Gel Causes Hair to Be Too Dark

Hi all,

I got a hair transplant 3 years ago. My native hair is tame and straight, but the transplant hair is relatively wild and curly. Using hair gel solves this problem, so I've learned to just live with this. However , gel causes my hair to look darker than my native hair. So it looks kind of off to have all this dark hair in the hairline/recipient hair, followed by non-dark native hair in the midscalp and crown. It's mostly noticeable in well-lit areas. 

My question is I'm wondering if there is any type of gel or hair product that can control and hold my hair, that does not make it look darker? Or any methods that will counteract this side effect?

Thanks. 

Edited by SadMan2021

I recommend that you discuss this issue with some hair salons that would undoubtedly know which are the best products and alternatives to use.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I would recommend just experiment with different hair products and see what works.

I had no clue the differences between a Paste, Cream, Wax, Clay, Pomade. Then there's different sheen's for each product plus the hold factor too.

I watched some YouTube videos to educate myself before buying the products.

My hair is fine and I still get a lot of fly aways.

I ended up going with Nioxin Thickening Spray pre-Styler before blow drying. Then after using American Crew Matte Clay as my styling product.

Just try some different products and have fun with it and see what works for you.

16362404434716716594370385312964.jpg

YouTube may be helpful, but stylists have some of the best and extensive knowledge on many products.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I agree that a salon is going to be your best bet. They usually have samples of different products open as well, so you could try different things out.

A couple of my favorite higher end brands you could use though as a starting point are Kevin Murphy and Rene Furterer. Kevin Murphy in particular has a lot of great products that are mostly pastes, and I'm sure one of them would give you the look you're going for without the hair looking wet (and therefore, darker). 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56