Dr. Bisanga - FUE - DHI or Sapphire: A Marketing Gimmick?! Why Every Follicle Matters!

In this episode of "Bitesize with Bisanga", Dr. Bisanga discusses the current trend of marketing gimmicks such as DHI and Sapphire and how some clinics use them as a mere marketing strategy to attract patients by selling "superior techniques".

Dr. Bisanga shares why every single hair follicle matters as a finite resource that must be respected and he details his preferred approach in terms of order of proceedings on surgery day.

• Like 2

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

15 hours ago, deeznuts said:

I thought DHI just meant they use an implanter pen instead of forceps + incisions

DHI stands for direct hair implantation. It is different to an implanter pen as the site being made and the graft being placed occurs within the same process.
Implanter pens are used to place into pre-made recipient sites.
DHI is FUE surgery, but simply utilising a different tool. Just like with any tool in FUE and the debate of manual or motorised, the most important element is the controller, ie. the surgeon. Whilst some respected doctors may prefer to use DHI, it is also very prominent in low cost technician led clinics whose goal is to perform surgery more quickly, and with more patients each day as DHI essentially "cuts out" the independent process of placing. When the desire for speed becomes a factor, quality of surgery will also suffer.

The risk of cobblestoning, tenting, low density, extensive popping of grafts are just a few of many concerns with DHI.

I have known patients and have read reviews on this very forum, from guys who have completed a 4500 graft surgery within 4 hours. Wow. It would take Dr. Bisanga and his team twice as long to complete half of that. The irony is that these cheaper clinics as a result, charge more in terms of an hourly rate than higher end clinics.

7 hours ago, Oceanperson said:

Does it matter when they talk about the type of machines they use? I see on the websites they always use different machines but each one claims they are good or unique technology..

In general, clinics who use tools to sell their services over their surgeons experience, patient results, patient reviews, stellar reputation etc. do so for a reason. If their unique and strongest "selling point" is the tools that they use, this really presents more questions than it does answers.

It is important to correctly match the equipment and procedure to the patient. No two patients are exactly alike so it is important to have a selection of tools and a variety of methods to succeed in ALL patients. Every aspect of any procedure has to be individualised to the patients needs.

• Like 3

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.