Dr. Diep Second FUT Transplant - 1750 Grafts - Approximately 4,000 Grafts Total

AlexMeister21

19 hours ago, HairRun said:

Did they say why? Is it because they way they extracted it damaged neighboring grafts? I have the same type of wide scar from Dr Diep 

They just said it potentially damaged an important area of the donor region. I guess they'd have to get a good evaluation in-person to gauge, but the scar doesn't look good. I was shopping earlier today and trying on some clothes in a booth that had a mirror where I could see the back of my head. I could see my scar and the area around it looked pretty patchy and I haven't had a hair cut in weeks. It's going to be a real pain in the ass to cover that up when I get older.

1 hour ago, AlexMeister21 said:

They just said it potentially damaged an important area of the donor region. I guess they'd have to get a good evaluation in-person to gauge, but the scar doesn't look good. I was shopping earlier today and trying on some clothes in a booth that had a mirror where I could see the back of my head. I could see my scar and the area around it looked pretty patchy and I haven't had a hair cut in weeks. It's going to be a real pain in the ass to cover that up when I get older.

I'm sorry to hear that, and that was incredibly disheartening for me to read as well. Please update us on what the verdict is. 

I wonder what sort of bad technique was used for the scar to end up this way. 

Edited by HairRun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I had a pretty stretched FUT scar that was nearly impossible to conceal. Dr. Maras at HDC implanted 300 grafts across the entire length of the scar and it grew in great! I don’t think about it at all any more.

So don’t worry. Between SMP, scar revision, or FUE’ing directly into scar itself, there are options if you choose to address it somewhere down the road.

Edited by Parasol
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, HairRun said:

I'm sorry to hear that, and that was incredibly disheartening for me to read as well. Please update us on what the verdict is. 

I wonder what sort of bad technique was used for the scar to end up this way. 

I'm not sure, but I remember being semi-conscious and feeling like they were just forcefully pulling the strip like a carpet. How did your result turn out?

8 hours ago, Parasol said:

I had a pretty stretched FUT scar that was nearly impossible to conceal. Dr. Maras at HDC implanted 300 grafts across the entire length of the scar and it grew in great! I don’t think about it at all any more.

So don’t worry. Between SMP, scar revision, or FUE’ing directly into scar itself, there are options if you choose to address it somewhere down the road.

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing. I need to check with the next surgeon I work with to see how many lifetime grafts I'd need for my whole head if I develop NW6. Hopefully I'd have enough for scar revision.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, why didn't the doctor wait at least 12 months before performing a second surgery on the same area? 

I thought the scalp is still healing up until the 12 month mark, maybe that compromised your yield?

what I notice in your receiving area is instead patchy redness, as if it were an irritation, are you sure that your scalp is healthy?  I advise you to make a thorough examination before undergoing another transplant, the biopsy is the check that would give you almost absolute certainty.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, Transplant ruined my life said:

Did you reach out to Dr. Diep ? 

No, I don't plan on going back so I haven't considered reaching out to him. 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:24 AM, asterix0 said:

Out of curiosity, why didn't the doctor wait at least 12 months before performing a second surgery on the same area? 

I thought the scalp is still healing up until the 12 month mark, maybe that compromised your yield?

I'm not sure. Perhaps he thought it would be fine to do so. I've seen other cases where people go in for second rounds near their year-mark and have fine yield. Even when I have my hair styled though, I still see the unnatural cornrow implementation so I feel like yield or no yield, the density still wouldn't have been too good. 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, Egy said:

what I notice in your receiving area is instead patchy redness, as if it were an irritation, are you sure that your scalp is healthy?  I advise you to make a thorough examination before undergoing another transplant, the biopsy is the check that would give you almost absolute certainty.

Now that you mention it, I do see that the transplanted region is more red compared to the natural areas of my scalp. My temple areas were itching a few months ago, and there's not very good yield in those areas. 

• Like 1

Wow sorry for your bad experience. 

