Does minoxidil help to grow transplanted hair?

Hi guys. Just a question as I continue this lengthy research journey into getting a hair transplant.

I’ve seen a few examples of people being being advised to start using minoxidil following a HT (particularly when the result after e.g. 9 months or so has been lacking in density) and I’m just wondering why this would be necessary. Does the minoxidil help to ‘push’ the transplanted hair out from under the skins surface? Would you have to use minoxidil indefinitely to maintain the transplanted hair?

I take finasteride daily and plan on doing so for as long as I can, but minoxidil is something I’d rather avoid - especially if applied topically.

Edited by Mixed93

I’m sort of in the same situation.   Been taking fin for years, hair transplant 6 months ago.   Decided against min.  I think and hope that min just speeds up the process and won’t have any affect on final yield of grafts which grow.   

Having used min post op for a year, I would generally not recommend it on transplanted hair.  I would only use it on thinning areas if Fin was not an option.

For me it just irritated the scalp too much and the cost to growth benefit ratio was just not there.  Fin is like an 8/10, Min a 3/10 to 4/10 at best.

It can potentially speed up the growth a bit so you could use it for 3-6 months and then drop it.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.