Any clinics using verteporfin? Promoting healing without scar tissue, including neogenesis of hair follicles

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2021/04/drug-enables-healing-without-scarring.html

Currently available for of label use. 

Stanford filed patents earlier this year on using Verteporfin for wound healing and hair follicle neogenesis: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2021021607

This sounds like it can results in infinite donor hair, and scar free repairs 

• Moderators

It's only been tested on mice. It's a long way off from being a human useable product, if it even ever gets there.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

True, that while it has only been formally tested in mice, looks to be if you read below excerpt from the NY Times that they tried it on a pig and has success; pig skin is closest to humans. More formal study in pigs is next.

Since it is already an FDA approved drug with an excellent safety profile, it could be available sooner that we think.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised is someone tries it out off label which is legal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/22/health/surgery-scar.html

The study involved mice, but the researchers, Dr. Michael Longaker, Stanford’s vice chair of surgery, and Geoffrey Gurtner, Stanford’s vice president of surgery for innovation, have now moved on to pigs, whose skin is closest to that of humans. With these new subjects, the surgeons made an incision as wide as a thumb and five inches long. When they sutured the cut and injected verteporfin around the edge, there was dramatically less scarring.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SLA said:

The study involved mice, but the researchers, Dr. Michael Longaker, Stanford’s vice chair of surgery, and Geoffrey Gurtner, Stanford’s vice president of surgery for innovation, have now moved on to pigs, whose skin is closest to that of humans. With these new subjects, the surgeons made an incision as wide as a thumb and five inches long. When they sutured the cut and injected verteporfin around the edge, there was dramatically less scarring.

Sounds good. There was something similar (Or perhaps it was the same one) mentioned a while ago and I remember I commented that it could make FUT come back in favor again because it can basically eliminate the scar and regrow hair in the scar. Now that I'm thinking about it more, I wonder if you could regrow hair in FUE scars, so you'd actually end up with a limitless amount of grafts that can be done.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.