FUE Extraction pattern...

From what I've seen, there seems to be two main forms of FUE extraction: 

1. Majority of grafts taken from one close area at the back - the safe zone. 

2. Grafts taken from a much more homogenised area i.e. spread out from all over the scalp.

So, I'm curious how each clinic chooses their method of extraction. I presume each method comes with their own pros and cons...

First method - PROS - stronger, longer lasting grafts. Easier and faster to extract.    CONS - perhaps more visible with a shorter haircut.

Second method - PROS - Much more dispersed and thus less visible to the naked eye.    CONS - Perhaps less 'DHT resistant' and less likely to last as long as the first method. 

So, I'm wondering did the clinic you had your FUE at offer you the choice? Was the extraction method ever mentioned at your consultation? And how are your grafts holding up now? Do you regret your particular method of extraction?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

• Administrators
16 hours ago, follically challenged said:

From what I've seen, there seems to be two main forms of FUE extraction: 

1. Majority of grafts taken from one close area at the back - the safe zone. 

2. Grafts taken from a much more homogenised area i.e. spread out from all over the scalp.

So, I'm curious how each clinic chooses their method of extraction. I presume each method comes with their own pros and cons...

First method - PROS - stronger, longer lasting grafts. Easier and faster to extract.    CONS - perhaps more visible with a shorter haircut.

Second method - PROS - Much more dispersed and thus less visible to the naked eye.    CONS - Perhaps less 'DHT resistant' and less likely to last as long as the first method. 

So, I'm wondering did the clinic you had your FUE at offer you the choice? Was the extraction method ever mentioned at your consultation? And how are your grafts holding up now? Do you regret your particular method of extraction?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Initially, my first surgery grafts were taken in a strip zone. Obvious patchiness in the donor. Second surgery it was more spread out, but still concentrated in a specific zone. My third and last surgery it was a lot more spread which left my donor looking better than the previous two surgeries. In my opinion, a homogenous extraction pattern is better, even if some grafts do thin, if placed strategically, for example the hairline and temple points, it could lead to a more natural thinning appearance in the future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

i never understood the whole "safe zone" idea, even if you extract hairs from DHT resistant areas the rest of your hair is going to thin out and now you look weird.

if you stay on medication as advised then this wouldn't be an issue so i think unless you are already full bald and getting a HT to cover everything you need to stay on fin regardless then the whole safe zone thing wont matter

• Like 2