How long did you stay near the clinic post op?

Hello there,

Long time lurker here and I finally decided to get a HT. After a bunch of research and consultation, I decided to go to Eugenix. (I'll start a different thread on my experience closer to the operation date). Now we're trying to figure out how long we should stay in India post op and wanted to see what y'all did, especially those who traveled far for your HT.

My partner and I are both getting hair transplants. We are flying from the Netherlands to India in late December / early January. (@Melvin- Moderator I think we might see each other over there).

• Eugenix said that we can leave 2 days post op but I've seen posts here of people staying up to 7 days post op. How much of a difference might it make if we opt to stay in India until our first washing (7 days post op)? We might also be fine going home early since my partner and I can wash each other's scalps.
  • How much can you actually do in the first week post-op? I'm assuming that we'll probably be staying mostly in the hotel and going to Eugenix when needed. Would we be able to go around New Delhi a little bit or is that not recommended because the pollution might damage the new grafts?

Thank you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, raik783 said:

Hello there,

Long time lurker here and I finally decided to get a HT. After a bunch of research and consultation, I decided to go to Eugenix. (I'll start a different thread on my experience closer to the operation date). Now we're trying to figure out how long we should stay in India post op and wanted to see what y'all did, especially those who traveled far for your HT.

My partner and I are both getting hair transplants. We are flying from the Netherlands to India in late December / early January. (@Melvin- Moderator I think we might see each other over there).

• Eugenix said that we can leave 2 days post op but I've seen posts here of people staying up to 7 days post op. How much of a difference might it make if we opt to stay in India until our first washing (7 days post op)? We might also be fine going home early since my partner and I can wash each other's scalps.
  • How much can you actually do in the first week post-op? I'm assuming that we'll probably be staying mostly in the hotel and going to Eugenix when needed. Would we be able to go around New Delhi a little bit or is that not recommended because the pollution might damage the new grafts?

Thank you!

I dont think you want to do anything for the first week, I prefer going home as fast as possible. I stayed two days aswell after my transplant, after I wished I left the day after the procedure because you cannot be in the sun/you are swollen and fun looking.

• Thanks 1

I just had a 3500 graft HT at Eugenix. Came from Canada. My original schedule was 2 days of surgery (Monday and Tuesday) and then fly out Thursday morning. About 2 weeks out from surgery, British Airways cancelled my outbound flight on the Thursday and so I had to re-schedule it to leaving on Friday morning. I am grateful that I did because all both flying into India and leaving it, we were required to wear plastic face shields on top of our mandatory masks. That meant stretching the band that holds the shield round the back of the head and against the donor area. That extra day of healing in India was beneficial with that process since my donor area was in better shape to handle putting a plastic face shield on and off (FYI, when the plane took off from Delhi, the majority of people quickly took off the face shield and did not wear it again, as did I. There was no protest from the flight crew so obviously the mandate to wear the shield was one by India and not British Airways).

I don't know if the face shield policy is being applied to all international travelers coming in and out of India - that was my experience. My point is that one extra day of healing in those early days of post-op was helpful. Washing the hair 7 days out is something you can do on your own - you don't need the clinic to do it for you. But I personally recommend that you stay at least 3 days post-op for additional healing and rest time if you are flying longer distances to India. Feel free to DM me if you have questions about hair wash care post-op.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @digi23 and @kirkland. This is very helpful.

I was originally planning to stay +7 days post op so that Eugenix can do the head wash for me. After hearing from both of you, I decided to book my flight back 3 days post-op, just in time to celebrate New Years at home (although just staying at home and hiding from people). You both are right, I will probably be a lot more comfortable at home rather than a hotel. Really hoping no face shields on the flight home though!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, raik783 said:

Thank you @digi23 and @kirkland. This is very helpful.

I was originally planning to stay +7 days post op so that Eugenix can do the head wash for me. After hearing from both of you, I decided to book my flight back 3 days post-op, just in time to celebrate New Years at home (although just staying at home and hiding from people). You both are right, I will probably be a lot more comfortable at home rather than a hotel. Really hoping no face shields on the flight home though!

It is just MY preference, I am rather home in my bed than in some shitty hotel bed by myself in a foreign country and you do not want to leave the room for about 48-72 hours.

Edited by digi23