Dr Michael Wolfeld (NYC) review

8 hours ago, nyc_wm45 said:

Just remember - it take a while ... I am 7  months post, and still have little stubby hairs underneath the longer hair ... when they say it takes a year to see the full results, they aren't misleading ... even at 6 months it's not nearly the full growth you should be expecting.

Good luck! It'll be great!

NYC, yeah I always hope that’ll it’ll grow faster, lol. But, I know I have to wait for about a year.  Looks like your growth is pretty good, also great to hear that feel some growing underneath the longer hair. 
I’m hoping to have enough donor hair left to work on the middle to crown area next year. The recovery wasn’t that bad, although I did sleep in a chair for two weeks. Lol

Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? 
1: When did you notice your newly transplanted hair falling out for the initial fallout?

2: How long after the procedure until you went back to sleeping normally in a bed(not being propped up)? I’m two weeks in but I get worried that’ll I’ll rub my head against the pillow at night and lose some. 

3: Did you worry about any graphs dislodging after the two week timeframe? 

1. It was a fluid process, and didn't happen suddenly ... old hairs started growing, new hairs falling out, and I essentially didn't notice. I was resigned to the fact that they would fall out.

2. I have a tempur-pedic that lifts, and I used the inflatable neck pillow in addition for like 5 days, after that I slept flat, but with the neck pillow, after 10 days, I went back to sleeping normally.

3. Seems a consensus that after 10 days it's impossible to dislodge them. I actually had fairly bad crusting and itching, but I stayed strong for 10 days, only baby-shampoo and warm water. After 10 days, I started massaging fairly aggressively as I couldn't handle the itching and the crusting anymore. I was _ASSURED_ by the doctor and the internet that after 10 days it was "all clear". 

Good luck

• Like 1

Oh these are great answers and appreciate your feedback. Especially coming from someone who had the same dr I do! 

This really helps, thank you so much! 

I slept in a chair for 10 days and went to my adjustable tempur-pedic on day 11 and propped it up and then kept my neck pillow there bc I was still worried. 🤣🤣

I’m lucky I guess, not much itching. When I feel it I just hit it with that saline spray the dr gave me. I’m going to switch to normal shampoo this week and lightly touch my head. Tomorrow(Tuesday) is 14 days so I figured it’s time. Lol 

Thanks again and thanks for the quick response. Your thread has helped a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 7:08 PM, Barnan12550 said:

Quick question, how does the back of your head(donor area) look these days? 

You won't notice a thing ... I used to use #1 in the back ... now when I get a cut, I get #3 ... you can't notice anything

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Looks great for only 2200 grafts. Getting a high hairline dramatically cuts down the number of grafts needed.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 10:35 PM, Barnan12550 said:

Looks awesome buddy!! Cannot wait for my 10 months and to share! 

do you think you’ll be happy with the outcome or do you think you’ll go back for a 2nd round? Or too early to tell still? 

In principle, I am totally fine with the current result.

1. I don't see my crown when I look at myself :) (it's thin, but not as thin as my front was)

2. From everything I've read, the crown requires a higher ratio of grafts/result.

3. It takes a lot of work to get the crown right - with the direction of the growth...

Also, it was easy to get stuff done during covid ... I had a buzzcut before, and I turned off my camera for until the scabs came off. Now it would take a whole lot more effort.

So ... currently not planning on it ... but only time will tell ... 

• Thanks 1

Also @nyc_wm45 can you elaborate on the research you did regarding the top NYC docs and the 4 schools of thought you outlined at the top of this thread? Is that 1 through 4 in rank order? There's a lot of anti-ARTAS sentiment on this forum, but at the same time everyone seems to recommend the Bernstein clinic which uses ARTAS exclusively for FUE...trying to square those two. Thanks in advance. Would also love to hear others thoughts. 

7 hours ago, NYC_32M said:

Also @nyc_wm45 can you elaborate on the research you did regarding the top NYC docs and the 4 schools of thought you outlined at the top of this thread? Is that 1 through 4 in rank order? There's a lot of anti-ARTAS sentiment on this forum, but at the same time everyone seems to recommend the Bernstein clinic which uses ARTAS exclusively for FUE...trying to square those two. Thanks in advance. Would also love to hear others thoughts. 

If you want FUE and want to stay in NYC, then Dorin and Wesley are the best surgeons. Bloxham basically only does FUT and Bernstein used artas, which sucks. 

On 7/13/2022 at 9:55 PM, Buck Naked said:

If you want FUE and want to stay in NYC, then Dorin and Wesley are the best surgeons. Bloxham basically only does FUT and Bernstein used artas, which sucks. 

I saw the anti-ARTAS sentiment ... but if you get through the fluff you see out there, that yeah - too many wannabes buy ARTAS machines and start selling themselves as "hair surgeons", ARTAS is a good tool, but to use it right, it has to be used by a proper doctor.

They say  "oh ARTAS uses 1mm punch" ... no - Wolfeld used 0.75 punch on me.

There is a reason Bernstein is a leader in the field of using ARTAS for extraction (and Wolfeld worked for / with him for a long time and co-wrote many of the research papers)

Anyway ... Wesley has tremendous reputation, but like I said, the wait to get an appointment was just to say - LONG.

As I said - I saw one doctor before Wolfeld, and even though I paid the 200 for the consult ... I didn't get the right vibe ... with Wolfeld the whole experience was fantastic, and my result is pretty awesome (and still growing)

• Administrators

So he used the ARTAS?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1. He made insertion slits by hand before the extraction (said that was better, as coagulation helps).

2. Extraction was done by the machine (he operated it, he said he used 0.75 punch on ARTAS).

3. Insertions were done by his staff (they seemed excellent fwiw)

My 2220 grafts ended up costing arnd 15k.  Seemed in line with other doctors I checked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 8:42 AM, Barnan12550 said:

I am almost 2 weeks post op from 2200 with Dr.  Wolfled. I am so happy with him, he and his staff were so nice and amazing. 

I CANNOT wait for my hair to start growing! Lol

63CBE2E8-1620-438F-BE86-6EB1CC3FF6B4.jpeg

EA5F30DD-C4D2-47B5-8F0D-515D6FB0955A.jpeg

how's the progress?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey buddy, not too bad. I think the hairs that are there are just the ones that hadn’t fallen out. I don’t believe there is any new hair growth that I can see. Ive just hit my 16 weeks on the 2nd. 

im happy with what’s there now, just hoping I see a lot more growth. Lol 

A0DAADFF-D9E2-4729-8559-13F6253F6368.jpeg

CB298F4E-B901-48E9-AC1B-42EA9D3231CA.jpeg

On 8/11/2022 at 9:18 PM, Barnan12550 said:

Hey buddy, not too bad. I think the hairs that are there are just the ones that hadn’t fallen out. I don’t believe there is any new hair growth that I can see. Ive just hit my 16 weeks on the 2nd. 

im happy with what’s there now, just hoping I see a lot more growth. Lol 

A0DAADFF-D9E2-4729-8559-13F6253F6368.jpeg

CB298F4E-B901-48E9-AC1B-42EA9D3231CA.jpeg

It does take a while ... I've just passed a year ... and soooo many stubbly hairs popping out still I can feel 10s with my fingertips ... OVER A YEAR!!!

So yeah, it's a process ... 

Gotcha, yeah I know it does and I appreciate the reassurance. I was looking at your growth and looks like yours had come in with a good base within the 5 month mark. I feel like the only thing I see now are the ones that didn’t shed in the beginning just cause they’re long. I do feel some stubbles for sure.