Beard Bald Patch Causes

I am 32, and first noticed a bald patch to the left of my mouth when I was 25. I have not noticed any further beard hair loss since first observing this. Wondering what the root cause of this is, and if it is likely I will have further beard loss in my life?

I do not have any autoimmune diseases or any other medical issues which cause hair loss. My scalp is a run-of-the-mill NW3 in a classic MPB pattern. I have never experienced diffuse thinning or random bald patches anywhere else on my body. The rest of my facial hair is strong and healthy.

20220109_135652.jpg

20220109_135635.jpg

Bald Patch Highlighted 2.png

Bald Patch Highlighted.png

Edited by SadMan2021

• Administrators

Do you have eczema? 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Do you have eczema? 

I actually do have pretty bad eczema in my hands, funny you mention it. I've never noticed noted any facial eczema-unless you think that could be related?

If it helps too, this bald patch has been a permanent thing I've noticed for 7 years now. Its not like a seasonal or temporary flare up, which is what my hand eczema is. 

Edited by SadMan2021

Just now, SadMan2021 said:

I've been on Dutasteride for the last 3 years, and was on Fin for 2 years before that. I never noticed a progression of the beard bald patch even without being on meds. 

No change in body hair or beard in general with duta?

• Moderators

You said you first noticed it around age 25 and it hasn't gotten worse since. Could it be that it's always been a weak spot and simply got more noticeable as your beard hair around the area matured and grew in more through your late teens and early 20s?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Personally, I’d like to see what the area looks like if you grew your beard hair out a bit. To be honest, it doesn’t look like a bald spot to me.  It just looks like the hair doesn’t grow as thick there as it does in other places.  Note that if you are suffering from eczema or another condition that could be causing an issue then I suggest seeing a dermatologist to get treatment.

However, I just figured I’d point out the possibility that perhaps you’ve started growing thicker and fuller beard hair in other places while that particular area may just not be developed enough to grow thicker beard hair.  This is actually very common in many men.  In other words, many men have issues growing thick hair in that particular area and it has nothing to do with any particular condition.  But, if you were once able to grow thick hair there and it is now thinner, then consider the possibilities that others are suggesting above. And then see a dermatologist/medical professional to determine the actual issue.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

I actually do have pretty bad eczema in my hands, funny you mention it. I've never noticed noted any facial eczema-unless you think that could be related?

If it helps too, this bald patch has been a permanent thing I've noticed for 7 years now. Its not like a seasonal or temporary flare up, which is what my hand eczema is. 

I noticed a bald patch when I had a bad eczema flare up. Looks like you might have eczema on your face near your nose.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, BeHappy said:

You said you first noticed it around age 25 and it hasn't gotten worse since. Could it be that it's always been a weak spot and simply got more noticeable as your beard hair around the area matured and grew in more through your late teens and early 20s?

it's definitely possible. I've never grown  a full-on beard (or even desired one for that matter), so it is possible I've always had this weak spot and just became cognizant of it when I was 25. 

Even though I don't necessarily want a beard, I'm really just curious behind the science/explanation for the bald patch. 

3 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I noticed a bald patch when I had a bad eczema flare up. Looks like you might have eczema on your face near your nose.

thanks. I'm actually seeing my dermatologist next month for a routine checkup. I've never brought up this bald patch before (and its never been brought up by a doctor) so I'll be sure to mention it to her. 

7 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

However, I just figured I’d point out the possibility that perhaps you’ve started growing thicker and fuller beard hair in other places while that particular area may just not be developed enough to grow thicker beard hair.  This is actually very common in many men.  In other words, many men have issues growing thick hair in that particular area and it has nothing to do with any particular condition.  

this is definitely a possibility. I've never grown out my facial hair to a full-on beard (the longest Ive grown it out is 2 weeks), so I can't say for certain what the coverage would look like with a beard. 

Can you explain the science why this specific area is a common spot to be underdeveloped? Or why in general men may have underdeveloped/rough patches (or whatever you want to call it) in the facial area?

thanks!

Well I can’t necessarily explain the science behind it, I just know that many men either can’t seem to grow hair in this particular area or it takes longer for them to be able to grow hair there.  Think about when you started to see signs of facial hair growth when you were young.  It typically starts at the chin with some signs of mustache hair growth, possibly in conjunction with some sideburn growth.  As you get older, the hair growth continues and eventually the areas connect.  This continues to thicken and expand as you get older enabling men to be able to grow a full beard in time.   But the area you are concerned about is one of the last areas to thicken up. Some men are just never able to grow hair there while others just have to wait many years until it finally grows and thickens.

Rahal Hair Transplant. 

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

2 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Well I can’t necessarily explain the science behind it, I just know that many men either can’t seem to grow hair in this particular area or it takes longer for them to be able to grow hair there.  Think about when you started to see signs of facial hair growth when you were young.  It typically starts at the chin with some signs of mustache hair growth, possibly in conjunction with some sideburn growth.  As you get older, the hair growth continues and eventually the areas connect.  This continues to thicken and expand as you get older enabling men to be able to grow a full beard in time.   But the area you are concerned about is one of the last areas to thicken up. Some men are just never able to grow hair there while others just have to wait many years until it finally grows and thickens.

thanks

• Valued Contributor
15 hours ago, JP28 said:

You think it could be the cause? 

For men who are affected by DHT converting to 5ar there has been an argument that while Finasteride helps DHT blockage in the scalp for hair to grow, slow the balding process, it can have the opposite effect on body hair. In theory this might be the case but I personally haven’t seen it. 

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 1