The itching is killing me. Any suggestions

I had my transplant on thursday. No pain, but the itching from the donor site is a killer. Any suggestions to reduce it. Also, how many nights do you need to sleep upright. I am wearing a headband and taking a water pill.

No regrets, I'm lovin it.

I had my transplant on thursday. No pain, but the itching from the donor site is a killer. Any suggestions to reduce it. Also, how many nights do you need to sleep upright. I am wearing a headband and taking a water pill.

No regrets, I'm lovin it.

Some ice cubes in a Ziplok bag may help. I recieved a foaming anti-itch solution after my HT but I'll be damned if I know the name of it. The stuff basically made the area numb and felt so good. Sorry to tease you with this info, but Im sure that if you look hard enough at OTC medication in an Eckerds or CVS youll find something similar.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I didn't have major itching, but what little I had, I would gently pat the area with the palm of my hand. That help me a lot!!

As for sleeping, as long as you haven't had any bleeding or major "oozing" or atleast has stopped since 24 hrs. After 4 nights of upright you are safe to lay normal, but only do it on your back. 10 days, It's a free for all.

I kept a towel just hanging around my neck, and I got a very small spray bottle from walmart. Anytime I started to itch, I'd spray water onto my hair, and the running of the water down my head took care of the itching. My doc also gave me some stuff for itching, but I never used it once.

NC30, did you get dissolvable sutures or stitches? I want the dissolvable type so I don't have to travel back to Charlotte 2 weeks later, but I don't want a wide scar. Any suggestions on which to get?

The doc recommended normal sutures for the best results with my scar. I figured the trip back to Charlotte was worth it.....and I'm VERY happy with my scar. I think socialdrinker made the same choice, and his results, while still fresh, are pretty good as well.

And getting better everyday, as far as I can tell.

Thanks, BrianK for remembering the name of that stuff. The first week post op I barely used it, but the second week started to get a little brutal. I used the whole can. When i went back in for the stitch removal, Dr. Cooley offered me a new can but I declined. Didnt need it after that second week.

Notsohairy, the first 2 weeks are the worst (obviously) but youll find that one day you wake up and there is no tightness and/or itchiness other than on rare occasion. I wish you the best.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I just had my HT yesterday and Dr. Charles does not recommend the dissolvable sutures. I cannot travel back to Boca Raton for removal so my wife will try and remove them in a few weeks. I am only 24 hrs out but still no pain or itch. I have been using an ice pack for 15 minutes every waking hour and I am using a spray called GraftCyte at least 10 times a day.

Brando, there just sutures man.

No special tools needed. Just a keen eye.

Would recommend some medic scissors. Easily obtained in a first aid section of a pharmacy. They have short clippers on them. But regualer scissors will work, just a little more clumbsy.

When I had knee surgery, I removed my stiches myself with nail clippers. It's not a big deal.

Notsohairy

What type of suture was used? I do not recall this mentioned in your post. Just curious to know if one type causes more discomfort, itching etc. I am 48 hrs out with regular stitches and have not had any itching problem. Dr. Charles indicated that suture removal is not complicated. Just need a good sharp small scissor and tweezers. My wife was an LPN many yrs ago and she said that it should not be a big deal to remove them.

My surgeon always had me shampoo with xtra strength Dandruff shampoo (over the counter). I always slept uprigh in my recliner for 5 days (or in your bed with 4-5 pillows). Try an ice pack on the back as well.

I also used alot of water in a spray bottle to help with itching...helped alot. Also used some of the supplied Graftcyte on the scar. It kind of gave it a cooling feeling.

As far as suture removal. I was on vacation with my girlfriend out of town when mine needed to come out. Called a bunch of clinics to see if they could do it. No one wanted to because they hadnt performed the procedure themselves. One Dr. said he would do it but would have to charge $500.00 I said no way! I had my girl friend do it. It took her 5 minutes and there was no pain. I do recommend good scissors as well. It makes a huge difference having these out. Much more comfortable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I do recommend good scissors as well. It makes a huge difference having these out. Much more comfortable.

A good buzz helps too! (for you, not her)

Just wondering if the itching in the donor region goes away soon after the staples/stitches are removed?

I have staples and need to go another week with them in.

Or does the itching still continue for a while?

Just wondering if the itching in the donor region goes away soon after the staples/stitches are removed?

Mine went away pretty much immediately after they were removed, save for the occasional itch, which I still have.

i would be careful with sutres.. make sure you get them all out

the doctor removed mine after surgery but the area continued to hurt. It hurt so bad I shaved my head to see what the problem was. Well he left a big piece of stich in my head. once I pulled it out the pain went away.

my whole point is make sure she gets them all. because even though most of the sutres dissolve, as mine should have.. it didnt, and hurt like heck later.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"