How To Sleep After A Hair Transplant *Tutorial

• Administrators

• Like 7

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks a lot for sharing Melvin. Caught it on the YouTube link while browsing. 

I have a really strong sneaking suspicion that i have a tendency to turn on my sides and probably touch my head and whatnot whilst sleeping. 

Is it better to sleep in an upright position and tie my wrists to around the feet/ankle to limit range of motion? 

I know it sounds super weird and whatnot, but i am literally terrified of the idea of screwing myself over by losing grafts to stupid things that i can't usually control. 

• Haha 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I have a really strong sneaking suspicion that i have a tendency to turn on my sides and probably touch my head and whatnot whilst sleeping. 

Is it better to sleep in an upright position and tie my wrists to around the feet/ankle to limit range of motion? 

I know it sounds super weird and whatnot, but i am literally terrified of the idea of screwing myself over by losing grafts to stupid things that i can't usually control. 

That’s a little drastic, just sleep with a surgeon’s cap on. Just sleep in an upright position. If you touch your hair you’ll feel the cap. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

20 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That’s a little drastic, just sleep with a surgeon’s cap on. Just sleep in an upright position. If you touch your hair you’ll feel the cap. 

Yeah, i know it sounds drastic and weird. It's i guess the idea that subconsciously i'm going to try scratch my head in my sleep like if i had an itch or something. Leading me to damaging my grafts. 

It's probably the biggest post-HT fear i have. Being personally responsible for a loss of grafts. 

Thanks Melvin, for the video.  Since you did a lot of flying after your most recent HT, do you have any tips on sleeping on an airplane taken within the first 7 days post op?  Or just dealing with a long flight afterward?

Edited by Lightmare

5 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

Post op sleeping is definitely one of the worst things about the surgery. Especially with waking up every 2 hours to put saline spray on. Every surgery Ive had has been followed by a week of no sleep basically.

That's actually a good thing i also want to ask more on. 

@Melvin- Moderatorhow often post-op and for how many days should we be spraying the scalp with Saline etc.?

Also would love to hear your tips on sleeping on a plane or if you got a window/aisle seat, navigating your way to the toilet. 

I'm a taller guy, the stories of guys bumping their heads and losing grafts made me decide to stay put a little longer before travelling back is probably a better idea. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Lightmare said:

Thanks Melvin, for the video.  Since you did a lot of flying after your most recent HT, do you have any tips on sleeping on an airplane taken within the first 7 days post op?  Or just dealing with a long flight afterward?

Buy some over the counter sleep aids. Stay away from alcohol on the plane. Keep your surgical cap on.

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators
4 hours ago, NARMAK said:

That's actually a good thing i also want to ask more on. 

@Melvin- Moderatorhow often post-op and for how many days should we be spraying the scalp with Saline etc.?

Also would love to hear your tips on sleeping on a plane or if you got a window/aisle seat, navigating your way to the toilet. 

I'm a taller guy, the stories of guys bumping their heads and losing grafts made me decide to stay put a little longer before travelling back is probably a better idea. 

To be honest, I’m not a huge believer in the saline spray. Spraying once in a while is fine. There’s absolutely no need to lose sleep over not spraying literally and figuratively. I didn’t spray at all on my second surgery and I had great growth. 

View my thread

29 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

To be honest, I’m not a huge believer in the saline spray. Spraying once in a while is fine. There’s absolutely no need to lose sleep over not spraying literally and figuratively. I didn’t spray at all on my second surgery and I had great growth. 

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware that regular use of saline spray and keeping the area moisturised apparently is helpful, so i'd probably like to do it every 3/4 hours or so post-op for maybe 7-10 days. Just during that initial period where scabs etc. can develop and help to make it easy for cleaning.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:48 PM, NARMAK said:

If you're really worried, people with sleep behavior disorders (where they act out their dreams) use mittens and zip themselves up in sleeping bags so they don't punch objects or the wall while they sleep.

May be overkill for hair surgery, but if you're worried you're going to claw out the staples or start ripping out follicles in your sleep then this may be for you.

image.png.f46e14758681ac1353554e29893ee48c.png

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

If you're really worried, people with sleep behavior disorders (where they act out their dreams) use mittens and zip themselves up in sleeping bags so they don't punch objects or the wall while they sleep.

May be overkill for hair surgery, but if you're worried you're going to claw out the staples or start ripping out follicles in your sleep then this may be for you.

image.png.f46e14758681ac1353554e29893ee48c.png

Lmao, no, i don't think it's that drastic where i punch etc. 

My concerns are more to do with me turning side to side while i sleep, as well as potentially scratching my head during sleep and losing grafts as a result. 

I read one post about tying the wrists towards the ankle/feet as a means to limit range of motion which I think i might use and think a large neck pillow and sleeping upright might be the best way for the first week or so. Not ideal, but the alternative concerns me more and a weeks bad sleep than a poor result from something preventable will haunt me far longer i'd reckon. 

On 1/21/2022 at 5:39 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

lol i caught this on youtube trying to look up ways to sleep and I realized ... i know this guy somewhere.

Personally i dont think i could pull that off. I move around too much in my sleep and I dont trust myself to not do something reckless. I may have to get some kind of chair to sleep in instead.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

On 1/21/2022 at 7:48 PM, NARMAK said:

Youre not alone friend. I had similar thoughts Im trying to come up with as many ways possible to anticipate things on how I would actually do them if i go through with a HT.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• Moderators

If you have a recliner chair, I found it easier to sleep in the recliner than it was trying to prop up pillows on the bed. I always end up turning when in bed, but it's much harder to turn on your side in a reclining chair. I do use a neck pillow which also helps to keep you from turning on your side and it makes sure the back of your head doesn't touch the pillows.

EDIT: A chair like below is what I'm talking about.

464526468_ScreenShot2022-01-24at6_39_25AM.png.9102f76309fb490fe6d4258e698cba67.png

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

For those of you really nervous, this costs about $200 but is basically perfect 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

View my thread