Buzz Cut 1 to 3 years after surgery (fue)

Hey guys. I know the reason for hair transplants is to grow your hair out to a reasonable length, (i'll probably wear mine 2 inches) but I'm curious about the No. 2 and up buzz cut. (not 6 months after - but a good 1 to 3 years). I'll be getting my surgery with Eugenix fairly soon and know that, depending on the hairline success, I'd like to wear it very short from time to time. 

Anyone have any references/forum members that might have those pics up?

Edited by GaryStruthers

• GaryStruthers changed the title to Buzz Cut 1 to 3 years after surgery (fue)

It all depends on how your hair grows.  Ethnicity has something to do with it.  For example, Oriental hair tends to stick out and requires length to drop.  Anglo falls down right away so an inch is typically enough.  Also, if your hair is wavy, this will allow for more lateral coverage, etc.  But, as you said, the reason for transplants is to have more hair - and to show it.  Start experimenting.  Ask the barber to cut the hair as short as he can without seeing scalp.  That should be the length.  If you're doing FUE, find out if the doctor will be using an instrument .9 or smaller.  You will start seeing scars if bigger - this then will become an issue.  

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I think most experienced FUE docs are using .50 punches for the most part and the healed extraction sites are very hard to see even with a buzz cut...just make sure the surgeon spaces out the extractions far enough in proximity so you do not end up with a moth-eaten appearance.

If you heal well, the donor post-op should look fine and the recipient area should be okay with a shorter hair style... but just keep in mind that the difference in density may be more noticeable with a buzzed cut, visually speaking.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

The truth is you need some hair length to get the illusion of density. In my experience, medium length hair provides the best appearance. If your hair is too long or too short, it will not look as good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I know in my own situation my crown and mid-scalp were thin and I used to wear the length at approximately 3 inches…for the last several years I have grown out the frontal zone and as much of my mid-scalp to double that length and now I not only have more visual hair volume but I can completely cover my crown and it looks like lots more hair…😎

• Like 2

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, gillenator said:

I know in my own situation my crown and mid-scalp were thin and I used to wear the length at approximately 3 inches…for the last several years I have grown out the frontal zone and as much of my mid-scalp to double that length and now I not only have more visual hair volume but I can completely cover my crown and it looks like lots more hair…😎

Very true 🙌🏼

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin, based on your pics, it appears that your hair length on top is as long as 6 inches?

• Like 1

Gillenator

I got my 2,000 graft FUE hair transplant back in 2014, and I've been fortunate enough to not have needed a followup procedure at this point. I consistently get a buzz cut on the back and sides using a 1 guard - but it took me a few years to be able to do that. In the earlier stages, I felt that the lack of density in the donor area was more noticeable when I cut it super short, but once everything healed and my hair found its growth rhythm again, I started getting more confident going shorter and nobody (not even the barber) notices anything. 

I've also buzzed it completely over the years and thought the recipient area also looked great. All of that to say, it's possible, but I do imagine it varies person to person and case by case. There's a good chance you'll be able to pull it off without an issue, but you also need to be willing to adjust your expectations accordingly should you need to swerve a bit with your hair style. :)

• Like 2

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56