A couple of questions

So, I've been considering a transplant and after lurking in this forum for a while I've wondered about a few things:

If I have a transplant will I need to constantly style my hair? It seems like all the people I've seen on this forum put a lot of product in their hair whereas I'd normally have my hair messy/unstyled.

I've seen many people talk about needing multiple hair transplants, is this because you're experiencing more hair loss or because you're not happy with the first result?

I would say I was a Norwood 3/4, my crown seems perfectly fine but my temples have receded a long way. What is the top and bottom ends of what I should expect to pay for this in Europe for a decent result? I imagine it's difficult to say but any estimate would be helpful!

I think I have very thin hair, what will this mean for my transplant?

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

Some pictures would help people give you a better estimate. Pictures of the top, sides and back. I would say minimum budget for a decent Turkey option seems to around 4k USD not including travel. 

As far as styling your hair, I would think that having more hair, you'd likely enjoy styling it. Dry/messy should work.

I'm early in the process so I'm not sure, but I don't plan on using fillers and stuff since i never have. I'm hoping that I won't need it. Hopefully just my usual gel product, but I hadn't put much thought into it. 

HTornotHT,

People get multiple hair transplants for various reasons.  While some are not fully satisfied with the first procedure, others have lost additional hair and require additional work to keep up with the progression of male pattern baldness.  Others have extensive thinning/baldness and one procedure just isn’t enough to provide the amount of density and coverage they need to be satisfied. Also, donor hair is limited and only so much can be harvested in a single procedure which is why multiple procedures may be needed even if hair loss isn’t continuing.

That said, if you want specific feedback on your case, I suggest posting some photos showing your hairline, the top of your scalp, the crown and the sides and back of your scalp.  Also, have you done any research on surgeons and the various donor harvesting techniques?  What are your short-term and long-term hair restoration goals?

Also some background information such as your age, family history of hair loss, hair loss treatment regimen and whether or not you’re still losing hair would be helpful.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

If you're suffering from hair loss, have naturally thin hair, and don't want to bother with styling it, you should consider just shaving it to a buzz length or all the way off. Maybe get on finasteride if you want to pull off the buzzed look for as long as possible.

Hair transplants never match your original hair density, they just provide enough to create the 'illusion of density.' So viewing distance, angle, and lighting become your constant enemy. Styling products, concealing products, and even additional hair transplants help maintain the illusion.

So again, if you want to go back to the days when you just jumped out the bed out the door on your way...buzz it or shave it.

9 hours ago, HTornotHT said:

So, I've been considering a transplant and after lurking in this forum for a while I've wondered about a few things:

If I have a transplant will I need to constantly style my hair? It seems like all the people I've seen on this forum put a lot of product in their hair whereas I'd normally have my hair messy/unstyled.

I've seen many people talk about needing multiple hair transplants, is this because you're experiencing more hair loss or because you're not happy with the first result?

I would say I was a Norwood 3/4, my crown seems perfectly fine but my temples have receded a long way. What is the top and bottom ends of what I should expect to pay for this in Europe for a decent result? I imagine it's difficult to say but any estimate would be helpful!

I think I have very thin hair, what will this mean for my transplant?

Thanks for your help!

There are many reasons why people get a transplant.  First, I think they become self-aware. So, if it bothers you, do something about it.  It's important to understand, if you've shown the propensity to lose, this will continue.  Consider medical therapies to help you with retention and perhaps enhancement of the native hair.

So, if you have a transplant, by definition, you will have more hair than before.  Now you'll have the option of doing whatever you want, including, (or not) using products.  So, no - you do not need to constantly style anything. It is up to you.  We have many patients who just leave it alone and put nothing.  

Multiple hair transplants can stem from a number of things.  Most doctors believe grafts compete for blood supply. They will explain a base is required, and then multiple procedures are required to achieve density.  Another example involves the patient...Perhaps he wants to move forward in stages.  At the time of your research, it is important to ask about credentials.  Where did the doctor learn to do this? Fellowships in hair are hard to come by.

Fine hair will typically yield very natural results if done properly. You just need more hair to achieve the same result of a patient with coarser hair.  At the time of your in-person evaluation, ask the doctor how many grafts it will take to work the area(s) you're concerned with. 

Post some photos. There are many contributors here who are willing to help by sharing their experience with you.

Lastly, are you considering FUE or FUT?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:13 PM, JoeMan said:

Some pictures would help people give you a better estimate. Pictures of the top, sides and back. I would say minimum budget for a decent Turkey option seems to around 4k USD not including travel. 

