level - Norwood V (Diffuse)

Medications: Finasteride 1MG daily + Minoxidil 5% twice a day (Regaine) + Nizoral 3 times a week

Objectives: Restoration of the density in order to be able to perform long hairstyles.

So here is the feedback I got from different consultations.

Dr.Bicer - Was told that I would need 3200 for the frontal part but that I could be looking at more than 3800 if I was looking to restore the crown in total, howeaver she was willing to go to 3800 max. The doctor was also happy with the density within the donor. 

Dr.Lorenzo - Was told that my baldness was quite advanced and that I would require over 6000 grafts total in order to achieve the desired results, this would require two sessions, I presume this would be somewhere between 3000 + 3000 in two years. They would require me to go to the clinic though to evaluate the donor. 

Dr.Ximena Villa - Recommended me to start Oral Minoxidil (5MG) and continue Finasteride for an aditional year before going to a surgery. Howeaver she estimated that over 3000 frontal grafts would be initially required for the frontal part, also advised a visit to the clinic for donor evaluation.

Dr.DeFreitas - Probably on my top tier list currently, recommended 3000 grafts which would be distributed in the frontal, entrances and middle of the scalp within one session split in two days. I also asked if the 3000 would be enough to restore the required density to which the answer seemed positive, howeaver they noted that if the crown required transplantation this would require a second session which would be quoted later. But from my understanding it seems like De Freitas was confident that he would be able to restore enough of the ilusion of density within my scalp with these 3000 hairs without the need of a second intervention, also from the hairlines I have seen of him he seems quite capable of doing it so.

What is keeping me from pulling the trigger you ask?

Same thing is it was before, there is still the temptation on my part to go for De Freitas because I like his hairlines and his artistry he seems to be one of the best if not really the best surgeon in the world for many but at the same time I feel like I didn't consult with my other two top tier surgeons which are more location friendly in terms of their location which are obviously Bruno Pinto + Ferreira.
Also I know that the quotation from De Freitas lasts only 3 months, which would have the deadline placed sometime at the following month and this is one of the things that is making me procrastinate because I know the clock is ticking on this. I also recognize that taking forced decisions with these kind of procedures is not really a good thing, which is why I am still taking my time to decide.

Working from home has  been making things a bit easier as well because I rarely go out but as soon as I know I have to step out of the doorstep I know I need to have either my hat or the fibers on which gives me the dreaded reminder of how far I am gone with my head of hair.

So my question is, even though one of the doctors team have been really great with the coms and feedback is it worth pulling the trigger now or is it always the best to wait until the other two are open for consultations in order to make a so to say "more informed decision"?

I know loads of people that went through hair transplant have gone through the same process as I and It has been only a few months since I started my reesearch. I also don't pass my whole days looking at the doctors results meticulously as I already seen the ones that interested me for the most part but I also know I need to decide sooner or later because a surgery is just waiting down the road and the only question at this stage for me is with whoom.

Ultimately each doctor gives you a graft count based on what they envision is required for your particular hair loss objectives and can be achieved with their own methodology. 

I think you do seem pretty set on Dr De Freitas and that's fine and all, but properly sit down, look at all the one's you consulted with and start eliminating the one's you think aren't as good till you have 2-3 and then do the same again with any others you consult with. 

Ultimately the results they showcase are always cherry picked on their own sites so scrape through here for real patient reviews and testimonials to find cases similar to you and who maybe better fits too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Ultimately each doctor gives you a graft count based on what they envision is required for your particular hair loss objectives and can be achieved with their own methodology. 

I think you do seem pretty set on Dr De Freitas and that's fine and all, but properly sit down, look at all the one's you consulted with and start eliminating the one's you think aren't as good till you have 2-3 and then do the same again with any others you consult with. 

Ultimately the results they showcase are always cherry picked on their own sites so scrape through here for real patient reviews and testimonials to find cases similar to you and who maybe better fits too. 

I have been paying visit to this forum alongside some spanish and italian ones aswell to try and gauge them too. 

I have taken the time to consult with other doctors outside my big 3 list (De Freitas, Ferreira, Pinto) and to be honest I don't feel like there is anyone standing and since the other two are based in my home country it would make comunication at lot much easy with the staff alongside other things if I went in that route, and I think this is what is keeping my hand frum pulling it.

There's *always* another option. No matter if you get all the quotes you want, you'll see someone's results and wish you got a quote from them too.

Don't get caught up in "analysis paralysis". You're dealing with excellent doctors and you've done plenty of research, this isn't being rushed. Book with De Freitas and get it done. 

• Like 2

communication shouldn't be your final decision i think at this stage you are nearly complete with a good amount of surgeons with a close graft count (about 3k). At this point I would just say go for results and purely results. 

But honestly, I think you have a good set of top 3's and youre making a really strong choice.

