Hair transplant or other methods? Help please.

Hi all, I need some advice.I'm 27, male, mixed race and based in the UK. I've been thinking about a hair transplant constantly recently, as my hairline has been thinning and receding for years and it's something that I think about (and have to conceal) every day.  I'm unsure as to whether I should get a hair transplant asap or whether I should try and see how medical therapy / other hair restoration methods could help me instead. I started taking Finasteride a week ago.

I've taken a close-up pic (this is the most thin and receding part of my hairline) so you guys can see the extent of hair loss. I noticed from the pic that the hairs aren't completely gone, they're just tiny and very thin. The red line represents where my hairline once was 😪, it was never perfectly straight but it sat around there.

Should I try and get a transplant asap? Do you think Finasteride could realistically restore my hair density / hairline? Or should I try other methods? Would be good to get some informed opinions please.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mixed93

The pic isn’t showing at the moment ? But what I will say is give the fin a chance to work, so 12 months at least. Don’t do anything “asap” you need to approach this carefully and have a long term plan in place. Here in the Uk we are not exactly over flowing with the worlds best Drs to be honest. If you look further afield in Europe your going to have much better options. 
Consider Dr Bisanga, Dr Mwamba, Dr Lapunzula and Dr Feriduni for example. It’s really worth the travel to get the best chance of a good result. 

Your post brings up two things to consider.  Yes, Propecia/Fin is, perhaps, the best med out there for hair retention, (but tends to be far more effective towards the back of the head, not so much the front). So, while I do applaud you for getting started on some type of medical regimen, I doubt if you'll see any visual difference a year from now.  (The medications are not intended for you to regrow anything.  They are intended for you not to lose any more.  Thus, if you look the same a year from now, the med did what it was intended to do).  Take photos and keep a record.

The concept of regionality comes to mind.  Most patients seek out clinics closest to them.  If you are open to travel, your chances of finding an ethical doctor/clinic greatly go up.  

You'll typically hear us say, "do the research." This not only means asking questions and looking at photos of results. Ask about credentials.  Where did the doctor learn to do hair transplants? There are a handful of places that offer fellowships in hair.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Thanks for the pic. No I will reiterate don’t do anything “asap” take your time in seeking a Dr/Clinic that’s right for your needs. If you retain your current hair on fin then great. Minox can help also. You should reevaluate your situation after a year of a good med regime (Fin/Minox) and put in the research in the meantime. You will get a much better idea of who is doing good work and who will be right for you, should you go ahead with a hair transplant. 

@JC71 yeah, probably phrased that wrong tbh, I'm definitely not going to rush into anything despite the urge to get this sorted. Not sure if the pic is showing now, but I'm really just trying to figure out whether a transplant is the only way forward, or whether it's possible for me to turn the tiny hairs back into fully grown ones somehow - whether it's with fin or other methods.

@LaserCaps thanks, yeah even if fin prevents things from getting worse, that's a win in itself. Do you think a hair transplant would be the only way for me to regrow my hair though? My hairline used to be pretty dense and I could wear my hair up before. I'm wondering mainly because I can still see some hairs, but they've shrunk so much that it appears bald. I'm not sure if the hairs are 'dead' or if they could somehow turn back into mature ones.

Just now, Mixed93 said:

@JC71 yeah, probably phrased that wrong tbh, I'm definitely not going to rush into anything despite the urge to get this sorted. Not sure if the pic is showing now, but I'm really just trying to figure out whether a transplant is the only way forward, or whether it's possible for me to turn the tiny hairs back into fully grown ones somehow - whether it's with fin or other methods.

@LaserCaps thanks, yeah even if fin prevents things from getting worse, that's a win in itself. Do you think a hair transplant would be the only way for me to regrow my hair though? My hairline used to be pretty dense and I could wear my hair up before. I'm wondering mainly because I can still see some hairs, but they've shrunk so much that it appears bald. I'm not sure if the hairs are 'dead' or if they could somehow turn back into mature ones.

Fin and Minox will help, but your going to need to give them time, at best you will retain and maybe enhance the hairs you do have. 

To be blunt it’s not going to get back any lost hairs or massively Improve the miniaturised ones we can see. Only a hair transplant would eventually do that, and obviously still not the density it once was. Someone like Dr Freitas for example is doing some of the best hairline work I have ever seen. Bearing in mind he will be booked up for at least a year+ usually, then it’s wise to plan ahead. Most decent clinics/Drs will be booked up well In advance. And a lot will ask your already on fin for 6-12 months at least. 

Just now, Mixed93 said:

@JC71 thanks, will have a look into that doctor.

Just curious, why wouldn't a hair transplant be able to restore the density of what my hair once was?

Average natural density is around 100-125 per Cm2… even a high density (dense packing) transplant isn’t going to come close. Anything from say 40-60 is likely for most of us. We only have so much donor hair (say 6-8k grafts) and we need to plan wisely so we have some in reserve for future needs. 

2 hours ago, JC71 said:

To be blunt it’s not going to get back any lost hairs or massively Improve the miniaturised ones we can see. Only a hair transplant would eventually do that, and obviously still not the density it once was. Someone like Dr Freitas for example is doing some of the best hairline work I have ever seen. Bearing in mind he will be booked up for at least a year+ usually, then it’s wise to plan ahead. Most decent clinics/Drs will be booked up well In advance. And a lot will ask your already on fin for 6-12 months at least. 

Some people are hyper responders and recover a ton one they get on fin and minox.

Not to give false hope, but I don’t think saying “he won’t get it back” is necessarily accurate, it is simply probable.

Check out my journey here:

Which is Why I said the hairs which are “gone” are not coming back. And then went on to say miniaturised ones “can” improve. Nothing will regrow hairs which are long gone. And the hyper responders are the exception and not the rule. This is why it’s always recommended to wait at least a year and reassess.. most people at best will retain and maybe get some improvement. That is the reality, I’m definitely not one to give false hope, but if OP responds well then of course it’s a bonus. 

Edited by JC71

• Administrators

I can only think on a handful of people who've gotten excellent results with fin and min alone. The vast majority see no regrowth and only retain their hair. That said, medication should always be the first line of defense regardless.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I can only think on a handful of people who've gotten excellent results with fin and min alone. The vast majority see no regrowth and only retain their hair. That said, medication should always be the first line of defense regardless.

Thanks for answering my Q. Will keep taking the meds whilst trying to find a good doctor for the transplant!