Minimally invasive transplant without prophylactic antibiotics

Hi All,

I am age 53 and basically looking to get my hairline lowered by about half an inch at the middle of my forehead and maybe as much as a full inch at my temples.

I have been doing some research on the current state of the art for hair transplants in 2021.

Due to an existing medical condition, it would be inadvisable for me to undergo any kind of elective surgery where prophylactic antibiotics are required, as they could worsen my health condition.

Therefore, I am looking for a surgeon who uses a minimally invasive surgery with sterile technique, and probably not too many grafts in a single procedure. I am attracted to Bernstein in NYC for that reason (his website and one of his online postings state that prophylactic antibiotics are generally not necessary and he has a good overall reputation) but would prefer to find someone with similar capabilities in Southern California closer to where I live.

Any suggestions on how to go about finding this most efficiently?

I would be a lot more comfortable going to a clinic where antibiotics are generally not prescribed to any patients because the surgeon is confident they are unnecessary given the techniques used, rather than a clinic that routinely prescribes antibiotics but would make a rare exception.

• Administrators

I would definitely consult with Bernstein, I’ll tag @pkipling who works with Dr. Mohebi in LA. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Antibiotics are usually given as a one time dose in the pre-op area. Very rarely do surgeons prescribe antibiotics for the post-op period unless they run into unusual circumstances or you have an FUT procedure with a large incision. Even so I don't believe surgeons would routinely prescribe antibiotics in the post-op period with an FUT but I could be wrong as all my procedures were FUE.  As far as minimally invasive you would be opting for FUE over FUT if this is your preference. Sterility is a mute point as all surgical procedures should be conducted with proper sterile technique. If a surgeon doesn't use sterile technique then their infection rate would be higher than the average and they would be a clinic to avoid at all costs. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

If you'd like to talk about the possibility of scheduling a consultation with Dr. Mohebi, shoot me a message on here and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. I'd be more than happy to assist you with this in any way I can, no matter where you end up going. I'm glad you found this forum, as it will really serve you in making sure you end up with the right surgeon for you, whoever that may be. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56