I was still pretty optimistic in my last post at 5-6 months but now I took a closer look at your 7-month pictures and now I don't believe there is going to be a substantial improvement anymore. 

This is not the first subpar result I see from him unfortunately. 

I remember seeing excellent work from John Diep in the past but recently there have been many subpar results. His method of harvesting also is questionable by multiples aspects. 

Maybe he changed something in the way he does things ?...More volume + less care = subpar results. Maybe not. 

I have no idea to be honest. 

Most US surgeons like him have ridiculously high prices but when it comes to actual results they often look like the average turkish hairmill. 

I'd kindly try to negotiate a refund. 

Otherwise I'd look into Spain/Portugal/Belgium  

But as Pinto advised you definitely hold off from getting another surgery for some time and definitely consider a scalp biopsy. Even though it's rare you might have a scalp condition that prevents proper growth. 

Oral minoxidil may help too in case there might be dormant hair follicles. 

Good luck. Stay strong 

3 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Now that you mention it, I do see that the transplanted region is more red compared to the natural areas of my scalp. My temple areas were itching a few months ago, and there's not very good yield in those areas. 

So listen to me, take a biopsy of your scalp, have 2/3 samples taken, not just one, especially in the most red and itchy areas, if everything is ok, then find a good surgeon and do your transplant.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:37 PM, AlexMeister21 said:

I'm 2-3 years post-op to avoid permanently scarring my frontal area and because the survival rate of grafts may be low if I get a third procedure too soon.

I've had 4 HT's in 3.5 yrs. I've had no visible scarring and graft yield has all been great. 

Maybe your case is completely different, just saying this statement is not true across the board. 

Crown work can take significantly longer for end results, but for the scalp 8 months post op is totally enough time to be making next-step decisions. Any significant changes after 8 months is really for the miracle cases. 

You on the right track to consult with other docs. 

Unless there is a chance Diep will give you a no strings attached refund for previous work done, I would immediately just cut him from your life. 

If you havent been satisfied the first 2 times seeing him, no way in hell the 3rd time would be any different. 

On 7/10/2022 at 2:21 AM, Ali took over said:

I remember seeing excellent work from John Diep in the past but recently there have been many subpar results. His method of harvesting also is questionable by multiples aspects. 

Maybe he changed something in the way he does things ?...More volume + less care = subpar results. Maybe not. 

I have no idea to be honest. 

Most US surgeons like him have ridiculously high prices but when it comes to actual results they often look like the average turkish hairmill. 

I'd kindly try to negotiate a refund.

Yes, I think Diep's results are 50/50 now. A lot of arguments brought up in the controversial Jim Craig thread do make a lot of sense now that I've experienced two surgeries with him.

Do you think this is a case where I should ask for a refund? I think Diep has a strict no refund policy. Interestingly, I was in contact with their clinic several months ago because I was offered a $1,000 returning patient discount during consultation, which I never received. The clinic told me that the dollar per graft price was at a discounted rate, but then I mentioned that there was someone on these forums who never went to Diep before and he was offered a lower rate than me for similar amount of grafts, and this was like 2 weeks after I had my surgery. Then they gave me $500 back.

On 7/10/2022 at 5:11 AM, Yge said:

So listen to me, take a biopsy of your scalp, have 2/3 samples taken, not just one, especially in the most red and itchy areas, if everything is ok, then find a good surgeon and do your transplant.

I'll get one before I get another surgery, whenever that may be.

On 7/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, HappyMan2021 said:

I've had 4 HT's in 3.5 yrs. I've had no visible scarring and graft yield has all been great. 

Maybe your case is completely different, just saying this statement is not true across the board. 

Crown work can take significantly longer for end results, but for the scalp 8 months post op is totally enough time to be making next-step decisions. Any significant changes after 8 months is really for the miracle cases. 

You on the right track to consult with other docs. 

Unless there is a chance Diep will give you a no strings attached refund for previous work done, I would immediately just cut him from your life. 