Also, could you post some photos of your scalp, donor zone, beard (if you plan on getting extractions)?

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

1 minute ago, Vann said:

communication shouldn't be your final decision i think at this stage you are nearly complete with a good amount of surgeons with a close graft count (about 3k). At this point I would just say go for results and purely results. 

But honestly, I think you have a good set of top 3's and youre making a really strong choice.

Also, could you post some photos of your scalp, donor zone, beard (if you plan on getting extractions)?

I can drop you by PM if you wish to. 

• Like 1

I'd be curious to see pictures as well if you don't mind.

I think I'd go for Dr. De Freitas at the moment. Dr. Ferreira apparently just increased his price to 3.5€ and Dr. Pinto did as well, close to 3€ I believe. This actually makes Dr. De Freitas a decent amount cheaper. 

3000 grafts with Dr. Ferreira = 10,500€ vs Dr. De Freitas should be 8,500€ if I'm not mistaken. 

But you live in Portugal so the travel is less I'm sure.

In the end, it really comes down to selecting a Dr and going with it. If it's one of the Portuguese Dr's then just wait for them. I'm sure all 3 will do an excellent job so pick one and don't look back. 

24 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

I'd be curious to see pictures as well if you don't mind.

I think I'd go for Dr. De Freitas at the moment. Dr. Ferreira apparently just increased his price to 3.5€ and Dr. Pinto did as well, close to 3€ I believe. This actually makes Dr. De Freitas a decent amount cheaper. 

3000 grafts with Dr. Ferreira = 10,500€ vs Dr. De Freitas should be 8,500€ if I'm not mistaken. 

But you live in Portugal so the travel is less I'm sure.

In the end, it really comes down to selecting a Dr and going with it. If it's one of the Portuguese Dr's then just wait for them. I'm sure all 3 will do an excellent job so pick one and don't look back. 

Yeah that is a valid point. I feel like each day passes de Freitas is starting to become the most obvious choice. 

By the way you have PM. 

You too @Vann

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Yeah that is a valid point. I feel like each day passes de Freitas is starting to become the most obvious choice. 

And if you continue to wait the price might go up, as I believe Dr. De Freitas is going to raise his price soon. No inside knowledge here but it's definitely a trend if you look around. 

• Like 1

I have been in your shoes before in terms of Doctor A telling me he can work with me in 1 surgery vs other docs telling me it will take multiple surgeries. 

As long as all doctors you are considering are "elite" and have a good reputation, go with the doctor who thinks they can do their work all in 1 go. I'm sure you have already seriously considered the mental fortitude and stress that comes with multiple surgeries, and it sucks. 

So go with the doc who thinks he can get it done in 1 go. Worst case, you have a really good improvement, and you can always get another surgery down the road. Best case, the 1 surgery goes well and you get to avoid the grueling multiple procedure route.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I have been in your shoes before in terms of Doctor A telling me he can work with me in 1 surgery vs other docs telling me it will take multiple surgeries. 

As long as all doctors you are considering are "elite" and have a good reputation, go with the doctor who thinks they can do their work all in 1 go. I'm sure you have already seriously considered the mental fortitude and stress that comes with multiple surgeries, and it sucks. 

So go with the doc who thinks he can get it done in 1 go. Worst case, you have a really good improvement, and you can always get another surgery down the road. Best case, the 1 surgery goes well and you get to avoid the grueling multiple procedure route.

Yeah that seems to be the way to go. I know other people recommended to have two in two separate years but I honestly feel like if there is a chance I am happy with a single one and if that same doctor is happy with doing a single surgery it's the best way to go. 

Also I realized that if he really thought two would be necessary I would have been quoted before so I am pretty sure it shows how he feels. 

I have also had positive feedback from JoeMan in terms of my donor after PMing him my case. Hopefully it will be all good. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jtoorrees said:

I’ve been back and forth between Couto, and de Freitas and after taking some time off from researching I’ve finally decided on de Freitas. 

I believe he's a little better than Cuoto. His hairlines are more natural to me. Excellent choice!!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the help guys. 

After months on meditating on my decision I came to the conclusion that I should start looking to book a surgery with doctor De Freitas. I have already messaged his team and am looking to see what is their answer in terms of dates. 

After 8 years in hell I am finally pulling the real trigger at hair loss to recover a part of life that I have lost ever since.

"To take a leap of faith, Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone. "

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Thanks for all the help guys. 

After months on meditating on my decision I came to the conclusion that I should start looking to book a surgery with doctor De Freitas. I have already messaged his team and am looking to see what is their answer in terms of dates. 

After 8 years in hell I am finally pulling the real trigger at hair loss to recover a part of life that I have lost ever since.

"To take a leap of faith, Or become an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone. "

I think we can all say we can definitely relate on the hair loss journey. Whether some knew it was coming or out of the blue. Nonetheless, I think you are making a strong choice in your clinic/doctor. I think you will have amazing results that I really hope to see.

