FUT after FUE? Is this possible?

Hi, 

Is it possible to have an FUT HT after previously under going FUE surgery? I know a lot of people have an FUT first then FUE later. Curious if okay to do FUT after FUE?

I have had two FUE procedures and thinking in the future if I need another is it best to go with FUT as my donor may be limited?

Cheers

Yes, it is possible.  A lot will depend on the donor and how exactly they harvested the two previous times.  Make sure you schedule an in-person evaluation and you get to meet with the doctor so he can check your overall density and elasticity.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

Yes it is possible, but not always good. Depends on how much density you have left in the donor. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yes it is possible, but not always good. Depends on how much density you have left in the donor. 

Thanks Melvin.

But why not good? I am trying to think in the future like we all do and the best way to gain as many grafts as possible for future hair transplants

If the donor area density is low because of previous FUE harvesting, is it worth it to have a strip scar that may be more difficult to hide because of the lower density level?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

RyanB,

Yes it is possible to undergo FUT hair transplant surgery after having FUE however, I wouldn’t recommend it.  Let me explain.

When you undergo FUE, hair follicles are removed one at a time. However, the surrounding follicles and tissue are often strained or damaged preventing them from being used for subsequent hair transplant procedures. Now, if you are continuing with FUE, that’s not a problem because hair follicles next to ones already removed aren’t needed.  With FUE, only a small percentage of hair follicles within a concentrated area are taken and used in order to prevent showing any signs of scarring.

However, consider the alternative. If you switch from FUE to FUT/strip, many of the hair follicles will be too fragile and damaged from FUE to actually transplant into the scalp. If they are used, they will likely not grow.

Long story short, if you start with FUE and end with FUT, you are likely reducing your already limited donor supply which will ultimately impact the end result, especially for those with advanced balding who truly need as much coverage and density as possible.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.