If you havent been satisfied the first 2 times seeing him, no way in hell the 3rd time would be any different. 

Freitas still advised me to get in contact with them at my 12-month mark even after mentioning the potential scarring, so I'm thinking I might reach out to them again soon and see what they say. My crown got worse recently and I'd definitely like to get that taken care of.

I figured going back to Diep a second time, I should have had all my problems taken care of but it seems I got more problems now. Wouldn't go back a third time even if it was for free because I can't risk having my donor damaged even further.

Edited by AlexMeister21
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I'll get one before I get another surgery, whenever that may be.

however, it is not necessary to do it several times, also because the biopsy leaves 1/2 centimeter scars on the scalp.

10 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Hmm, didn't know about the scars. Might chalk it up to just being a subpar result to be honest.

I hope for you it's just that.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 12:01 PM, AlexMeister21 said:

figured going back to Diep a second time, I should have had all my problems taken care of but it seems I got more problems now. Wouldn't go back a third time even if it was for free because I can't risk having my donor damaged even further.

This is exactly how I feel, 2 years after my 2nd FUE with Diep. While it is an improvement from the 1st, its nowhere near what it should be (And Ive had realistic expectations for each surgery). I scheduled a follow up consult for this month to potentially schedule a 3rd procedure..but even that process was painful. They claimed they never received my updated photos the day of, meaning I couldn't get the consult. Then I reschedule and the front desk never followed up.

I'm just taking that as a sign to leave Diep alone. 

22 hours ago, MillenialHT said:

This is exactly how I feel, 2 years after my 2nd FUE with Diep. While it is an improvement from the 1st, its nowhere near what it should be (And Ive had realistic expectations for each surgery). I scheduled a follow up consult for this month to potentially schedule a 3rd procedure..but even that process was painful. They claimed they never received my updated photos the day of, meaning I couldn't get the consult. Then I reschedule and the front desk never followed up.

I've seen results from other people who went to Diep a second time where they have mentioned that they feel they still have a lack of density in some areas and whatnot. I wonder what clinic choices are leading to these kind of results.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:31 PM, MillenialHT said:

man ive seen your results they are actually really good from where you started 

• Like 1

I've heard that Diep operates on multiple patients a day and he rarely operates on his patients/leaves a lot of the work to be done by his technicians, is this true?

Other top doctors like Konior only see a single patient a day and up to 2-3 patients a week (Now that he ahs Dr Nadimi working along side him). 

I would never EVER trust a doctor who is not in the operating room at all times and has multiple patients in a single day. 

Edited by stephcurry30
  • Like 1

Dr. John Diep has some excellent results but also way too many mediocre ones...

His post-op care seems very poor and seems to outsources a lot of the work to techs too...

And of course he is extremely expensive....

You pay a crazy amount of money and you end up looking like you've been to Ilker Apaydin lol.... 

I'd pick someone like Bicer (who is affordable and "average +"  quality) over guys like Dr. Diep any day of the week. 

16 hours ago, stephcurry30 said:

I've heard that Diep operates on multiple patients a day and he rarely operates on his patients/leaves a lot of the work to be done by his technicians, is this true?

I think he has one FUE and one FUT patient a day, which seems pretty normal for clinics. In my two procedures, I think he was there for the extractions and to make the incisions and then the rest is up to the techs. I barely saw him during my first surgery. Before I was sedated during my second surgery, he told me he'd be there the whole day but was there until sometime before we took lunch at noon, so from like 7:00 to 10:00 or 11:00 am, but he would periodically check-in on the techs.

I think a lot of clinics have techs do the implants, but it is a bit of a concern if you don't know their experience level. I've seen posts from years back up to now where Diep patients complain that their techs seemed inexperienced, which is quite strange. During my second procedure, the techs were asking each other questions where you would ask someone you don't know too well, like "how old are you, are you married, etc." They were also listening to music, singing, and gossiping most of the time and it felt kind of like I was a high school experiment being worked on during science class.

