Wondering if there are any reputable surgeons worth the increased $ in Australia/New Zealand?

cfmhc

Hey everyone, 

I am planning to have a hair transplant at some point in the next year. I am very much wanting to stay in Australia/New Zealand and money is not really of concern. 

I had an initial consultation with Dr Russell Knudsen but was not entirely convinced with his suggestion and didn't like his manner and communication. Found him to be quite dismissive and disinterested to be honest. 

I'm aware that there are some great options overseas - but if at all possible I'd much rather stay in Australia/New Zealand as I swap between the two countries relatively frequently. 

1 minute ago, cfmhc said:

Hey everyone, 

I am planning to have a hair transplant at some point in the next year. I am very much wanting to stay in Australia/New Zealand and money is not really of concern. 

I had an initial consultation with Dr Russell Knudsen but was not entirely convinced with his suggestion and didn't like his manner and communication. Found him to be quite dismissive and disinterested to be honest. 

I'm aware that there are some great options overseas - but if at all possible I'd much rather stay in Australia/New Zealand as I swap between the two countries relatively frequently. 

@GatsbyCould be kind enough to chime in here, very knowledgeable In this particular area. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@cfmhc unfortunately there is no one either here or in New Zealand. I have had consultations will nearly every surgeon over the past 37 years here. You really need an elite surgeon listed from this forum which means travel. If you have someone like Dr Knudsen or Dr Vikram (for example) you will be left with amateur mistakes like doubles in the hairline, limited amount of graft work in one surgery, etc at price that the best in the world charge. Look at results here posted by patients who have a similar hair loss as you who have received results that you are aiming for. Then see which surgeons/clinics are turning out this kind of work on a regular basis. One of the most important factors also is having excellent communication with the surgeon not just in consultation but even more-so post surgery. All the best.  

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 1

Hey @cfmhc my thread was referenced above. Early on in my search for a surgeon I was really not keen to leave Australia, or even my state. I figured Australia is a developed country and there are skilled doctors here. I even pulled the trigger an booked with Knudsen before cancelling my booking - he was nice enough to refund my deposit though he was not obligated to.

I have gone to every clinic in Sydney and dug up literally every bit of information on the internet about Dr Knudsen and Dr Vikram. Their published results range from average to really poor. The justification for the lack of published cases is that they say it's unethical to publish their results on the internet.

Whether you'd have a good or bad experience with them is unclear - but it's not worth the risk.
Dr Vikram is a better communicator and he has a couple of posts on this forum that don't look terrible - but it's not worth the risk.

I ended up going against what I wanted to do and flew to Thailand for my surgery. I just booked it and did it. 8 hour flight, stayed a few days, went home (wish I'd stayed longer though). Yes it was a hassle but in the end you can't fake quality.

It's frustrating but no amount of money you spend in Australia or New Zealand will guarantee you the result that you will get with surgeons who publish their work, have been in practice for over a decade and handle multiple clients a day.

With Knudsen and co, there is no high quality imagery of their work and their communication is poor. Honestly, you might be fine but without being able to see what to expect, you're rolling the dice.

Good resource: https://youtu.be/n9XjdqVg5bA?t=291

When I did my consultation with Knudsen, he rushed through showing me his previous cases - almost rolling his eyes and complaining that I didn't take him at his word. 

Edited by _lshy
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I believe Dr. Vikram is probably the best in Australia, but I wouldn’t put him up against the best in the world. Dr. Path and Dr. Laorwong are much cheaper and better in Thailand. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:59 PM, _lshy said:

Hey @cfmhc my thread was referenced above. Early on in my search for a surgeon I was really not keen to leave Australia, or even my state. I figured Australia is a developed country and there are skilled doctors here. I even pulled the trigger an booked with Knudsen before cancelling my booking - he was nice enough to refund my deposit though he was not obligated to.

I have gone to every clinic in Sydney and dug up literally every bit of information on the internet about Dr Knudsen and Dr Vikram. Their published results range from average to really poor. The justification for the lack of published cases is that they say it's unethical to publish their results on the internet.

Whether you'd have a good or bad experience with them is unclear - but it's not worth the risk.
Dr Vikram is a better communicator and he has a couple of posts on this forum that don't look terrible - but it's not worth the risk.

I ended up going against what I wanted to do and flew to Thailand for my surgery. I just booked it and did it. 8 hour flight, stayed a few days, went home (wish I'd stayed longer though). Yes it was a hassle but in the end you can't fake quality.

It's frustrating but no amount of money you spend in Australia or New Zealand will guarantee you the result that you will get with surgeons who publish their work, have been in practice for over a decade and handle multiple clients a day.

With Knudsen and co, there is no high quality imagery of their work and their communication is poor. Honestly, you might be fine but without being able to see what to expect, you're rolling the dice.

Good resource: https://youtu.be/n9XjdqVg5bA?t=291

When I did my consultation with Knudsen, he rushed through showing me his previous cases - almost rolling his eyes and complaining that I didn't take him at his word. 

Well said Ishy

• Like 2