• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Singhji said:

Sadly no, I have been in dilemma about taking finasteride, as during assessment I got to know that around age 40 Hair fall stabilizes and finasteride might not be that effective. Would you suggest I take it anyway?

I would definitely recommend taking it. It will put you in a much stronger position. If you are afraid of side effects you can micro dose like I did or just stop taking it all together. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Singhji said:

Sadly no, I have been in dilemma about taking finasteride, as during assessment I got to know that around age 40 Hair fall stabilizes and finasteride might not be that effective. Would you suggest I take it anyway?

Just to answer this from my own understanding. Hair loss slows, maybe stabilises depending on genetics but it's generally progressive by nature. 

Taking Finasteride or similar DHT suppression basically allows the hair to be thicker for longer. The donor area for example thins too with time because although the hair is more resistant to DHT its not completely 100% immune. So even using DHT blocking medication like Finasteride will help thicken the hair up. 

This is completely anecdotal but the thickest feeling hair on my head is at the back around where the donor sits. Even with using Dutasteride for coming towards 10+ months, i know its going to keep working for many more years. There's a Japanese study done over like 10 years and if you Google it, you might be impressed at the results and why it might be a good idea to pop that pill 1x a day and just get on with your life. 

Unlike topical applications which people find harder to adhere to, i've almost consistently maintained a daily dose of Dutasteride. Maybe a missed day here or there but the half life is so strong that it ultimately won't hurt me. 

8 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Just to answer this from my own understanding. Hair loss slows, maybe stabilises depending on genetics but it's generally progressive by nature. 

Taking Finasteride or similar DHT suppression basically allows the hair to be thicker for longer. The donor area for example thins too with time because although the hair is more resistant to DHT its not completely 100% immune. So even using DHT blocking medication like Finasteride will help thicken the hair up. 

This is completely anecdotal but the thickest feeling hair on my head is at the back around where the donor sits. Even with using Dutasteride for coming towards 10+ months, i know its going to keep working for many more years. There's a Japanese study done over like 10 years and if you Google it, you might be impressed at the results and why it might be a good idea to pop that pill 1x a day and just get on with your life. 

Unlike topical applications which people find harder to adhere to, i've almost consistently maintained a daily dose of Dutasteride. Maybe a missed day here or there but the half life is so strong that it ultimately won't hurt me. 

These are great points to consider. Is there any specific brand of finasteride/dutasteride you would suggest? Will have to check if it would be available in India. Or somewhere online

11 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I would definitely recommend taking it. It will put you in a much stronger position. If you are afraid of side effects you can micro dose like I did or just stop taking it all together. 

Great! Will start taking it and see how it goes. What's a mini or micro dosage according to you? Also, what specific brand do you think worked for you?

12 hours ago, NARMAK said:

I do think they are able to travel around as and when required. My procedure is due to be done in New Delhi. Gurgaon i believe its called where they're located. 

I think they have 3 locations but Dr Das does seem to go between as do the others depending on the cases. 

Fingers crossed though for the Visa. I was actually originally due to go in March, but i didn't think the Visa would come through in time. For reference, i applied February 4th officially because it seemed i had to provide additional documents. 

If everything goes as planned and i can get the procedure in May, i will 100% detail everything i can in a dedicated thread. 

Yes Gurgaon is their biggest facility I believe. It's great that you spoke with her and she will be doing the surgery. You are in good hands! 

Looking forward to following you journey here! :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Singhji said:

These are great points to consider. Is there any specific brand of finasteride/dutasteride you would suggest? Will have to check if it would be available in India. Or somewhere online

I am personally in the UK but use a generic Dutasteride i get from an online pharmacy. 

In India i do think there's a Finasteride brand sold and used very commonly but can't be sure how you get it. It's called Finax or something. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

I am personally in the UK but use a generic Dutasteride i get from an online pharmacy. 

In India i do think there's a Finasteride brand sold and used very commonly but can't be sure how you get it. It's called Finax or something. 

I hear you.. yes, finax is available besides few other brands. Thank you!

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Singhji said:

Great! Will start taking it and see how it goes. What's a mini or micro dosage according to you? Also, what specific brand do you think worked for you?

I started taking finasteride (generic brand) at 0.5mg on Mon, Wed and Friday. After a month I increased Monday to 1mg and waited for two months. No side effects so I then increased Wednesday to 1mg and stayed on this for two months no side effects. I then increased Friday to 1mg and ever since I have not had any side effects. On 1mg everyday my libido dropped so I stopped the drop and began the drug again as I have described. All the best!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I started taking finasteride (generic brand) at 0.5mg on Mon, Wed and Friday. After a month I increased Monday to 1mg and waited for two months. No side effects so I then increased Wednesday to 1mg and stayed on this for two months no side effects. I then increased Friday to 1mg and ever since I have not had any side effects. On 1mg everyday my libido dropped so I stopped the drop and began the drug again as I have described. All the best!

Smartest way to do it. Allows you to measure the changes and adjust the dosage accordingly. As much as we want to block maximum DHT, the side affects need to be properly mitigated and not affect our quality of life. 

Edited by NARMAK
Spelling
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Meticulously planned and executed! :)

Thank you so much! 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Smartest way to do it. Allows you to measure the changes and adjust the dosage accordingly. As much as we want to block maximum DHT, the side affects need to be properly mitigated and not affect our quality of life. 

Very well said!

• Like 1