As far as styling your hair, I would think that having more hair, you'd likely enjoy styling it. Dry/messy should work.

I'm early in the process so I'm not sure, but I don't plan on using fillers and stuff since i never have. I'm hoping that I won't need it. Hopefully just my usual gel product, but I hadn't put much thought into it. 

Thanks for your reply, pics attached. I hadn't noticed but I think I'll need some crown work as well.

And good to know, who are you going to?

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

On 1/26/2022 at 5:29 PM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

HTornotHT,

People get multiple hair transplants for various reasons.  While some are not fully satisfied with the first procedure, others have lost additional hair and require additional work to keep up with the progression of male pattern baldness.  Others have extensive thinning/baldness and one procedure just isn’t enough to provide the amount of density and coverage they need to be satisfied. Also, donor hair is limited and only so much can be harvested in a single procedure which is why multiple procedures may be needed even if hair loss isn’t continuing.

That said, if you want specific feedback on your case, I suggest posting some photos showing your hairline, the top of your scalp, the crown and the sides and back of your scalp.  Also, have you done any research on surgeons and the various donor harvesting techniques?  What are your short-term and long-term hair restoration goals?

Also some background information such as your age, family history of hair loss, hair loss treatment regimen and whether or not you’re still losing hair would be helpful.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Hi Rahal,

Thanks for your reply, I posted some pictures above. I'm 30, both dad and granddad on my mums side are bald, I've been taking fin 1mg and min. I'm not sure whether I'm still losing hair because it hasn't been short enough for a while to tell but I haven't noticed it getting shorter.

I have done some research, I'm not particularly bothered, I'd probably prefer FUE but I read they yield similar results and FUT is cheaper, is this just due to more scarring occurring with FUT? I was hoping to get it done reasonably quickly but I saw some people have a wait list of a year, is that the same for most of the doctors featured on this site?

Edited by HTornotHT

On 1/26/2022 at 5:56 PM, ciaus said:

If you're suffering from hair loss, have naturally thin hair, and don't want to bother with styling it, you should consider just shaving it to a buzz length or all the way off. Maybe get on finasteride if you want to pull off the buzzed look for as long as possible.

Hair transplants never match your original hair density, they just provide enough to create the 'illusion of density.' So viewing distance, angle, and lighting become your constant enemy. Styling products, concealing products, and even additional hair transplants help maintain the illusion.

So again, if you want to go back to the days when you just jumped out the bed out the door on your way...buzz it or shave it.

Okay good to know! Thanks!

On 1/26/2022 at 6:47 PM, LaserCaps said:

There are many reasons why people get a transplant.  First, I think they become self-aware. So, if it bothers you, do something about it.  It's important to understand, if you've shown the propensity to lose, this will continue.  Consider medical therapies to help you with retention and perhaps enhancement of the native hair.

So, if you have a transplant, by definition, you will have more hair than before.  Now you'll have the option of doing whatever you want, including, (or not) using products.  So, no - you do not need to constantly style anything. It is up to you.  We have many patients who just leave it alone and put nothing.  

Multiple hair transplants can stem from a number of things.  Most doctors believe grafts compete for blood supply. They will explain a base is required, and then multiple procedures are required to achieve density.  Another example involves the patient...Perhaps he wants to move forward in stages.  At the time of your research, it is important to ask about credentials.  Where did the doctor learn to do this? Fellowships in hair are hard to come by.

Fine hair will typically yield very natural results if done properly. You just need more hair to achieve the same result of a patient with coarser hair.  At the time of your in-person evaluation, ask the doctor how many grafts it will take to work the area(s) you're concerned with. 

Post some photos. There are many contributors here who are willing to help by sharing their experience with you.

Lastly, are you considering FUE or FUT?

Hi Lasercaps, Thanks for your reply.

I think I've been at the self-aware point for a while! I'm taking fin and min and as I mentioned above I haven't noticed more loss.

I've posted some photos above.

Good to know that fine hair can yield good results.

1 hour ago, HTornotHT said:

Thanks for your reply, pics attached. I hadn't noticed but I think I'll need some crown work as well.

And good to know, who are you going to?

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5724.jpg

Are you taking any medication? It looks like you really should as your midscalp is thinning and it could help you being on Finasteride and preserving against future hairloss. 

Your left temple looks fine but your right temples a little weaker. Finasteride may or may not help this, but you should give it about 22 months to fully see the effectiveness. 

I think you will need to accept a more conservative hairline design and that's sometimes the harder part for people to accept.