Optimal diameter size (.9mm .75 or smaller?)

Alexbcn

Hi all,

Could you please share some advise on the below text from a Clinic with who I have an appointment next week? Is this a state of the art diamter size.. I have read online that other clinics are using smaller ones.

Thanks!

They have sharp edges and a cylindrical range with a diameter from 0.75 to 0.90mm. One or another is used according to the diameter of the hair of each patient.
After being cut off with a “punch”, the follicular units are extracted from the scalp with extremely delicate special forceps.

• Moderators

That seems to be the punch size range being used these days. I personally feel that .75 to .8 is too small, but if they do a few test punches and adjust to a larger size if needed as they seem to indicate then that sounds fine.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Punch size of 0.7 is a good size.  You may have some transections (damaged follicles) which is normal.  The doctor should take additional grafts to make up for the few transections.  You should be fine.  You will see no noticeable scarring down the road with a 0.7 or 0.8 punch size.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

20 minutes ago, JohnCasper said:

Punch size of 0.7 is a good size.  You may have some transections (damaged follicles) which is normal.  The doctor should take additional grafts to make up for the few transections.  You should be fine.  You will see no noticeable scarring down the road with a 0.7 or 0.8 punch size.

What size punch would you recommend for very thick donor hair? For my 1st HT my doctor told me my donor hair was the thickest he had ever worked on. (I don't recall what size punch was used). 

For my next HT, I want to make sure that whatever clinic I go to is well quipped to handle thick hair. 

Thanks. 

• Administrators

Punches need to be tailored to the hair shaft diameter. If you have thick hair, 0.7 will transect every hair. For multis, 0.9-0.95 is probably best. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:24 PM, Alexbcn said:

Hi all,

Could you please share some advise on the below text from a Clinic with who I have an appointment next week? Is this a state of the art diamter size.. I have read online that other clinics are using smaller ones.

Thanks!

They have sharp edges and a cylindrical range with a diameter from 0.75 to 0.90mm. One or another is used according to the diameter of the hair of each patient.
After being cut off with a “punch”, the follicular units are extracted from the scalp with extremely delicate special forceps.

This is quite a normal range for punch sizes, which clinic gave you this information? Maybe others may go slightly lower but it wouldn’t be much. 

• Like 1