How Do Surgeons Choose Grafts to Replicate Natural Curly Hair Direction?

• Valued Contributor

I was chatting with a friend of mine last night who is a hair transplant tech. We were discussing curly hair candidates (such as myself) and she has worked for many well known surgeons here in Australia. What came out of this conversation was interesting to me. How do/will surgeons know which grafts to choose when planting grafts in the recipient area for a completely natural look? In her experience many cases end up turning out like 'fuzz' (her words not mine and this may in fact be indicative of surgeons here however). So with a shaved head such as mine grown out at only an inch, outside of photos, how do surgeons know which grafts to choose to achieve the natural direction of the curl?

• Administrators

I think it's a similar issue with afro textured hair. It's a very good question. I think this is a perfect question to ask Dr. Sethi, maybe he will make a video on it as well. There are quite a bit of Indians who have very thick, curly hair, similar to your hair. So I would imagine he will be able to answer this question. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

@Gatsby I don't think you need to worry to much about this. I have been thinking that you are probably a perfect candidate for using beard hair. Most men worry if the beard hair will be too curly or kinky and won't match the rest of their hair, but you have naturally curly hair, so I'm thinking you won't have any issue with it being curly. In fact you should want that, so it matches your sides and back. Also I'm betting that when you had hair on the top and front, it was naturally more curly then the hair on your sides and back because that's usually the case with curly hair guys. So again, if it turns out a bit more curly than your current native hair on the sides and back I'm thinking you will be just fine with it. If it is a but too frizzy (fuzz as your friend said) then that is easily solved with a little bit of hair gel.

From the picture I saw of you before it looks like you still have a lot of hair on the sides and back, so I think you are on line to have a home run result if it's done right. Good luck!

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.