Second FUT Shockloss/Ugly Duckling

Hi!

I have a few questions for those who have had a second FUT procedure. I am seriously considering a second procedure of around 3000 grafts to add density to the hairline and put grafts in the crown. My questions are:

1) What was the shockloss like in the recipient area?

2) Was the ugly duckling phase better, worse or the same as the first procedure?

I would hope that the new transplanted hairs, being hidden amongst the older 4,400 transplanted hairs from the first procedure (I doubt I have any native ones left now), would not be seen very easily and so the ugly duckling phase would be less noticeable. However, this will only be true if there is limited shockloss in the recipient otherwise the new transplanted hairs will not be hidden. As the transplanted hairs from the first procedure are healthy hairs, I would expect there to be limited shockloss, on paper at least. What are other people's experiences with this. 

Thanks in advance

Trix

In most cases the visibility after the second procedure is less than after the first. This is because you will have the healthier hairs present from the first procedure and the weaker hairs would most likely have fallen out from shock after first surgery.  

I’ve had a total of four hair transplant procedures and I’d say that shock loss was probably worse during the first two.  Like Dr. Charles said, this is likely because there are more healthy hairs from precious transplants.  And while transplanted hairs can shed from shock loss, it’s not as common.  

As far as the ugly duckling phase, I’d say this correlates to how much shock loss I’ve had.  So I’d day it was also probably worse after the first two procedures. That said I did shave my head completely after my last two procedures so I certainly didn’t look my best after any procedure.

Bestie  wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks both! I very much doubt I have any native hairs left at the top and would now be a NW5 if I hadn't had my first megasession. Basically, you have both confirmed what I thought. If there is less shockloss, and there is likely to be less because the hairs now are healthy transplanted hairs, then the ugly duckling phase will be not as bad either. This will be my last procedure so I am thinking of how best to manage it with work and other social engagements (weddings 3 months after I will get it done this year).