Is there a chance I might have damaged my grafts ?

Sorry I have to open yet another thread but I’m really worried I might have damaged the grafts permanently and would like to know your opinions on this. 

It’s very hot where I am and while going out the first time since my OP (yesterday was day 15) I was under direct sun light and also sweated because of the weather. My scalp looks completely normal since day 12 so I was happy to finally be able to go out again but completely forget about how bad the sun is for transplanted hair. Some say it might cause damage others say it’s fine because the grafts are supposed to be strong by now.

I just wonder, did anyone here experience the same ? Being under the sun and sweating like 2 weeks after your OP ? Did it affect the results ?

• Administrators

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Hello and thanks for the video. I haven’t blooded a single time on my scalp post surgery and I’m also past day 10 so judging by your video I don’t have to worry ?

Problem is there are many articles online that say that sun exposure could damage the grafts and recommend staying away from it for a month or even more. I was at day 15 yesterday and it was really hot and sunny here, I also sweated so I’m really worried about having damaged grafts now..

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Beno99 said:

Hello and thanks for the video. I haven’t blooded a single time on my scalp post surgery and I’m also past day 10 so judging by your video I don’t have to worry ?

Problem is there are many articles online that say that sun exposure could damage the grafts and recommend staying away from it for a month or even more. I was at day 15 yesterday and it was really hot and sunny here, I also sweated so I’m really worried about having damaged grafts now..

I wouldn’t be worried too much, just make sure you wear a hat moving forward.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

How many minutes was your scalp exposed to the sun?...and what was the UV rating that day?...and most important, did you experience any sunburn to your recipient area?

Edited by gillenator
  • Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

6 hours ago, gillenator said:

How many minutes was your scalp exposed to the sun?...and what was the UV rating that day?...and most important, did you experience any sunburn to your recipient area?

I don’t really know the exact amount of minutes. It was a few hours for sure I would say between 2-3. It was between 35-39 degrees that day.

I don’t think I experienced any sunburn since my scalp/skin looks and feels exactly the same as before. I have no redness at all.

I wonder how big the chance is that my grafts are damaged now. So far I have experienced zero change but I still fear they might be damaged and not grow properly anymore because of this..

Only time will tell but since you did not experience sunburn, IMHO you will be okay...keep us posted on your progress.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:47 PM, gillenator said:

Only time will tell but since you did not experience sunburn, IMHO you will be okay...keep us posted on your progress.

@gillenator not OP, but I had a HT on my crown and 7 months post surgery got a pretty red sunburn on my crown. Do you think this could affect crown growth, or by 7 months it will have no effect?

It takes some time post-op for the newly transplanted follicles to connect to a new blood supply when they are moved to a new area of the scalp…so having them exposed to high UV rays to the point of sunburn can potentially damage them.

The other variable is how deep the sunburn reaches into the scalp…in most cases it only damages the outer layer (epidermis) so IMHO, because you were 7 months post-op, my premonition is that your grafts were already well established in a new blood supply.

So my 2 questions for you are, “did your sunburn extend deep into the dermis layer where the blood supply exists”,  and did this burn have any negative effect on the regrowth of your grafts?”

Gillenator

On 8/2/2021 at 2:23 PM, gillenator said:

It takes some time post-op for the newly transplanted follicles to connect to a new blood supply when they are moved to a new area of the scalp…so having them exposed to high UV rays to the point of sunburn can potentially damage them.

The other variable is how deep the sunburn reaches into the scalp…in most cases it only damages the outer layer (epidermis) so IMHO, because you were 7 months post-op, my premonition is that your grafts were already well established in a new blood supply.

So my 2 questions for you are, “did your sunburn extend deep into the dermis layer where the blood supply exists”,  and did this burn have any negative effect on the regrowth of your grafts?”

@gillenator sorry for the delay! attached are 3 pics I took of the sunburn. does it look like a severe burn? It was pretty red, but wasn't painful and went away the same as any other sunburn, maybe 4-5 days or so. 

Thoughts?

Thanks. 

sunburn 3.jpg

sunburn 2.jpg

sunburn.jpg

• Administrators
6 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

@gillenator sorry for the delay! attached are 3 pics I took of the sunburn. does it look like a severe burn? It was pretty red, but wasn't painful and went away the same as any other sunburn, maybe 4-5 days or so. 

Thoughts?

Thanks. 

sunburn 3.jpg

sunburn 2.jpg

sunburn.jpg

You should be fine

View my thread

I agree…it does appear to be a severe burn

Question:  Was there any blistering?

Gillenator

4 hours ago, gillenator said:

I agree…it does appear to be a severe burn

Question:  Was there any blistering?

no blistering fortunately. just pretty red for a few days. still think I could have hurt the grafts without blistering? thanks. 

Time will tell my friend...keep us posted on your progress and I wish you the best.

Gillenator

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2021 at 3:17 AM, Beno99 said:

Sorry I have to open yet another thread but I’m really worried I might have damaged the grafts permanently and would like to know your opinions on this. 

It’s very hot where I am and while going out the first time since my OP (yesterday was day 15) I was under direct sun light and also sweated because of the weather. My scalp looks completely normal since day 12 so I was happy to finally be able to go out again but completely forget about how bad the sun is for transplanted hair. Some say it might cause damage others say it’s fine because the grafts are supposed to be strong by now.

I just wonder, did anyone here experience the same ? Being under the sun and sweating like 2 weeks after your OP ? Did it affect the results ?

Any update???

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 10:26 AM, Jb2828 said:

Any update???

Hey. Yeah it turned out fine. I sweated and was under the sun more than I should during the first month but it didn’t cause any damage to my hair transplant.

• Like 2
  • Well Done 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2023 at 5:02 AM, Beno99 said:

Hey. Yeah it turned out fine. I sweated and was under the sun more than I should during the first month but it didn’t cause any damage to my hair transplant.

That’s great news!

Gillenator