FUE scars in the Sun and tanning

I'm due to be on holiday the sun for a few weeks in the near future and was wondering if anyone has any experience with FUE scarring and the sun making them stand out and become a lot more visible?

I'm lucky in that I heal and scar very closely to my own skin colour, essentially the exact same really, and so my scars are pretty much invisible even with a skin fade. I've heard a few times before however that any tanning will likely make the scars stand out much more than usual (which makes sense obviously) due to the surrounding skin still having it's pigmentation and the scar tissue not having much left at all. With my hair being so short on the back and sides, the skin in my donor area will most definitely be catching some sun and I don't want to deal with very visible FUE dots on display for months after as a result... has this happened to anyone before, and will a bit of sun cream regularly applied to the back of my head solve the issue if so?

Cheers

• Administrators

It depends on your scars. For the most part, my scars are only visible because it's a dot of missing hair. Sun doesn't affect the scars at all. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have a good friend who is Italian and he did 2 FUE procedures totaling approximately 4,000 grafts…he wears his hair extremely short and likes the fade style…he works in landscaping and during summer months he gets very tanned…well, the healed extraction sites were very visible (white dots) because scar tissue typically does not tan like normal tissue…it is only really noticeable when his scalp is tanned.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Cheers gents, yeah, that's what I was referring to really, whether the scarring will suddenly become extremely obvious due to the surrounding skin tanning and the FUE sites staying the same colour as before. I'll have to lather up on the sun cream and spin my hat backwards or something..

Yep, my friend wears his ball cap backwards to keep his donor zone shaded from the sun.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY