Has Anyone Here Lost Hair from Testosterone Therapy?

• dtap changed the title to Has Anyone Here Lost Hair from Testosterone Therapy?
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 2:02 AM, jackiema said:

My HT doctor said that TRT can cause hair loss and also sees it in transgender people who go from female to male and they have hair loss when they take testosterone. 

Do you know if Clomid which is a medication to improve testosterone levels can also cause hair loss?

7 minutes ago, dtap said:

Do you know if Clomid which is a medication to improve testosterone levels can also cause hair loss?

I have no idea, but I think the general belief is that any medication that increases testosterone would have some of it converted to DHT. A crude google search says that clomid is used to treat female infertility by acting like an estrogen hormone. It seems raising testosterone might be an off label use if used for that. 

Edited by jackiema

Clomid is often used as a post steroid cycle therapy to help stimulate the testes to naturally produce testosterone again. 

As for your original question, if you are susceptible to androgenic male pattern baldness, an increase in DHT risks elevating your balding process.

An increase in testosterone, without the use of a 5ar inhibitor, is more than likely to subsequently increase the level of DHT in your body. 

27 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

As for your original question, if you are susceptible to androgenic male pattern baldness, an increase in DHT risks elevating your balding process.

An increase in testosterone, without the use of a 5ar inhibitor, is more than likely to subsequently increase the level of DHT in your body. 

Hi Curious25,

Appreciate the reply. As for 5ar inhibitors like finasteride and dutasteride, I have erectile dysfunction so use of these meds may worsen my ED condition. That said, do you know of any alternative inhibitors that block DHT without side effects?

As a side note, there are guys who've actually noticed thicker fuller hair while on TRT. Looks like testosterone helps with hair production but too much is bad it seems.

Edited by dtap

32 minutes ago, dtap said:

Hi Curious25,

Appreciate the reply. As for 5ar inhibitors like finasteride and dutasteride, I have erectile dysfunction so use of these meds may worsen my ED condition. That said, do you know of any alternative inhibitors that block DHT without side effects?

As a side note, there are guys who've actually noticed thicker fuller hair while on TRT. Looks like testosterone helps with hair production but too much is bad it seems.

Like I said - if you are prone to androgenic alopecia, increasing testosterone will much more likely than not, worsen your hair. 

It’s not so much a case of finding a 5AR inhibitor that doesn’t cause side effects - rather it being the changes these medications can have on your hormone profile, causing the side effects - so whether this is done naturally with saw palmetto for instance, or using dutasteride - if you are to experience side effects, it is because of what’s happening with your body under the bonnet and how it’s adapting/reacting to the changes, as opposed to the actual med you are taking being the reason. 

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Like I said - if you are prone to androgenic alopecia, increasing testosterone will much more likely than not, worsen your hair.

So what youre saying is if youre not prone to alopecia then increased testosterone wouldnt accelerate hair loss.

But what if one's hormones are so low that increasing it a bit doesnt increase hair loss? Say one stabilizes their hormone level to baseline, not too high and not too low either, just normal level without affecting hair. That may be also a possibility.

25 minutes ago, dtap said:

So what youre saying is if youre not prone to alopecia then increased testosterone wouldnt accelerate hair loss.

Yes, 'androgenic alopecia' exactly this. 

25 minutes ago, dtap said:

But what if one's hormones are so low that increasing it a bit doesnt increase hair loss? Say one stabilizes their hormone level to baseline, not too high and not too low either, just normal level without affecting hair. That may be also a possibility.

Its unfortunately due to your individual hair follicle sensitivity. So this is going to sound somewhat paradoxical from my last point, however your level of follicle sensitivity outweighs how high or low your DHT or androgen levels are in general, when it comes to hair loss.

Eg - someone who has no hair follicle sensitivity to androgens can have sky high levels of test and DHT, and remain with a full head of hair.. Someone whose hair follicles are very sensitive to androgens, can have rock bottom levels of test and DHT, yet still lose ground. 

What you need to understand is - if you are prone to androgenic alopecia, an increase in testosterone, whether or not your testosterone levels are in the gutter to begin with or not, is going to negatively affect your hair. 

Edited by Curious25

Anything that increases Testosterone, whether it be replacement, Clomid to boost production, etc. will also have some of that test converting to DHT, which in turn will cause more hair loss.  There's no way around it.

Check out my journey here:

Derek from More Plates More Dates did a write up on steroids and Finasteride.

It might also be worth looking into Ru58841 - its a popular topical amongst bodybuilders/exogenous hormone users.

• 3 months later...

Dtap,

i’ve never been prescribed testosterone nor have I ever undergone hormone therapy. However, it is possible that increasing the amount of testosterone in your body will result in hair loss.  To understand why this is possible, you need to know how androgenetic alopecia works.

Androgenetic alopecia a.k.a. genetic male pattern baldness is a hereditary condition carried out by the hormone dihydrotestosterone or DHT.  Those hair follicles that are susceptible to DHT will inevitably fall out throughout the course of time as programmed by genetics.  Note that some hair follicles are more susceptible to DHT than others.

DHT is created in the body when 5-alpha reductase enzymes combine with testosterone.  Hair loss medication such as finasteride works because it reduces the number of 5-alpha reductase enzymes in the body, minimizing the amount of DHT created.

Now consider the opposite. If one increases the amount of testosterone in the body, more 5-alpha reductase enzymes have a partner to create DHT with, hence a greater production of DHT.  The greater the amount of DHT in the body, the greater the likelihood that  those hair follicles susceptible to it will fall out  

Similarly, women who suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS have a larger quantity of male androgen hormones in the body and as a result, can experience hair loss.

So I hope this helps explain why an increase of testosterone may increase the likelihood of  hair loss.

Note however, that if an individual doesn’t contain the genetic traits for androgenetic alopecia to occur, increasing testosterone won’t do anything for the hair, good or bad. That said, it may and will have other effects on the body good or bad.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Note that I am aware that this particular topic was created some time ago however, somebody recently just bumped it. As a result, I thought I would share my two cents so anybody reading this topic while researching can understand how this works. 🙂

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.