Do certain foods cause hair loss?

Hi

I've been checking this website for a while 

I am considering doing a HT next year, for now I have taken Finasteride for a year and it has stabilized my loss, I am somewhere between a norwood 2 and 3

My question is something that I see rarely discussed, does anyone know if are there certain foods that cause hair loss?

I'm not asking in the case of malnutrition, imagine someone that eats enough protein, carbs and fats

Are there foods to avoid having regularly because of hair health? 

What about after a transplant, do you guys eat differently then?

Thank You

Nope - there's no evidence to support there's any correlation with food and MPB. Can a healthier diet and certain vitamins improve the overall health of your hair? Sure. But as far as anything causing or preventing MPB, nope. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

7 minutes ago, Rob Strkr said:

Hi

I've been checking this website for a while 

I am considering doing a HT next year, for now I have taken Finasteride for a year and it has stabilized my loss, I am somewhere between a norwood 2 and 3

My question is something that I see rarely discussed, does anyone know if are there certain foods that cause hair loss?

I'm not asking in the case of malnutrition, imagine someone that eats enough protein, carbs and fats

Are there foods to avoid having regularly because of hair health? 

What about after a transplant, do you guys eat differently then?

Thank You

Generally, I would think that the answer is a resounding no. As long as you're not deficient in some sort of vital nutrient, I don't think it's going to matter what you eat.

Saying that, I had surgery last week and Dr. Pinto asked me if I take any supplements of absolutely any kind, so I said no, only protein powder, thinking nothing of it as, well, it's just protein. He went on to say that he and some of his colleagues have seen/done some research or something that indicates there is a slight possibility that a gross excess consumption of protein powder specifically may hinder graft growth/survival.

He made it clear that it's nothing to do with the protein itself, but rather they think that some of the additives that are added into most protein powders (he named some, but I can't remember, and he said he didn't know for sure anyways) are the culprit. I was advised not to consume more than 5 or 6 scoops per day, which would be a bit of an insane amount of protein powder to consume in the first place, but he just pointed that out.

Edited by JDEE0
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Generally, I would think that the answer is a resounding no. As long as you're not deficient in some sort of vital nutrient, I don't think it's going to matter what you eat.

Saying that, I had surgery last week and Dr. Pinto asked me if I take any supplements of absolutely any kind, so I said no, only protein powder, thinking nothing of it as, well, it's just protein. He went on to say that he and some of his colleagues have seen/done some research or something that indicates there is a slight possibility that a gross excess consumption of protein powder specifically may hinder graft growth/survival.

He made it clear that it's nothing to do with the protein itself, but rather they think that some of the additives that are added into most protein powders (he named some, but I can't remember, and he said he didn't know for sure anyways) are the culprit. I was advised not to consume more than 5 or 6 scoops per day, which would be a bit of an insane amount of protein powder to consume in the first place, but he just pointed that out.

You would think protein would enhance cell growth (including hair transplants), due to its metabolic chemistry. Can you ask Dr. Pinto where we can find the research he's talking about?

6 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

You would think protein would enhance cell growth (including hair transplants), due to its metabolic chemistry. Can you ask Dr. Pinto where we can find the research he's talking about?

Like I said, he made it clear it was nothing to do with the protein - you can eat 300 grams of it a day if you want to, doesn't matter, he said it must be something that is commonly added to protein supplements (powders) that he suspects could cause issues and just told me not to consume more than like 5 scoops a day, not that most people ever would in the first place.

I can try and find out.

10 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Like I said, he made it clear it was nothing to do with the protein - you can eat 300 grams of it a day if you want to, doesn't matter, he said it must be something that is commonly added to protein supplements (powders) that he suspects could cause issues and just told me not to consume more than like 5 scoops a day, not that most people ever would in the first place.

I can try and find out.

yea more than 5 scoops of any supplement a day is going to cause all types of problems lol

5 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

My guess is that he mentioned creatine?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

8 hours ago, Rob Strkr said:

That's interesting I take protein powder as well but yeah 5-6 scoops a day seems like quite a stretch

What about sugars? 

Does eating some dessert everyday affect hair? you know what they say about sugar and inflammation, or is it nonsense?

It's nonsense. Food isn't going to affect your hair, it's androgenic activity that causes MPB. 

4 hours ago, gillenator said:

My guess is that he mentioned creatine?

I would've remembered if he said creatine I imagine, seeing as I'm very well aware of it, so I'm not sure. I'll ask him when I send some photos over to him next.

Please share that info with us.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Not much in terms of bad foods that cause hair loss. It's more about bad foods and lifestyle that contributes to hair loss. 

Finasteride is at the top of list for halting MPB. But as far as diet goes, try to reduce your sugar intake and incorporate as many superfoods into your daily diet (lean meats, wild caught fish, leafy greens, fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.). Beyond that, high intensity exercise, intermittent fasting, and hot/cold therapies all help to bring the body in balance, which also helps the hair quite a bit over a lifetime.

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal! 

1 hour ago, SadMan2021 said:

Yes all sorts of foods can cause hairloss. 

which ones?

Gillenator

No. Case in point my brother eats junk all day, no vitamins, excercise or healthy food, yet shows 0 hairloss in spite of being 2 years older.

Me eats healthy, very little junk and involved in sports my entire life, but balding like a mofo.

It's all genetics, food doesn't matter

• Like 1