25M blonde, thin hair: Good candidate? Number of grafts? Advice?

Hello all,

I have been reading this forum for a while and decided to finally post.

Situation: 25 year old male (NW4?) looking to do a hair transplant

Background: I started balding at around 19 yo, realised a little too late. Now on topical minox for 4 years, finasteride for 2 years. My hair loss has since starting fin stabilised, with some regrowth in the crown and no continued hair loss in other areas. My 50 yo dad NW6, maternal grandfather 80yo NW4. My hair is dark blonde and thin. 

Now: because my hair loss has stabilised, I want to do a hair transplant. As I am now looking for a surgeon, I'm looking for some general advice and would love to hear the opinion of you guys!

Recommendations?

General thoughts about my hair and whether I'm a good candidate?

How many grafts do you think I need?

Any other advice?

Thank you for your help. Please let me know if you need more pictures from me. 

A6F5F399-40B8-4A27-9738-AC262D412B2D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3aea7a4d06ffa6ad2e5acb875b2f0047.jpeg648D7D19-1F14-46DB-A2C7-0FB737E76BC1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.108d0e76f723c2f3be14a2471d92df02.jpeg23D4B266-A388-482B-9B0C-962AE662F041_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7a6821f828be80d2a1bdc6d20bd7b1c4.jpeg2E970F13-0B48-4F2D-A3AA-061B91B7DC79_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5f1af0843538a4e94b3e6374ca5ef881.jpegE6369DA4-410B-4064-A528-1564F95BE064_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c42117514bee9fa899fff88e4750fbb7.jpeg60202735-65B0-4445-B5C6-AC5CEFA532C4_1_105_c.jpeg.fc8dcdfb21392878d86b2b3829fef6f2.jpeg

24EF6E4A-5DA0-45F9-9709-4CAE73C8AB3C_1_105_c.jpeg.2a7d0f20cdb145895c3b9d672edb7e2b.jpeg

Edited by nks123

You're still young but seems like you did the smart thing with medication and being on it for a few years and what you described should help stand you in better light and eligibility for a hair transplant. 

You look closer to a Norwood 3 to my eyes but you should send on a consultation to the recommend clinics here and see what their plans are. I would suggest looking for clinics that show patients with fine Caucasian hair to get an idea of what results to expect. 

One of your temple points looks a bit more recessed (your left) and could potentially do with being rebuilt a bit. Eugenix are probably the most adept at that but they haven't shown a lot of fine hair Caucasian examples with your hair colour from what i recall. Depending on where you are and what you are willing to pay, there's a lot of options in North America and Europe. 

• Like 1

• nks123 changed the title to 25M blonde, thin hair: Good candidate? Number of grafts? Advice?

First thing I'd do is make a list of surgeons in your price range. We can help make a list if you provide a rough budget. Then get as many consultations from these clinics. Look up reviews, talk to previous patients and this will all help you decide on the proper clinic. Don't be in a rush. Most good clinics have almost a year waiting list. Where are you from? 

6 hours ago, NARMAK said:

You're still young but seems like you did the smart thing with medication and being on it for a few years and what you described should help stand you in better light and eligibility for a hair transplant. 

You look closer to a Norwood 3 to my eyes but you should send on a consultation to the recommend clinics here and see what their plans are. I would suggest looking for clinics that show patients with fine Caucasian hair to get an idea of what results to expect. 

One of your temple points looks a bit more recessed (your left) and could potentially do with being rebuilt a bit. Eugenix are probably the most adept at that but they haven't shown a lot of fine hair Caucasian examples with your hair colour from what i recall. Depending on where you are and what you are willing to pay, there's a lot of options in North America and Europe. 

Thank you for your reply Narmak :) Do you know any clinics in particular that have experience wiith fine caucasian hair? When I look on their websites, I don't see a lot of people with my type of hair unfortunately. Looking to do it in Europe, but recently picked up my studies again so slightly limited bidget, around 7-8k euro. 

2 hours ago, JoeMan said:

First thing I'd do is make a list of surgeons in your price range. We can help make a list if you provide a rough budget. Then get as many consultations from these clinics. Look up reviews, talk to previous patients and this will all help you decide on the proper clinic. Don't be in a rush. Most good clinics have almost a year waiting list. Where are you from? 