15 hours ago, HAIRLOSS IS MY LIFE said:

Dr. John Diep has some excellent results but also way too many mediocre ones...

His post-op care seems very poor and seems to outsources a lot of the work to techs too...

And of course he is extremely expensive....

You pay a crazy amount of money and you end up looking like you've been to Ilker Apaydin lol.... 

I'd pick someone like Bicer (who is affordable and "average +"  quality) over guys like Dr. Diep any day of the week. 

That is a problem to pay high premium but your result is a roll of a dice.

• Like 2

I'm sincerely sorry for your bad experience bro. 

I know how exhausting mentally, financially and physically it is to go through this  ultramarathon...

It's  a shame cuz the results of the 1st surgery was pretty decent. 

I think he owes you a 50% refund. That sounds fair to me. Perhaps not 100% because the 1st surgery was relatively sucessful but definitely 50% because of the very poor yield in the 2nd one. 

My theory is that the techs might have messed up  during the implantation phase when they tried to implant in between hairs from the 1st surgery... Not everyone is capable of sucessfully implanting on area with already has a significant number of pre-existing hairs. Believe it or not, this requires a very high skillset. 

Dr.Diep is charging 6-8$ per graft and hiring high school kids to "operate" on patients who listen to music and joke...That is  absolutely ridiculous. 

It's really sad but this is an extremely dirty industry. 

Money money money at all cost. No matter the well-being of the patient... Zero ethics. 

That's why I prefer Konior. I'm not saying he's pefect. His prices are  astronomical but at least his results are rock solid and he would never let some party girls perform any of the steps of such an extremely expensive,  life-altering and incredibly complex surgical procedure. You pay, he delivers and you get what you pay for. 

Now the good news is you don't have much hairloss bro. 

Looks like a Nw 2-3 hairline and you're just starting to thin on the crown. 

You wanna stay on a very solid pharmaceutical stack. The last thing you want is your crown starting to expand. Once you lose the crown things become VERY complicated you know what I'm sayin bruh. 

I would hold off from surgeries for a while.

Consider a biopsy in order to rule out any potential rare scalp condition and look for a repair doc. A step by step approach  consisting of 2-3 "baby procedures" might do the trick. Scar tissue is tricky and you don't want to implant too many grafts at once. 

All the best and good luck. 

Edited by HAIRLOSS IS MY LIFE

17 hours ago, stephcurry30 said:

Other top doctors like Konior only see a single patient a day and up to 2-3 patients a week (Now that he ahs Dr Nadimi working along side him). 

I would never EVER trust a doctor who is not in the operating room at all times and has multiple patients in a single day. 

I agree. 

In my opinion, any doctor who....

1. uses nurses for whatever step of the surgery 

2. does several patients a day 

...is a huge red flag. No matter how "reputable" he is. 

• Like 1

Agreed with the general sentiment here about this result. OP to reiterate -- you did nothing wrong and this is absolutely fixable. I don't know how many patients the doctor sees a day, but if it is indeed more than one, you deserve a surgeon who will give you 100% of his attention that day, especially at that price point. 

I'd look into ethical surgeons like Konior, Bisanga, Mwamba, Grabel, or Hattengen (esp if you're able to do another FUT). There's other great Spanish doctors or high Norwood doctors, but imo you don't need many grafts to fix this or to be on a 3+ year wait-list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Z-- said:

Agreed with the general sentiment here about this result. OP to reiterate -- you did nothing wrong and this is absolutely fixable. I don't know how many patients the doctor sees a day, but if it is indeed more than one, you deserve a surgeon who will give you 100% of his attention that day, especially at that price point. 

I'd look into ethical surgeons like Konior, Bisanga, Mwamba, Grabel, or Hattengen (esp if you're able to do another FUT). There's other great Spanish doctors or high Norwood doctors, but imo you don't need many grafts to fix this or to be on a 3+ year wait-list.

I'd like to also add Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Josephitis as well. Super natrual looking results.

• Thanks 1

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23