Is it normal for existing hair to shed along with graft hair?

I had a procedure done on 7/13 in two areas on the top of my scalp.  The grafts shed about two weeks after the surgery, which I expected, but I'm also noticing that my existing hair seems to be almost half as thin as it was before the procedure.   Is it normal to shed regular hair along with the grafts, and if so, does it eventually grow back??

Yea its called shock loss and its due to the general trauma caused by the hair transplant. Its common and almost always temporary coming back within months. You can do a phrase search on the forum for 'shock loss' and find guys talking about their experiences and educational topics like this one.

• Like 1

Well said!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

This is one of the places that better clinics separate themselves from others. Bisanga talked about being smart with anesthesia. Most places use epinephrine in the injections to prevent the lidocaine from being filtered away... it keeps it locally longer, improving numbing longevity. But epinephrine can cause miniaturized hair to fall out, which is why shock loss usually occurs around the ears, where hair is finer. So clinics that use a lot of anesthesia, or just don't have expertise to use it efficiently, can produce lots of shock loss.

• Like 1

The native hair that has little to none being diffused usually grows back.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY