Has anyone decided to go the hair transplant route without taking Fin or Min, do you have any pictures and advice?

Hairtroubles

Hi there,

I am close to booking a hair transplant and do not want to go down the path of taking Fin or Min.  Has anyone here gone this route and I was wondering if you documented your journey, or have pictures of the progress?  Please do share as much as possible and any advice is appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, what went wrong in this guys transplant as this kind of scares me:  

I had two pretty successful transplants 10 years ago, and stopped fin and min within a year or so of the second procedure. The effect was catastrophic for me, which is why I just had my 3rd surgery.

I realize not everyone can tolerate fin, but I’d highly recommend you try it and see. I tolerate it really well and had no excuse stopping it. I still consider discontinuing fin one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Unless your hairloss has somehow stabilized, if a hair transplant is in your future, I’d say at least consider getting on it and see how you respond.

Edited by Parasol
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Parasol said:

The effect was catastrophic for me, which is why I just had my 3rd surgery.

Out of curiosity, what happened? And what was the timeline like? Sorry to hear. Aside, it's my belief, as well as many others, including surgeons, that if you get a HT then you need to take meds, whether in pill form or topical.

FUT procedure w/ Dr. K (2012)
Second FUT, Dr. K, Nov. 2020 (mini update)
Third procedure, FUE, Dr. K, 03/21, 400 beard to scar (latest update)

3 hours ago, champybaby said:

Out of curiosity, what happened? And what was the timeline like? 

I had somehow convinced myself that most of my transplanted zone was transplanted hairs anyway, so I didn’t need to continue taking the meds.

Within a couple years of surgery, I looked much much worse; to the point it was embarrassing telling people I had a transplant because it clearly looked like a failure (which it wasn’t).

I will say, I do feel like I lost a lot of the transplanted hair as well (which meds could have helped me keep), but to be fair, I haven’t had that assessed by a doctor so I can’t be 100% sure on that.

Edited by Parasol

The math is simple with this. Hair loss is progressive, you will continue to lose hair, there is very little case for “stabilizing some day”. 

The other end of the equation is that compared to nature, hair transplants are mediocre. Even if you had an unlimited supply (which may be possible one day) you won’t achieve the same density, but the current truth is you have very little in your donor to get your whole head covered. So you’ll chase as you lose more, and eventually you won’t be able to get coverage. 

there are plenty of things to try now, and lots of good stuff coming in the future. I would explore med route and at least try it yourself over a year before making judgment on what it’s doing for you 

• Like 1