Steve Gabel or Hasson and Wong for FUE?

I took the advice here and started to look for smaller size surgeries to start instead of going to Eugenix right away.

I am wondering which surgeon is better for FUE. Gable quoted me 2000-2500 grafs to fill the front and mid scalp. Hasson and Wong quoted me 3500-4000 grafs to cover the front and mid scalp. 

I’ve heard good things about both surgeons. I may go with Gable because it might be better to start with a smaller surgery to see how my body reacts. 

Both don’t want to touch the crown in the first surgery. 

Any thoughts?

see below 

08FF7622-8EF7-4FD2-A57D-4C42922B757B.jpeg

I've actually seen Dr. Gabel operate and came away thoroughly impressed. He was trained by Dr. Konior and his involvement and degree of perfection when it comes to doing all aspects of the surgery are awesome. I recommend Dr. Gabel wholeheartedly. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

@Mattk494 How old are you? I've found that if you are under the age of 40, you really have to come up with a compelling reason to get a doctor to work on your crown. As final form crown loss often occurs later in life than final form frontal-scalp loss. 

Also keep in mind the crown is known as a black-hole for grafts and often needs many more grafts than the front does in order to provide the illusion of density. 

I think you are a younger guy? And given you are a NW6, I would expect no doctor good or bad to work on your crown. 

I hope you are aware of end-goal expectations as well. A good multiple surgery end-result for a NW 6 is often a dense front and mid but still a thinning crown - due to a lack of donor supply. 

There are obviously exceptions to this and some NW6's on this site have gotten full and coverage cases, but there is a significant degree of luck involved in pulling this off. 

Edited by SadMan2021

I am fine with being bald on the top. Hasson has an opening February 8th and February 9th. So I have to make a decision right away. Maybe I should not rush into it and wait until July time frame. 

Plus it’s hard to take off work on such a short time frame.

Edited by Mattk494

5 minutes ago, Mattk494 said:

Hasson has an opening February 8th and February 9th

that is so soon! How long have you been consulting with them, what's the timeline been like?

I submitted the website consult form last week and am just waiting to hear back from them. 

It is so soon. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if work will let me take off since it’s busy season now. So unfortunate, the next opening isn’t until July. I’ll probably have to end up waiting. 

Also I’m young and have aggressive hairloss. I’m only in my late 20’s almost 30.

Edited by Mattk494

8 minutes ago, Mattk494 said:

t is so soon. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if work will let me take off since it’s busy season now. So unfortunate, the next opening isn’t until July. I’ll probably have to end up waiting. 

Also I’m young and have aggressive hairloss. I’m only in my late 20’s almost 30.

just curious how long it was from the time you submitted your initial inquiry H&W to the time you had the actual consult?

And yes its definitely not in your best interest to have crown work done at this time given your age and degree of loss. 

2 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

just curious how long it was from the time you submitted your initial inquiry H&W to the time you had the actual consult?

And yes its definitely not in your best interest to have crown work done at this time given your age and degree of loss. 

It took about 1 week to get a response from their representative Doug. How long have you been waiting.

Yeah I am not going to do the crown till much later. Going to try to keep microneedling. I wish I started on these hairloss treatments sooner.

some days it just seems easier just to be bald.

11 minutes ago, Mattk494 said:

It took about 1 week to get a response from their representative Doug. How long have you been waiting.

Yeah I am not going to do the crown till much later. Going to try to keep microneedling. I wish I started on these hairloss treatments sooner.

some days it just seems easier just to be bald.

thanks. I've been waiting a week or so. I do have Doug's email address so I will email him directly.

Good luck with the microneedling. I haven't seen much talk about it on this site but on the Reddit hairloss forums there is a lot more discussion. 

I'm somewhat skeptical of it, but I've never done it so am not a subject matter expert. But on Reddit all the microneedling success stories seem to be very young people (early 20s) who are Norwood 2's at most. But it can't hurt to try. 

And yes my own hair transplant journey is literally the most stressful thing I have going on in my life. I definitely understand why so many guys decline to fight this war and elect to go bald instead. Can't fault anyone for doing that, it is the natural result after all lol. 

Edited by SadMan2021

You're going to need multiple surgeries based on your age and current loss. I think Dr Gabel's approach is very smart and he does excellent work. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Yes I agree. It is best to be conservative since I am so young. And it is wise to use grafs sparingly. I have reserved August 30th. I can’t wait for my first hair transplant.

Edited by Mattk494

• Administrators

You were thinking about Eugenix, then Pittella, now Gabel and Hasson and Wong. You already mentioned being rejected by Dr. Hasson. I feel like you haven't really thought about the reality of surgery and now you're acting on impulse. I can see you getting major buyers remorse after getting a hair transplant. I listed several reasons why I don't feel you're a candidate, and this is just another reason to the list.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I was initially rejected by H&W because I sent them photos where my hair was really really short and it looked like I was full bald.

I made the decision to be conservative. So I took Eugenix and Pitella off of the table. 

I see nothing wrong with deciding to be conservative. I am fine with the front filled in and a bald spot on top. 

I don’t have unrealistic expectations. I’ve thought about surgery for years. I used hair fibers for years but alway considered a hair transplant and was doing research then too. 

a lot of people ask which surgeon they should pick. I’m not the odd one out. 

Edited by Mattk494

19 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You were thinking about Eugenix, then Pittella, now Gabel and Hasson and Wong. You already mentioned being rejected by Dr. Hasson. I feel like you haven't really thought about the reality of surgery and now you're acting on impulse. I can see you getting major buyers remorse after getting a hair transplant. I listed several reasons why I don't feel you're a candidate, and this is just another reason to the list.

I have thought about surgery for years. It is just hard to decide on a surgeon. I want to be conservative and I am happy with Gabel’s results as well as Hasson and Wong even though they are a little more aggressive.