Saw Palmetto vs Finasteride

Kuriko

Hello Community, 

I just had FUE surgery and had been using Saw Palmetto for roughly a year. I have around 5-6 months of supply. 

I was wondering if finasteride is the better option? Also, if I switch to it after 5-6 months, will I lose hair in the process of the switch. 

(I had used finasteride for 2 months in the past with no adverse results)

Thanks for the response in advance. 

My first question, what did you experience with Saw Palmetto? If your results were "terrific," I would stick to it. If not, make the switch and give the med 1 year to see what you experience.  It typically takes this long to confirm if there will be enhancement of the native hair. And, if you get off of it, you'll lose what you would have lost had you not been on the medication.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Its hard to say as I had a DHI surgery last year and had been using it ever since then. When I used finasteride for a while, I did see results but unfortunately it was not long enough. However, I am not sure about Saw Palmetto. 

I was wondering if Finasteride was more clinically proven and others had better results. 

Also, this is a second question. Are there any differences between oral and tropical minodxil. 

Depends where you are, but any online pharmacy usually. Generic fin is available so prices will be cheap everywhere, just search google.

Oral min is more effective, has more risk for potential sides though so do your research. 

• Thanks 1

Try Costco online.  About $24 for a 3 month supply and a bit less if you're a member.  These are 1mg tabs

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

For me Saw Palmetto didn't work, Fin did. 

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 2 weeks later...