Thank you for your reply too Joe :) I'm located in Europe and looking to do a transplant here. My budget is 7-8k euro. 

Look at Dr. Pinto in Portugal. He's probably the best for the price at 2.6€ per graft. Then Dr. Ferreira in Portugal as well at 3€. Dr. De Freitas is about the same price I believe. This is a good place to start at least. 

On 3/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, JoeMan said:

Look at Dr. Pinto in Portugal. He's probably the best for the price at 2.6€ per graft. Then Dr. Ferreira in Portugal as well at 3€. Dr. De Freitas is about the same price I believe. This is a good place to start at least. 

Unfortunately it seems neither Dr. Pinto nor Dr. Ferreira are taking consultations right now... what a shame. 

I'm unsure what to do.

Be patient and do your research. In the meantime, contact these clinics. Eventually they will open up consultations again. You are very young so waiting a bit for the best possible outcome would be best. I believe Dr. De Freitas is still taking on new patients. All of them are booked basically a year out anyway. 

On 3/14/2022 at 5:40 PM, nks123 said:

Unfortunately it seems neither Dr. Pinto nor Dr. Ferreira are taking consultations right now... what a shame. 

I'm unsure what to do.

How hard did you pursue Pinto's patient coordinator? I got a consultation/appointment with him fairly easily a few months ago.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 2:53 AM, shadowcast said:

How hard did you pursue Pinto's patient coordinator? I got a consultation/appointment with him fairly easily a few months ago.

I didn't pursue hard, I just sent an email. It's just too much of a hassle... would be easier if you could just go to their website and see available dates and book...

Now considering HLC or dr Bicer, because cannot get in touch with dr Pinto nor dr Ferriera, and got turned down by BHR Clinic / Bisanga due to young age........

On 3/13/2022 at 6:56 PM, nks123 said:

Thank you for your reply Narmak :) Do you know any clinics in particular that have experience wiith fine caucasian hair? When I look on their websites, I don't see a lot of people with my type of hair unfortunately. Looking to do it in Europe, but recently picked up my studies again so slightly limited bidget, around 7-8k euro.

Sorry for the late reply, i didn't recall having this pop up sooner in my notifications. 

I do not really know which places in Europe are familiar with Caucasian hair but i believe BHR (Dr Bisanga) probably has some cases and he's based in Belgium. I think any of the top names is Spain are usually a bit more geared towards thicker hair than finer hair. 

I think depending on your graft requirements, your budgets reasonable enough. 

1 hour ago, nks123 said:

I didn't pursue hard, I just sent an email. It's just too much of a hassle... would be easier if you could just go to their website and see available dates and book...

Now considering HLC or dr Bicer, because cannot get in touch with dr Pinto nor dr Ferriera, and got turned down by BHR Clinic / Bisanga due to young age........

Hmmm yes I have been declined by Dr. B before due to age which honestly I respect because he could very easily take my money if he wanted lol so it shows a lot of these docs actually have the patients best interest unlike hair mills. What is your balding genes look like by chance?

1 minute ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Hmmm yes I have been declined by Dr. B before due to age which honestly I respect because he could very easily take my money if he wanted lol so it shows a lot of these docs actually have the patients best interest unlike hair mills. What is your balding genes look like by chance?

Yes its very unfortunate... I guess I respect it, but still, if I am responding well to finasteride then I think the likelyhood of my hair loss progressing in the coming five years is unlikely... but oh well...

Good hair genes on mums side, bad genes on dads side. I guess i got the ba(l)d genes lol. 

2 minutes ago, nks123 said:

Yes its very unfortunate... I guess I respect it, but still, if I am responding well to finasteride then I think the likelyhood of my hair loss progressing in the coming five years is unlikely... but oh well...

Good hair genes on mums side, bad genes on dads side. I guess i got the ba(l)d genes lol. 

I mean I guess we never know. You seem pretty certain and like you have researched well so if you believe you should pursue one and clinics agree with you then I’d say go for it. Your hair looks pretty good to me atleast it isn’t like a NW7 case or something. But make sure you get with all the good clinics for consults before you decide. I personally think eugenix should get looked at for you.