Once you have scheduled the appointment dates, just keep in contact with the clinic months ahead to confirm that you are still on. Book your ticket, confirm if you need a visa ahead of time, pack some clothes that you will be able to lift without pulling over your head, travel pillow, lock in a price (in case it goes higher), make sure you ask around ot see if there is any other advice people can offer.

Once you have done all that, just sit back, relax, and don't let the stress eat you away. You're going to put it all behind you once the time comes, its going to be a matter of patience which you already have endured for 8 years.

Just remember what is done is done. Once you schedule you have a date/time/location. If you do not want to proceed you have a whole year (however long the wait time is) to determine any other options.

• Like 2

Good luck mate, Dr Freitas is in most people's top 5 surgeons in the world.

Just think about that statement. 

You're getting operated by the best of the best.

You'll end up with a very good result so start getting excited! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I have finally confirmed that I will be having my intervention with Dr.De Freitas for late June for the following year. 

Thank you everyone's help. Its time to put my Hair Loss issues to rest. 

I am really excited for you. I too will be having a HT late June so we can follow each other’s journey and use one another as reference. 

Of course we shouldn’t compare our results because not everyone is the exact same. But know that another person is in your position around the same time (just from a different clinic). 

nonetheless I am very excited for you and I am eager to follow your progress! 

Edited by Vann
  • Like 1

Just now, Vann said:

I am really excited for you. I too will be having a HT late June so we can follow each other’s journey and use one another as reference. 

Of course we shouldn’t compare our results because not everyone is the exact same. But know that another person is in your position around the same time (just from a different clinic). 

nonetheless I am very excited for you and I am eager to follow your progress! 

We can surely do that. :)

Its good knowing that I will have some good people in the same journey as mine. I am also looking forward for your results and hopefully ours will be as good as they can get!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

We can surely do that. :)

Its good knowing that I will have some good people in the same journey as mine. I am also looking forward for your results and hopefully ours will be as good as they can get!

Indeed, well said! My biggest hope is getting through the “ugly duckling” phase as fast as possible.

Edited by Vann
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vann said:

Indeed, well said! My biggest hope is getting through the “ugly duckling” phase as fast as possible.

Then again...Isn't it everyone's? 

Best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, at least when it comes to the ugly duckling phase. Some lucky guys don't even have to go through them as the hairs just keep growing after implantation, saddly this is rare. :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Then again...Isn't it everyone's? 

Best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, at least when it comes to the ugly duckling phase. Some lucky guys don't even have to go through them as the hairs just keep growing after implantation, saddly this is rare. :(

Indeed those lucky guys probably still have worries that it’ll shed so… it might be low key reassuring that it does shed at one point so I don’t go insane.

but in some cases some never had anything to begin with or have waited a long time.
Ex: your case of 8 years. 2-3 months is nothing compared to that. 

so I guess all in all it isn’t too bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vann said:

Indeed those lucky guys probably still have worries that it’ll shed so… it might be low key reassuring that it does shed at one point so I don’t go insane.

but in some cases some never had anything to begin with or have waited a long time.
Ex: your case of 8 years. 2-3 months is nothing compared to that. 

so I guess all in all it isn’t too bad. 

Thats true. There are worser things to happen...

The biggest pro that I have for leaning into surgery at this point is that I am working remotely, this means I dont have to show face to anyone during my recovery stage so there is that reassurance as well. 

4 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Thats true. There are worser things to happen...

The biggest pro that I have for leaning into surgery at this point is that I am working remotely, this means I dont have to show face to anyone during my recovery stage so there is that reassurance as well. 

Lucky… I have to go back in next week 😭😭 

Funny thing about it is that I had a knee surgery end of feb. My work decided everyone goes back in the same day I am expected to be  fully recovered… now I regret not delaying the surgery (assuming I’d be working from home).
but at this point I don’t even care if my coworkers see me post op because I shave my head quite often and let it grow and my hairs weak points are pretty visible. So I don’t think they would notice anything different 

1 minute ago, Vann said:

Lucky… I have to go back in next week 😭😭 

Funny thing about it is that I had a knee surgery end of feb. My work decided everyone goes back in the same day I am expected to be  fully recovered… now I regret not delaying the surgery (assuming I’d be working from home).
but at this point I don’t even care if my coworkers see me post op because I shave my head quite often and let it grow and my hairs weak points are pretty visible. So I don’t think they would notice anything different 

I would though, I haven't shaved my head since I was a little child! Its probably going to be a bit of a shock once I take all that hair off, but its a small sacrifice for the greater good. I am still thinking of booking one/two weeks tops to make sure I have my recovery period. 

I am also thinking of getting back in there after 3 months to get my PRP sessions as it would be a waste not using them.