Female FUT, same surgeon or new?

Hello everyone. 

I need you help, please. 

I will start by saying that I a female from Europe, of African descent with fine curly hair.

After couple of years of searching I decided on the surgery and chose a Dr. from the U. I had my surgery 2+ years.

The surgeon recommended FUT due to the large area that has to be filled. As the months went by I started noticing the scar in the donor area has stretched. And there is a lot of spacing in the middle section of the recipient area. This has taken a toll on me emotionally. It is hard to do anything with my hair because the partly empty areas are VERY visible and the scar is bothering me a lot.

I did contact my former doctor and tried to explain how much I am affected by the results. He offered another surgery costing 5-9K USD and "the scar revision is for free". Then he added "or you could just leave it like that no one will see it". I was surprised since I already explained that the scar was bothering me! This sentence combined with small things that happened after the surgery made me feel like a money machine and not a human being.

When I asked if there is a possibility the same would happen the second time he dismissed my concern and just said we can use more grafts and it will cost XYZ. 

I am very unsure of what to do or where to go.  Due to restrictions I was not able to travel to the US and when I decided on India things got bad there. 

To be fair to his work, the line he made is BEAUTIFUL in my eyes. But I am very sceptical to his ethics and I do not feel like I am getting straight answers or a clear/realistic view of the results to be expected. I am afraid of spending even more money and then ending up with the same results again. I already spent 18,5K on the surgery+trip from Europe. 

I want advice on what do next.  Can you please recommend doctors in Turkey/Europe to consult? Or do you think it's a good idea to go and try find a solution with him?

PS: I apologize for my bad grammar :S 

I added one photo from the side, but the other main scar is MUCH larger than that one. 

Thank you SOO much in advance.

Screenshot_20210806-192843_WhatsApp.jpg

Hi @London2024 - so you're just looking for a scar revision and not another HT? Or are you looking to have another procedure?

If so, I would recommend Dr. Bisanga in Belgium - he's probably the best with afro hair and is one of the best in the world in general. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JDEE0 said:

Hi @London2024 - so you're just looking for a scar revision and not another HT? Or are you looking to have another procedure?

If so, I would recommend Dr. Bisanga in Belgium - he's probably the best with afro hair and is one of the best in the world in general. 

Both. Thank you for the suggestion. 

London,

The good news is that you have options....first off, yes IMHO I agree that you need to find a new surgeon and you will need to travel....where to?....Belgium!

Now, I could not agree more with John in that Dr. BIsanga or Dr. Patrick Mwamba are good choices for repair....I know them both firsthand as we all used to work together inside the clinic 20 years ago where they received the bulk of their training...they were both techs at the time, so they have come a long way and were mentored by one of the top FUE surgeons in the world.

This leads me to the next issue...you do not want to do FUT anymore whatsoever...IMHO, your case requires FUE and only FUE...you really cannot take a chance of having a secondary scar stretching....and something tells me that a scar revision is not a good idea but I must add that I am not a doctor and only stating my opinion...either doctor will evaluate and assess your strip scar...maybe it is possible to have it revised but they will provide you their professional opinion.

When you stated there is a lot of spacing in the middle of the recipient area, "Is that because you lost some of the grafts? or is it from further loss of native hair?"

You will get straight answers from both doctors in Belgium...I recommend that you initiate your contact with a virtual consultation.

Lastly, I wish you the very best in getting some resolve in your case.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2021 at 1:49 AM, gillenator said:

London,

The good news is that you have options....first off, yes IMHO I agree that you need to find a new surgeon and you will need to travel....where to?....Belgium!

Now, I could not agree more with John in that Dr. BIsanga or Dr. Patrick Mwamba are good choices for repair....I know them both firsthand as we all used to work together inside the clinic 20 years ago where they received the bulk of their training...they were both techs at the time, so they have come a long way and were mentored by one of the top FUE surgeons in the world.

This leads me to the next issue...you do not want to do FUT anymore whatsoever...IMHO, your case requires FUE and only FUE...you really cannot take a chance of having a secondary scar stretching....and something tells me that a scar revision is not a good idea but I must add that I am not a doctor and only stating my opinion...either doctor will evaluate and assess your strip scar...maybe it is possible to have it revised but they will provide you their professional opinion.

When you stated there is a lot of spacing in the middle of the recipient area, "Is that because you lost some of the grafts? or is it from further loss of native hair?"

You will get straight answers from both doctors in Belgium...I recommend that you initiate your contact with a virtual consultation.

Lastly, I wish you the very best in getting some resolve in your case.

Thank you for your reply. And sorry for getting beck to you so late. 

The spacing in the recipient area is not in native hair. I asked the doctor what happened but didn't get a clear answer. He either took less grafts than needed or there was a loss in the grafts! His plan is another FUT. I am in the process of getting appointments with the Drs mentioned above before making a final decision. 

The scar in the back is actually large and because my hair is thin/fine in nature, when I straighten it the stretched area is VERY visible when my hair moves. So I do want a solution for it :S 

So nice to see your reply London…I think both doctors will test your laxity in the occipital (donor) zone where the strip scar is regarding a potential revision and undoubtedly will also consider your physiology related to how your scars heal…if they feel the risks outweigh a good outcome, possibly grafting hair directly into the scar may be a better option…in addition, ask them if they think the composite of the strip scar tissue would receive and hold SMP ink…possibly a combination of FUE and ink into the scar would produce the best result in repair.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Popping in on the thread after your private message . . and I have to admit that I can't add much more to the already great advice you have received. 

The first thought that came to me after reading through your post would be an FUE surgery with Dr Bisanga, where assuming the graft count in your recipient isn't too high, you should be able to get the scar revision and recipient areas treated at once. 

All the best, 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:45 PM, Curious25 said:

Popping in on the thread after your private message . . and I have to admit that I can't add much more to the already great advice you have received. 

The first thought that came to me after reading through your post would be an FUE surgery with Dr Bisanga, where assuming the graft count in your recipient isn't too high, you should be able to get the scar revision and recipient areas treated at once. 

All the best, 

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 10:43 PM, gillenator said:

So nice to see your reply London…I think both doctors will test your laxity in the occipital (donor) zone where the strip scar is regarding a potential revision and undoubtedly will also consider your physiology related to how your scars heal…if they feel the risks outweigh a good outcome, possibly grafting hair directly into the scar may be a better option…in addition, ask them if they think the composite of the strip scar tissue would receive and hold SMP ink…possibly a combination of FUE and ink into the scar would produce the best result in repair.

Your answer makes me hopeful.