Looking for my best HT options - NW V-VI

Hi,

I have been looking into HT recently and have found this forum very helpful with my search.

I originally looked in my area (SF CA) and contacted Dr Wasserbauer and Dr John Diep. Both were suggesting me to do FUT because of the number of grafts I would need. (3500-4500)

When I found this forum, I found suggestions for H&W in Vancouver and Dr Bloxham in NY.

Dr Wong estimated 4500-5500 grafts and Dr Bloxham 6000-7000

I've read good comments and recommendations for H&W and I feel like Dr Wong would be a really good choice.

Dr Bloxham seems very good too but It would be a long travel for me from the West coast to NY.

Dr John Diep seems like there are controversial feedbacks and I felt like my consultation with him was rushed.

I would be interested to know what other fellows here think about it.

Thanks,

Here is what my hairline look like currently (at 33 yo)

2128042782_ScreenShot2022-03-11at2_54_11PM.thumb.png.e89eecda466a199337a757c767c797a3.png1856691367_ScreenShot2022-03-11at2_53_46PM.thumb.png.38f721e9020b3aee9166620080586392.png1148720247_ScreenShot2022-03-11at2_54_49PM.thumb.png.dddaed959abba5b71618fec3e2f30307.png

You definitely will need to get your donor physically examined to know how many “harvestable” grafts are possible...if I were in your situation, I would start with the frontal zone which I believe will have a huge cosmetic impact with a nicely placed mature hairline that will give you a nice frame!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I think 6-7k grafts is too much in your case. Depending on age & if you are on fin or dut, 4k grafts is more than enough, & your donor looks good for FUE, i wouldn't limit this case to FUT, (unles they determined your hair is on thin end or grafts too far apart in donor.)

Only a microscopic examination will confirm this.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

You’ve got some good names, I would also consider Dr. Gabel and Dr. Cooley. I went to Dr. Diep, very happy with the outcome. Have you considered FUE? I had FUE and had similar hair loss. FUT+FUE will yield more life time grafts, but you’ll have that scar.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for all your replies.

I haven’t tried medications because I don’t want to mess with my hormones. Fin is out of the question for me. Minoxidil seems to be working for some but only for some time from what I read. I started taking Vivascal for Men + Biotin and head and shoulders classic shampoo recently (this shampoo was mentioned by Dr Wasserbauer)

Dr Wong mentioned that I was also a candidate for FUE but was suggesting FUT if I wanted to achieve more coverage of the crown area which I would probably prefer.

The scar/procedure of FUT seems indeed more invasive but It seems like its the best approach if I want bigger coverage faster?