would oral minoxidil work better than topical minox for beard growth

mmokin

im sure we've all seen those videos of people use minox and microneedling than growing full beards after a full year.

but they are using topical minox which has been shown to be less effective than oral for scalp hair.

would this also be true for if you were attempting to grow a beard?

13 hours ago, mmokin said:

im sure we've all seen those videos of people use minox and microneedling than growing full beards after a full year.

but they are using topical minox which has been shown to be less effective than oral for scalp hair.

would this also be true for if you were attempting to grow a beard?

I'm just trying to get some clarification here bud..   Because u said:

"but they are using topical minox which has been shown to be less effective than oral for scalp hair." 

If this is true, which this is the first time I heard this,  then I'm switching to oral. 

12 minutes ago, Etownone said:

"but they are using topical minox which has been shown to be less effective than oral for scalp hair." 

If this is true, which this is the first time I heard this,  then I'm switching to oral. 

Oral minoxidil will be more effective overall, yes. It's not necessarily a catch all truth for everyone, but the problem with topical for many people is that they genetically lack the necessary sulfotranferase enzyme in the scalp that is needed to convert minoxidil into minoxidil sulfate; the drugs active form that actually aids hair growth. 

With oral minoxidil, the liver processes things instead and largely bypasses this issue so it doesn't really matter if someone lacks the enzyme on the scalp very much. If you happen to be someone who has said enzyme in abundance, then topical will work just fine and there's less of a need to use oral/it won't be drastically more effective to begin with. But many people see little success with topical for the above reason. 

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Etownone said:

minoxidil needs to be turned into minoxidil sulfotransferase to do anything since its a prodrug, the skin can do this to a varying degree but if taken orally it is converted into the sulfate form in the liver.

im pretty sure this is why its more effective than topical but was looking for a study to confirm this

4 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Oral minoxidil will be more effective overall, yes. It's not necessarily a catch all truth for everyone, but the problem with topical for many people is that they genetically lack the necessary sulfotranferase enzyme in the scalp that is needed to convert minoxidil into minoxidil sulfate; the drugs active form that actually aids hair growth. 

With oral minoxidil, the liver processes things instead and largely bypasses this issue so it doesn't really matter if someone lacks the enzyme on the scalp very much. If you happen to be someone who has said enzyme in abundance, then topical will work just fine and there's less of a need to use oral/it won't be drastically more effective to begin with. But many people see little success with oral for the above reason. 

you mean less success with topical in the last sentence?