Grafts Falling After 5 months?

I am at the 5 month mark of my FUE hair transplant. About 2-3 times a week for the past month I kept on feeling hard clumps in my scalp that came off when combing. They always had the appearance of a multi graft. Are these failed grafts? Or is this normal shedding? Or am I washing my hair wrong? Some input would be greatly appreciated

The pic below is an example of what I experience.

1256CDFE-7294-44A3-88BC-3EC7E0ADC0A3.jpeg

Edited by Hairdds
  • Like 2

• Hairdds changed the title to Grafts Falling After 5 months?

That looks like a crust to me, and after 5 months post-op, you really should not have these anymore...so if you still feel these in the recipient area, simply rub them off with shampoo suds and make sure the recipient area is clean and free from all crusting.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you for your feedback. I may be washing too gently. I do remember vigorously washing at the ten day mark to remove scabs but this could be a crust or possibly just residue from shampoo that is dried up and sticking to hairs. I just hope that this doesn’t mean that the hair won’t regrow! Only time will tell I guess… 

While this isn't something I see happen frequently, I still don't think it's indicative of a lost graft this late in the game. Have you reached out to your surgeon to get his input? In the meantime, I would reevaluate how you've been washing/caring for your scalp over the past few months. It seems like you may be being extremely cautious and careful when washing your hair, and therefore, perhaps creating an environment for lots of scalp buildup and residue, which could lead to this sort of crusty matter. 

You're right in that "only time will tell", but I do find the chances of this being a dislodged graft at 5 months to be the most unlikely of all scenarios. And I think a followup with your doctor would be the best way to go regardless so that he's kept in the loop. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

It shouldnt be happening 5 months late. This may need your doctors input. I am 5 months post transplant and I still use a soft brush to comb the recipient area else I get little irritation. Something like below may help  if you don't mind the color. I would say avoid scrubbing comb against the scalp at recipient for a couple more months.

Wet Brush Speed Dry Hair Brush - Pink : Target

You're fine. The grafts that were going to survive connected into their blood supplies securely within 10 days. You'd need a head injury or another surgery to get them back out and destroy them after that. You're shampooing too gently and maybe not frequently enough. Give yourself a few shampoo sessions where you leave it in for about 5 minutes to help soften and loosen any more remaining dead skin/hairs, and then follow with a fairly vigorous rubbing on your scalp before rinsing out the shampoo.